• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte - starting October 21st - walking solo

Vero.allard

Time of past OR future Camino
Will start early September 2016, Norte or Frances
Hello everyone,

I've been monitoring this forum for a while, but first time poster. I've found so much useful info here, I'm very thankful to everyone keeping this forum alive and relevant. I plan to start from Irun on October 21st or 22nd, at the latest. It will be my first Camino, but I've been on the traveling for a while now and I think I will be ok with the more challenging Camino Del Norte. I've read a lot about both the Frances and Del Norte, and like many wasn't sure on which one to chose. I prefer avoiding the crowds and walking with a camino family isn't essential to me. It seems Del Norte is hence the best choice for me. My main concern is finding albergues still opened that late in the season. Will the albergues in Irun still be open? I will have to get my credencial. And what about other stops on the way? Do you think it will be an issue finding opened municipal albergues? Budget is a concern so more expensive hotels or pensions aren't really an option. I do have a lightweight tent (less than 2 kilos) and would love using it if needed. I'm however turning to the experienced pilgrims on this forum for advice.

Best,
Veronique

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

I've been monitoring this forum for a while, but first time poster. I've found so much useful info here, I'm very thankful to everyone keeping this forum alive and relevant. I plan to start from Irun on October 21st or 22nd, at the latest. It will be my first Camino, but I've been on the traveling for a while now and I think I will be ok with the more challenging Camino Del Norte. I've read a lot about both the Frances and Del Norte, and like many wasn't sure on which one to chose. I prefer avoiding the crowds and walking with a camino family isn't essential to me. It seems Del Norte is hence the best choice for me. My main concern is finding albergues still opened that late in the season. Will the albergues in Irun still be open? I will have to get my credencial. And what about other stops on the way? Do you think it will be an issue finding opened municipal albergues? Budget is a concern so more expensive hotels or pensions aren't really an option. I do have a lightweight tent (less than 2 kilos) and would love using it if needed. I'm however turning to the experienced pilgrims on this forum for advice.

Best,
Veronique

Hi Veronique.

Good for you for starting the Norte in October. I finished it yesterday (writing this in Santiago!) and can't begin to tell you what an amazing experience you will have. The albergue in Irun should be open and also the Albergue Juvenil in October.

I can't say about the others on the route, although I've checked out the albergues we stayed at for the first few nights towards Bilbao and they seem to be open all year. There will be less peregrinos doing the Norte in late October and I suspect that even though some albergues will be shut, you will not have a problem finding accommodation.

I downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app onto my iPhone, and that has details of most, although not all, albergues on the Norte and booking links for some. It's also helpful if you get lost as it includes a GPS trail of the route though not 100% up to date

The best thing I did in the UK beforehand was to upgrade my mobile phone package to include European data roaming. The 4G network along the Nirre is generally excellent and although the route marking is pretty good. there were a few moments I needed to check fhat I wasn't too off piste.

Do make sure you have wnough warm clothing. I thought for the first 3 weeks that my warm lightweight jacket was surplus weight, but turning south into Galicia it became a lot cooler in the evenings and I really welcomed it.

Have a brilliant time, and keep us posted with your adventures.

Buen Camino!

Pete

Hi, I have been on the Norte with a donkey and a tent, and also by bike. You will probably find the weather your biggest challenge at the time you are leaving, depending on where you start. You won't find cheap lodging closely spaced before Santander, but unless you insist on walking every step of the way the narrow gauge railway could be an option for some of the way. Personally I think the Plata might be a better Camino at that time of the year, it will probably be cold but not wet. The lodging problem will be the same however, at least before Toledo.
You can get your credential by post, here or from any of the associations. Does it have to be that time of the year? Could you leave in spring, with the days getting longer and the weather improving? Lightweight camping in November can be grim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Pete and Barbara,

I'm not too worried about the weather. I have enough warm gear. I have to go now. I already postponed from last spring. And this camino more or less will end a two year journey, traveling and volunteering in different places around the globe. I will look at the Plata route or maybe consider the Frances which might be less busy at that tie of the year. Thank you for the advice.

I went almost as late as you 2 years ago. Beautiful walk, but you will definitely feel the camino closing up behind you. Perhaps it has changed now, but when I started out neither the main Pilgrim alburgue nor the the main credential church in Irun were open at all! I ended up staying in the juvenile alburgue in Irun - but did not get a credential there. I got mine at the juvenile alburgue at the the far side of San Sebastian.

You've probably already thought of this, but as you will be walking late in the year, darkness will come early in the evening. There may be days when you will be finishing in the dark. Some sort of reflective clothing or attachment thereto will help keep you safe.

Godspeed.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate the sense of community on this forum. After some thinking I've decided to walk the Frances, hoping that it will not be too busy. As much as I like walking in solitude I'm thinking I might enjoy some company at the end of the day and perhaps the Norte, at that time of the year isn't the best. I'll be heading to SJPP on the 21st and should start walking on the 22nd. I now just have to decide if I bring the tent or not. I know you will all advise against and you are probably right. Would love to use it though, even if only for a few nights.

Vero

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know you will all advise against and you are probably right.
I do think it will be cold to camp, it's extra weight to carry, and it is illegal in many places. It will also isolate you from other pilgrims, especially at the end of the day when you say you would like company...and after walking in the cold, a warm shower is nice (which you won't get camping).
Buen Camino

Whichever way you choose, enjoy your Camino. With or without the tent. It should fit in a large post office box when you decide to send it ahead ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.