• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in late March for two weeks with two 11 yr olds

Workers3233

Time of past OR future Camino
Not yet
Finally I am hoping to do the Camino next March/April. We have two weeks. Me and two children. I had hoped to do this 3 years ago but something got in the way. We are now fitter, stronger and its time.

Any advice on which section of the Camino we might do? We come from the UK and will fly from Gatwick.

All suggestions of other threads i should read or books I should buy are welcome! Also kit wise - what is the weather like in April?

thank you all and Buen Camino! xx

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm sure others will chime in on which section to do, but I'll leave you with the books that helped add a richness to our children's caminos.

Favourite novels that we read aloud and which our boys particularly liked:
I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth B. de Trevino
Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska
The Andalusian Guitar by Saint-Marcoux (translated into English, this reads part suspenseful-story, part travel-guide, part Spanish culture introduction…..we learnt a lot)
* Don Quixote…OK, so not the whole thing - we listened to an audio version for kids, AND Marcia Williams has made this epic tale most accessible in cartoon form too

11-year-olds might think they are too old for picture books, but if they are open to it, these are lovely:
* The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
* Anno’s Spain (oh, it’s so wonderfully rich in detail)
* Dali and the Path of Dreams by Anna Obiols (a memorable story about the artist Savlvador Dali with a good little biography at the back)
* Picasso’s Trousers by Nicholas Allan (as memorable as the Dali story)
* Prince of the Birds by Amanda Hall

We borrowed everything the library had; most were merely informative, but the following were gems.
* Find Out About Spain by Duncan Crosbie
* A Taste of Spain by Bob Goodwin (had recipes in it that we tried out in our own kitchen and thoroughly enjoyed)
* The Story of Pablo Picasso by Liz Gogerly (Lifetimes series)
* Pablo Picasso by Kate Scarborough (Artists in Their World series)
* What Makes a Goya a Goya?

Happy to share more, especially if you have questions specifically about walking with kids...but you will find plenty on the forum if you do a wee search.

I'm sure others will chime in on which section to do, but I'll leave you with the books that helped add a richness to our children's caminos.

Favourite novels that we read aloud and which our boys particularly liked:
I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth B. de Trevino
Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska
The Andalusian Guitar by Saint-Marcoux (translated into English, this reads part suspenseful-story, part travel-guide, part Spanish culture introduction…..we learnt a lot)
* Don Quixote…OK, so not the whole thing - we listened to an audio version for kids, AND Marcia Williams has made this epic tale most accessible in cartoon form too

11-year-olds might think they are too old for picture books, but if they are open to it, these are lovely:
* The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
* Anno’s Spain (oh, it’s so wonderfully rich in detail)
* Dali and the Path of Dreams by Anna Obiols (a memorable story about the artist Savlvador Dali with a good little biography at the back)
* Picasso’s Trousers by Nicholas Allan (as memorable as the Dali story)
* Prince of the Birds by Amanda Hall

We borrowed everything the library had; most were merely informative, but the following were gems.
* Find Out About Spain by Duncan Crosbie
* A Taste of Spain by Bob Goodwin (had recipes in it that we tried out in our own kitchen and thoroughly enjoyed)
* The Story of Pablo Picasso by Liz Gogerly (Lifetimes series)
* Pablo Picasso by Kate Scarborough (Artists in Their World series)
* What Makes a Goya a Goya?

Happy to share more, especially if you have questions specifically about walking with kids...but you will find plenty on the forum if you do a wee search.
Hello again - you replied to my post about doing the walk with my children four years ago!! I thought i recognised your name! I am finally getting my act together and after two years of ill health, want to get walking again.
Thank you for the book recommendations - really appreciated. We are big readers so will take a look at the list on the weekend. I am very interested in route and hostel recommendations - and whether we need to book accomodation now? I am leaving the UK around 27/28 March 2024 and return on Sunday 14th April. My children are fit and active (both will be 12 next July) - I will slow them down most likely! But any thoughts on distances / possible places to stop/itinerary / hostels etc are welcome.
thank you!
Lucy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would recommend the Portugues from Porto. Most start there so there isn't that feeling of joining a Camino in the middle. There is plenty of infrastructure to support flexibility. And you get to experience both Portuguese and Spanish cultures.

Hi Lucy
I would NOT book anything past the first night or two, but you have to work out what works for you. Many people walk without doing any booking whatsoever. Flexibility is probably the main reason - the ability to take your time and stop somewhere you find interesting or stop if you are injured or to walk on for miles if you are feeling like it.
Is getting a compostela important to you or the children? If so, you'll want to work out how far you can comfortably walk in a day (you'll find that out by taking walks at home and then adding a bit coz you can always go farther on the camino than when you have other home responsibilities!) and multiply that by the number of days you want to be walking (remember to account for your travelling time). Then work back from there to find your start point on whichever route takes your fancy. Check out gronze for your options.
If, however, you want to make this the beginning of a multi-year project that will eventually end in Santiago, I'd choose a spot far away! In many ways, this is the easiest option because it doesn't matter how far you can manage to walk - you'll just set out and see where you get to and then take a bus or train back to wherever you'll catch your plane from on the designated day.
Let's say you start in Pamplona and start off walking about 10km a day and end up doing 15...if you've got 14 walking days you could make it to Belorado, which is a good enough transport hub to get to wherever you need to. If, however, you can walk 20km a day, in that same time frame you would be able to get to Castrojeriz.
If I were drawn to starting far away I'd be looking at maps with the kids and wondering aloud where we might get to. I'd probably pull out books and WITH THEM google some places along the way and see if there are any images that capture their imagination...see if there's anything they want to explore - maybe the castle ruins at Castrojeriz or the cathedral at Burgos (or not - lol) Actually, I'd be doing that bit regardless of which route we settled on.

Hi Lucy
I would NOT book anything past the first night or two, but you have to work out what works for you. Many people walk without doing any booking whatsoever. Flexibility is probably the main reason - the ability to take your time and stop somewhere you find interesting or stop if you are injured or to walk on for miles if you are feeling like it.
Is getting a compostela important to you or the children? If so, you'll want to work out how far you can comfortably walk in a day (you'll find that out by taking walks at home and then adding a bit coz you can always go farther on the camino than when you have other home responsibilities!) and multiply that by the number of days you want to be walking (remember to account for your travelling time). Then work back from there to find your start point on whichever route takes your fancy. Check out gronze for your options.
If, however, you want to make this the beginning of a multi-year project that will eventually end in Santiago, I'd choose a spot far away! In many ways, this is the easiest option because it doesn't matter how far you can manage to walk - you'll just set out and see where you get to and then take a bus or train back to wherever you'll catch your plane from on the designated day.
Let's say you start in Pamplona and start off walking about 10km a day and end up doing 15...if you've got 14 walking days you could make it to Belorado, which is a good enough transport hub to get to wherever you need to. If, however, you can walk 20km a day, in that same time frame you would be able to get to Castrojeriz.
If I were drawn to starting far away I'd be looking at maps with the kids and wondering aloud where we might get to. I'd probably pull out books and WITH THEM google some places along the way and see if there are any images that capture their imagination...see if there's anything they want to explore - maybe the castle ruins at Castrojeriz or the cathedral at Burgos (or not - lol) Actually, I'd be doing that bit regardless of which route we settled on.
Thank you for this - super helpful and very wise! Part of me wants to finish in Santiago for the kids' sake - it would be amazing for them to walk for two weeks and actually finish. For me I am not sure. I am sure to come back so we could do as you suggest and start far away. If we did this, is the weather too unreliable to start in SJPP? I understand we would probably have to take the lower route to Roncesvalles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Part of me wants to finish in Santiago for the kids' sake - it would be amazing for them to walk for two weeks and actually finish.
Totally understand this. In fact, our first camino was from Astorga! We didn't yet know if we liked day-after-day walking. Turned out we did! I would be inclined to ask the kids what THEIR preference is and reasons why to see if you can all land on a solution that works for all of you.

How about the Portuguese from Porto? I met a sweet 10 year old girl in April on the CP.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lucy
Given we will be potentially starting the weekend of Easter week, I may need to book more accommodation than I would normally? I read a lot on here about how busy the Camino gets during that week.

I have always wanted to do the Camino - but how does the Portuguese compare as I know nothing about it!

The Portugues is a fine Camino, rapidly gaining in popularity. Most people start either 100 km from Santiago in Valença/Tui (on the Central Route) or Vigo (on the Coastal Route) or further away in Porto. North of Porto there is plenty of infrastructure and it is well supported making it a fine choice for a first Camino or for walking with children. There is plenty of historical documentation of this route going back to the middle ages. It isn't as mountainous as some parts of the Frances but there are some hills. Mostly it is walking between villages and small towns, either close to the Atlantic (Coastal) or through agricultural land (Central). It isn't as epic as walking from France, but you can't get that in a two or three week Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Portugues is a fine Camino, rapidly gaining in popularity. Most people start either 100 km from Santiago in Valença/Tui (on the Central Route) or Vigo (on the Coastal Route) or further away in Porto. North of Porto there is plenty of infrastructure and it is well supported making it a fine choice for a first Camino or for walking with children. There is plenty of historical documentation of this route going back to the middle ages. It isn't as mountainous as some parts of the Frances but there are some hills. Mostly it is walking between villages and small towns, either close to the Atlantic (Coastal) or through agricultural land (Central). It isn't as epic as walking from France, but you can't get that in a two or three week Camino.
David thank you for this - it sounds really lovely and I am being persuaded!
Could you possibly advise whether we should do the Coastal Route or the Central route - are they the same distance and how many days should we budget for?
Also I am coming from the UK with the children. We could fly direct to Porto but it is very expensive. Is the alternative to fly to either Lisbon or Madrid? If you have any other suggestions do let me know. It is very helpful to have your advice.
thank you again
Lucy

David thank you for this - it sounds really lovely and I am being persuaded!
Could you possibly advise whether we should do the Coastal Route or the Central route - are they the same distance and how many days should we budget for?
Also I am coming from the UK with the children. We could fly direct to Porto but it is very expensive. Is the alternative to fly to either Lisbon or Madrid? If you have any other suggestions do let me know. It is very helpful to have your advice.
thank you again
Lucy
I mostly did the Central Route and can't speak too much to the Coastal. I think the Coastal may be slightly longer but I think they are pretty close. I took 13 days to go from Porto to Vila do Conde along the river and coast, and then crossing over to the Central at Arcos and walking the Central from there. Most people take less days. I had a few days of just about 16 km so I was taking it pretty easy.

I flew into and out of Lisbon and took the train to Porto. I expect there are buses as well. Another option would be to fly into and out of Santiago de Compostela and bus down from SdC to Porto when you arrive.

If you are going to do the Portugues Central, I would advise making reservations at Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

Given we will be potentially starting the weekend of Easter week, I may need to book more accommodation than I would normally? I read a lot on here about how busy the Camino gets during that week.
I’ve not walked at Easter so don’t know for certain. Municipal albergues cannot be booked and I wonder if you did short enough days to be at the beginning of the queue, you might be fine - but someone who knows more than me might be able to advise otherwise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always wanted to do the Camino - but how does the Portuguese compare as I know nothing about it!
I have done both the Frances and the Portuguese. Both are great! The Portuguese is good for a shorter Camino - some people do it quick in nine days or some take 2 weeks. I took I think 12 days. There is a coastal route and a central route. It doesn’t get busy until Tui when a lot of groups start just like Sarria on the CF.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.