• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Novice

Margaret Coughlan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances 18 April 2016
Hi all,
I am embarking on my first Camino next month, April 18. I have heard the Camino calling me for a long time, however, it hasn't been until now that all the stars seemed to have aligned for me to do it next month. I am walking from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela then onto Muxia and Finisterre over a period of 40 days. It is with both great excitement and trepidation that I prepare for this pilgrimage, excitement about the experiences on the way, at the same time fear of the unknown. I am making this journey with not much more than a mind and heart that is open to whatever may happen on the way. I have found this forum very helpful in deciding what to take and what to leave.
There are still a couple of things I need to sort out before I go:
1. Accommodation in St Jean - as I arrive by train at 22:05 on April 17.
2. Phone and data arrangements - whilst this is a pilgrimage where I would like to let go of all attachments, I am mindful that I have been the main carer for my 91 year old father and I have a large family who are concerned that I am doing this journey by myself, and would like safety updates.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Turn your cellular data off on your smart phone--if that is what you use--and use the free local WIFI. It is more than sufficient, and free, which is a very good price!

You should plan for your accommodation ahead of time, and there are many places in SJPP, on the "main drag" so to speak.

The name of the place I stayed at is not right at hand, but I will check my records.

You will love this experience!

Welcome, Margaret! I'm happy that the stars have come together for you. Try not to have any trepidation (although I too had a little self-doubt) and I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.

To address your questions, there are phone options in Spain if you have an unlocked phone. You can either buy a sim card with service once you get into Spain (I stopped at the Movistar store in Pamplona and got a local sim card and basic service) or even have a pre-activated one sent to your home. I am also walking in April and used this website: http://www.simcardspain.es/en/. If you can wait until you're in the Albergues, Bar, etc with wifi, using Skype is also a great option if you have a smart phone or iPad. We use that primarily but for different reasons that you, I must always be reachable so need to have the phone service too.

I'd also recommend you sort out somewhere to stay in SJPDP before arriving as this is a holy year of sorts and will have many more people than a typical year. I booked a hotel on Booking.com about two weeks ago and many of the hotels were already full. This will also mean it's likely a good year to not follow the Brierley stages as Albergues in those stops will fill fast. Easy enough to stagger your days to stop in any number of smaller, lesser used towns and have a great experience just the same.

I'll leave a week before you but plan to spend extra days wandering through a number of cities so we may run into each other in the later stages! Until then I wish you a Buen Camino!
Jordon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Booking.com is often very good - but - most hotels allow the site only an alloted number of lodgings to book for them, sometimes only few sometimes many, should your answer come back "No Available Rooms" it means that there are none available through the site, contact the hotel/pension/B&B directly more often than not there will be no problem.

The hotels and the private hostels in SJPD are well acquainted with the train schedule, they know the train arrives after 2200, contact whichever you choose and they will warmly receive you.

Hi all,
I am embarking on my first Camino next month, April 18. I have heard the Camino calling me for a long time, however, it hasn't been until now that all the stars seemed to have aligned for me to do it next month.... I have found this forum very helpful in deciding what to take and what to leave.
2. Phone and data arrangements - whilst this is a pilgrimage where I would like to let go of all attachments, I am mindful that I have been the main carer for my 91 year old father and I have a large family who are concerned that I am doing this journey by myself, and would like safety updates.
Buen Camino
G'day Margaret and welcome to the forum.
One small recommendation, apart from booking a room in a regular hotel in St Jean, if you are flying from Brisbane direct to Paris and then on to St Jean you will need a full day in St Jean to get over the jet-lag and let your body adjust to local time zones. Whilst I have not been there I am told that St Jean is a lovely little town so take the time to walk around, do some exploring, and get you body onto European Summer time (8 hours behind your local time in Brisbane).
As for the camino - plan to walk a few short days for the first 3 or 4 - let you body/feet/system adjust. So if you are planning on the Napoleon Route make Orrison your first night stop and Roncesvalles your second night; if taking the alternate route then stop at Valcarlos (if you can't get a room here you can always get a taxi back to St Jean and then another early in the morning back to Valcarlos to resume your camino). So aim to take 4-5 days to reach Pamplona and even spend an extra half day here before continuing. Listen to what your body is telling you. Have a great camino and take joy in every step. Cheers

Accommodation in SJPdP will not be a problem in April after Easter, so you could jump right into the spirit of the Camino with the gite operated by the Pilgrim Office (no reservations required or taken). The office stays open until after the last train, so head straight there and they will supply a bed.

A SIM chip from France will incur roaming charges in Spain, so Pamplona will be your first opportunity to acquire cellular services for Spain. I always use Vodafone, but Movistar and Orange have improved their networks. You can get a SIM chip for an unlocked GSM or iPhone for 5-10E with 60 minutes of calls and text and 1.5gb of data, sufficient for email and occasional map reference, for 15E.

http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/es/tienda/movil/tourist-in-spain/

If you opt for a hotel room, I suggest Ramuntcho Hotel, reasonably priced for the town:

http://hotel-ramuntcho.com/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,
I am embarking on my first Camino next month, April 18. I have heard the Camino calling me for a long time, however, it hasn't been until now that all the stars seemed to have aligned for me to do it next month. I am walking from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela then onto Muxia and Finisterre over a period of 40 days. It is with both great excitement and trepidation that I prepare for this pilgrimage, excitement about the experiences on the way, at the same time fear of the unknown. I am making this journey with not much more than a mind and heart that is open to whatever may happen on the way. I have found this forum very helpful in deciding what to take and what to leave.
Buen Camino
Hello Margaret. No words of wisdom for you, just an introduction. Deb and I are departing SJDP April 17 but are booked for Orisson that evening then on to Roncesvalles. We plan to stay on in Spain until the end of June. We specifically did not want to impose a deadline on getting to Santiago however we estimate we will complete the journey in 5 to 6 weeks. That should give us plenty of time to smell the flowers along the way! I'm sure we will encounter each other along the way, looking forward to trading stories with you. Buen Camino

Hi all,
Buen Camino
When you arrive in SJPP you will be with a lot of other pilgrims. Some of whom have done this before. Everyone will walk from the train station to the pilgrim's office. In the Pilgrim's office they will get you squared away regarding the weather and recommendations for how to proceed and answer any questions. They will help you find accommodation for the night and point you in the direction of your albuergue. They will give you your passport booklet and stamp it for you too. You can also buy a shell from them for a couple of euro that you can attach to your pack.
On the same street there is a little store where you can buy anything you might need for trekking that you forgot or didn't know you needed.
At your albuergue the hospitalero/a will explain if there will be dinner or not, and point you in the direction of a place to eat if they don't provide it. The next morning you will see other peregrinos walking out of town. Follow them. You'll pass a place where you can get a sandwich for the road. You will have probably met a few people by now, and you might see them the next morning. You will definitely meet a few new people during that first day's walk. And in the albuergue the 2nd night nd so on. You will meet people you adore and then lose track of them when you take a rest day and think you will not see them again and then have a happy reunion in the most unexpected places.
Go and see your cellular provider and get whatever plan works for you. Make sure they know you want to call home whenever. If you want to post updates to facebook you'll probably need a data plan but WIFI is available in most albuergues now. You'll find yourself using your phone mostly for picture taking I'd wager. I also use mine for reading.
Safety isn't going to be a huge concern but of course you will want to be aware and prepared. Be mindful of your surroundings. Ask your hospitalero what the next day is like. If you're expecting long, lonely stretches pair up with other peregrinos. You will encounter MANY women in your age group walking alone.
If you like music I recommend talking a little MP3 player. Walking 8 hours a day can sometimes be a tad tedious. Get yourself an audiobook and make a couple of decent playlists. Mine has a lot of good Texas outlaw country music that puts a little pep in my step.

And just so you know - there is NO WAY to avoid all of the low grade anxiety and thrilled anticipation. All you can do is know it will be an adventure and you will get out of it what you put into it. Be prepared to make friends and be friendly and have a wonderful time and you WILL!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have heard the Camino calling me for a long time, however, it hasn't been until now that all the stars seemed to have aligned for me to do it next month.

Hi Margaret, and welcome also to the Forum.

Using your cellphone can for data can be very expensive. As @CaminoDebrita suggests, focus on the free wi-fi.

And leaving your father, for whom you are a principal carer giver will be hard for both of you. I am also sure the pilgrimage you are on will also be beneficial to both of you in ways that will unfold.

You do not mention your preparation. In my experience it is "mental" as well as physical, attuning my body and head to be able to cope with walking day after day and having to stretch, occasionally to make the next village.

Can you cope with some suggestion from my side of the ditch, noting you are about five weeks from leaving Brisbane? You may find it helpful to do as much hill work as you can before leaving, working up to, say, regularly achieving 700 metres of elevation before lunch. With your pack full of all the gear you will take with you.

Ultreia (keep striving)
Kia kaha (be strong / brave)
Buen Camino (good journey)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good advice in the above posts. Little to add, except:

It is with both great excitement and trepidation that I prepare for this pilgrimage, excitement about the experiences on the way, at the same time fear of the unknown.
Every one of my caminos has begun with excitement, trepidation, and fear of the unknown...but less so each time. It is part of the journey--and common to most. Focus on the Excitement part and know that all will be well...and a lot of the unknowns will turn out to be wonderful surprises.

I am making this journey with not much more than a mind and heart that is open to whatever may happen on the way.
An open mind and heart (along with good-fitting boots and pack) are the most important essentials, so it sounds like you will be well-prepared. Breathe. Smile. Have fun!!

Hi Margaret, and welcome also to the Forum.

Using your cellphone can for data can be very expensive. As @CaminoDebrita suggests, focus on the free wi-fi.

And leaving your father, for whom you are a principal carer giver will be hard for both of you. I am also sure the pilgrimage you are on will also be beneficial to both of you in ways that will unfold.

You do not mention your preparation. In my experience it is "mental" as well as physical, attuning my body and head to be able to cope with walking day after day and having to stretch, occasionally to make the next village.

Can you cope with some suggestion from my side of the ditch, noting you are about five weeks from leaving Brisbane? You may find it helpful to do as much hill work as you can before leaving, working up to, say, regularly achieving 700 metres of elevation before lunch. With your pack full of all the gear you will take with you.

Ultreia (keep striving)
Kia kaha (be strong / brave)
Buen Camino (good journey)
I am taking heed of your advice that I need to get some elevation into my walking preparation. We head off in 55 days :)

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back