• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Starting the Camino del Norte January 30th 2024

Walking the north Camino at the moment... . definitely someone needs to improve the yellow arrows 😔 and unlike Camino Frances or Portuguese or the English Camino there is a confusing choice of routes....easy to get on the wrong path . However the big issue is the lack of good yellow arrows.
Did I say that closed albergues is another really big problem too.. after a long walk, really tired...closed albergues that were supposed to be open....e.g.onton, Castro Ordiales.....can someone check this.
Gronze shows Castro Urdiales as opening April 1st, and Onton opening March 1st, that close to opening I would call and check to make sure, it might be the first Monday after March 1st or something like that. Gronze is the most reliable website I've found for accomodations and has their phone numbers right there. There are a lot of alternative choices on the Norte, I always crosschecked the Buen Camino app map and the Gronze Maps app map(the app, not the website) to see the available routes so I didn't take the coastal variation when my albergue was on the inland route or vice versa. There was some overgrown path when I came through a month ago, I don't pack a machete so I stayed on the main road. The hostelero in Guéthery had said that they(some Camino association folks) were going out to clear some path in the coming days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gronze shows Castro Urdiales as opening April 1st, and Onton opening March 1st, that close to opening I would call and check to make sure, it might be the first Monday after March 1st or something like that. Gronze is the most reliable website I've found for accomodations and has their phone numbers right there. There are a lot of alternative choices on the Norte, I always crosschecked the Buen Camino app map and the Gronze Maps app map(the app, not the website) to see the available routes so I didn't take the coastal variation when my albergue was on the inland route or vice versa. There was some overgrown path when I came through a month ago, I don't pack a machete so I stayed on the main road. The hostelero in Guéthery had said that they(some Camino association folks) were going out to clear some path in the coming days.
Thanks for that.....will get gronze app....still del norte is complicated....I like things simple....However the walks along the sea are some compensation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gronze gets it wrong too ...took a detour to this hostel in Liendo yesterday....gronze says it is open all year ...it is not. Had to go on to Laredo....albergue in Laredo is open
It's often suggested on the forum to phone ahead on the day for exactly that reason. Gronze etc is only as accurate as the information given them.
When it's quiet, not all Hospitalero's will bother to open the door without a prior call. Plus, of course, personal situations come up which require dealing with.
I appreciate you like to keep it simple - I do too - however that simplicity can come with a cost.

No, Camera we haven't met any other pilgrims but there is three of us so we're not all alone. Jean Luc, the hostelero in Guéthery said we were the first of the year, Socorro in Bayonne said we were the second. I don't expect to see many, maybe any until we get on the Primitivo in 2 to 3 weeks.

We made it to Irùn today, we tried to take the coastal route to St Jean de Luz and at one point it was almost too overgrown to manage. We took the gr8 from Socoa to where it met up with the Camino track, most of the Camino was overgrown along the coast so we had to stay along the highway. Long day, good day, good to be back on Camino.
Congratulations and thanks a lot for the daily post!

I'm also planning to start my walk from Bayonne and thinking about taking the coatal route until Hendaye. In an old post from 2022 someone said the route doesnt't exist anymore, so I looked up in Google Map with Street View. Seems to be still walkable along the road behind the low fence. Did you also walk along the way like this and switch to the road when it's too overgrown? Would you still recommend to take the coastal route though?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok, morning of day one, we are on the Camino! we arrived yesterday 5pm in Bayonne. We (myself and my two Camino companions, Christine and Alyssa) checked in with Socorro Aguirre at her albergue, then she took us to the Cathedral to get our credentiales and a blessing from the priest. Socorro fed us soup, played a game with us and we got a much needed sleep after traveling for two days. Today we walk to Guéthery and stay at auberge GEO where we have made reservations. The weather is supposed to be nice today.
Which albergue did you stay in at Bayonne please?

I'm also planning to start my walk from Bayonne and thinking about taking the coatal route until Hendaye. In an old post from 2022 someone said the route doesnt't exist anymore, so I looked up in Google Map with Street View. Seems to be still walkable along the road behind the low fence. Did you also walk along the way like this and switch to the road when it's too overgrown? Would you still recommend to take the coastal route though?
The route was overgrown for us but we made it through, ducking under branches and getting stabbed with thorns. Jean Luc, the hostelero in Guéthery told us that he and some Camino association folks were heading out to clear path in the following days or weeks so I assume that it's been remedied. That's an assumption and what I would say is just go for it, if the route is too overgrown for you, you wouldn't have to back track that far, there were paths and roads to the left(often enough) to go around. I would ask Jean Luc, whether you stay in Guéthary or not, he speaks English and is very helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's listed on Gronze, the Socorro Aguirre Pilgrim Hostel, her number and email are there as well. I made my reservation via email, she responded promptly.
Thank you, I wasn't sure if that was the owners name or the Albergue name. How wonderful of her to take you to the priest for a blessing 🙌

Yes, go for it, sea on your right, keep going, lots of local advice if needed, but keep it simple

I found Gronze reasonable accurate

Day 11, February 9th, we left Islares in 18°, it was still a little bit breezy but nothing like the gales of the night before. We opted for the coastal route again (always) and were rewarded with some more spectacular views, the weather held out until we reached the Municipal hostel in Colindres(5€). We went out in the rain for a nice meal with money we saved on our beds for the night. This is the first real rain we've seen so far, there's been a few drops a couple evenings but I put on my rain jacket today for the first time since my layover in New York on the way here. There are wind advisories for tomorrow and a good chance of rain in the forecast so it will be.... interesting 🤔.View attachment 163756View attachment 163757View attachment 163758View attachment 163759View attachment 163760View attachment 163761View attachment 163762View attachment 163763View attachment 163764
Another question about this stage. I've seen there's a coastal route all the way from Castro Urdiales to Laredo, however it will pass Pico Solpico cliff and the Oriñón beach, which is said to be more difficult? Did you take this route or did you go to El Pontarrón de Guriezo first and then take the coastal route from Isequilla as the Gronze indicates?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another question about this stage. I've seen there's a coastal route all the way from Castro Urdiales to Laredo, however it will pass Pico Solpico cliff and the Oriñón beach, which is said to be more difficult? Did you take this route or did you go to El Pontarrón de Guriezo first and then take the coastal route from Isequilla as the Gronze indicates?
I'm sorry about the delay, I'm on another wander now. As I recall, we went through Pontarrón and Isquilla, not the first bit.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.