• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte March - April

Worldtraveller

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I completed the CF mid-March - April 2022 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience and journey. I am planning the Camino El Norte from mid-March - April 2023. Has anyone walked the Norte route this year to comment on the availability of the Albergues? I am aware it is still early in the year, but in most bigger towns and cities, some of the albergues should be opened, correct?

Also, the Camino Ninja app was very useful and helpful for the CF. It was simple and reliable and informative, but unfortunately, the northern route is not on it. I found the Buen Camino app confusing and not as good as the Camino Ninja. Any recommendations on apps for the northern route worth looking into?

Any helpful comments or suggestions on the northern route would be appreciated. I am aware there will be more rain at the time of the year along the coast...it is the best time I can get that time off :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked 2 weeks starting in mid-March this year, 2022. We did find accommodations more challenging than our Camino Frances caminos pre-COVID. We had a tough time finding accommodation in Deba (only hotel booked out weeks in advance), Markina Xemein (none available at all - so very loooong day to Bolibar), Gernika (got one of the last few hotel rooms). But I expect things will be better next year as this year the Norte was just waking up after COVID.

We did most of our pre-Camino research with the excellent Cicerone Camino Del Norte and Camino Primitivo book by Whitson and Perazzoli. On the way, we used a combination of the Wise Pilgrim app and GPS tracks from the above book when presented with choices or uncertainty. For accommodations, a mixture of Wise Pilgrim, Gronze, Booking.com, and regular old Google Maps. To be fair, we were not constrained by price for accommodations and made do with mostly private rooms when albergues were not available (often) or we felt like the need.

If you are adventurous, and the tide is out, don't miss dropping down to the (really) rocky beach for the Basque Coast Geopark as outlined here: http://davewhitson.com/index.php/2019/11/27/two-coastal-mini-short-cuts-on-the-norte/

Buen Camino!

For the Norte - I found the Gronze.com website to be very helpful in getting information about accommodations along the route. It also lets you know if the place is reservable - and if yes - it gives either phone, email, web, or even booking.com link to make the reservation (depending on the accommodation - one contact info or all may be available on gronze). It also describes where many places are in relation to the actual Camino or within the town. Site is in Spanish but a Chrome browser can translate it. When researching my late May-end of June Camino - I found many albergues don't open until June/July - but there is usually private accommodation where the albergues are closed (not always though - some towns have limited to no accommodations). I also noticed on the Norte - albergue opening/registration times are generally later in the day than on the Frances route (i.e. on the Frances I could check in at 1pm most of the time and on the Norte check in may not be until 3 or 4pm). This worked out because the distances were a little further apart for the Norte stages than the Frances stages - but there were days where I had to find a place to wait.

For other info - I like the Wise Pilgrim app.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked 2 weeks starting in mid-March this year, 2022.

Buen Camino!
Thanks, tjz. Great information, and as you said hopefully accommodation will open up more after COVID. Will definitely take your advice and check out Basque Coast Geopark...it looks awesome!

Thanks, tjz. Great information, and as you said hopefully accommodation will open up more after COVID. Will definitely take your advice and check out Basque Coast Geopark...it looks awesome!
Just so you know - there weren't a lot of albergues on the Norte even before COVID. The majority of albergues have reopened... but they are historically more seasonal on the Norte. More albergues are open when more tourists are in town... which is the summer months, especially July and August when they all try to be open. Lots were open in June. Lots were closed in May - especially earlier May.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.