• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino March 2012

kiwichick

Hello everyone,

My name is Linda and I'm starting my Camino on the 1st of March 2012 from St Jean. My sister calls this a soul journey - isn't that lovely?

My Camino has been coming up regularly and in the most obscure ways for over 3 years now and the moment I surrendered to the call of this walk was the moment that help and guidance came from everywhere - a workmate who's partner (also named Linda!) is currently on the walk, an office temp who's cousin has done the Camino twice and very generously agreed to talk to me, Christmas sales, the very backpack I was looking for appearing in my e-mail Inbox at work - completely random!

I am now counting down to my departure from Australia on the 27th of February and it feels as if all of the pesky voices in my head that have held me back have become louder and louder - I'm too old (I'm only 42!!), I'm too unfit (element of truth here but heck, it's not a sprint and I know how to walk and have begun my training), I'm going to fail (who knows) and I'm going to make a fool of myself (what else is new!).

So to console myself that I am not the first person to embark on such an out-of-character adventure, I log on to this forum and read all manner of encouragement, advice and funny tales from other brave pilgrims.

So I would like to thank all of you who take the time to type out advice, share your stories and provide suggestions - it makes a difference and you should never underestimate the impact these moments have.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Linda,
Welcome to the forum.
Enjoy your time of preparation, March should be a nice time to start.
Buen Camino
Col

Hello Linda
I'm 63 in about 9 days and heard the Camino mentioned 3 times in 24 hour period in mid 2011 so I took it as a sign to go. I'm an average person, average fitness and I tell myself not to place a measuring stick against myself when doing the walk. One step at a time so to say. If I achieve doing the distance that good......if I don't then that's ok too.
I'll be walking around the 10th of March (2012) so maybe our paths will cross somewhere. Whatever - I wish you a buen camino.
cjm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Linda, I'm one of the wrinkly "just retired" who have been planning their Camino on a desk-top for years and have suddenly realised it's happening this March. I'm in "training" - walking the dog every day - and leaving one more item out every time I have a practice pack.

Buon Camino. Hope to see you on the Way.

Linda, Tincatinker and cjm...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

A positive attitude always trumps a negative one

A good plan today...is better than the perfect plan never

Anytime you think you're lost...you're exactly where you're at

Your Camino will be exactly the same as everyone else's...only different

Have a great walk along the Way...it's already begun.

Buen Camino,

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enjoy your preparation Linda, we all could do more, in reality all we have to do is turn up & start walking a step @ a time; I'm a first timer too, got lots of niggles & will prob. have to carry my partner sack too, she's not that well/fit, but hay-hoe we always enjoy what ever comes our way, be great to live the dream :lol:
Good Luck

David

I walked in March 2008. I found March to be a great month to walk. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Linda,

Hi this is Carlo from USA. I too will start my journey right after March 8 2012 (St Jean to Santiago). I will arrive in Europe Feb 2 and will travel around for approx 5 wks (Spain, France, Benelux, Italy) before I head off to the Camino (most likely from Milan to Paris then to St Jean). :D

I am hoping that the March/April month of this year will have tamed weather!!!

Hope to meet you there. BTW this is my first Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings Linda, let not your age hold you back you will be victorious and will enjoy every moment of the Camino. I am going to be 67 in March and I have done 4 Camino's and plan on another.
You will have many who will be a source of strength and guide on this journey...Buen Camino.
N+

Hello Linda, Tincaner, cjm and Carlo.
I arrive Arles from Glasgow on 26th March. My Camino must have been in the pipe-line, now, for 55 years. When the student is ready the teacher appears (ÂżLao Tze, or was it Confucius?). In this case the stimulus was "The Way" - the movie on 13th May, first showing in UK. I don't do 'heat' so It would be Autumn or Spring. 26th March is the first cheap flight by Ryanair after the Winter. Have had lots of time to think and pray and read and talk to a few people and do Internet searches. It also gave time to begin learning some Spanish. I am unusual for a retired "middle-class professional" personal. I have never been on holiday in Spain. Just last week managed to register on the Forum, with some difficulty. I am not colour-blind but I found the alphanumerics in the box hard to see.
Peace, love, joy and hope.
julian fms

hello all!
my name is leona and i too am looking at doing the camino in march. I am currently in Venice staying with friends and havent decided how i will get to st jean yet, but that is the least of my worries!
i have decided on a 33lt pack and have invested in a good pair of boots and socks. i have a little first aid kit and am making a list of the things i am missing.
im 30 in july this year and have certainly been living a very indulgent life, resulting in me being decidedly unfit!! I walk around cities a lot in my job as a tour manager in europe, so i am hoping i can just grit my teeth and get through the steep bits. Im anticipating some mental challenges too, but how are we feeling about the weather for march?
Very happy to see others are staring in march too!!!
thanks for all your posts
L

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Linda, Don't worry about failure, ther is no such thing on the camino. Do what you can, don't overdo yourself, walk and enjoy ( ok suffer a little bit).
On my first camino i had blister from day 3 to day 49 ( Arles-Santiago, 45 years old :). Beautiful experience. Can't beat the first time. When back 4 more times on different caminos. And will go back soon...yesss. Starting march's 4th in Leon ( El Savaldor and primitivo). Ther is snow on the camino del Savaldor right now. Ouff, snowshoes?, no worry, will walk the road for a day or two. You adjust your camino.
Bring layers for differents temperatures.
Buen camino.
jpierre

Re: Camino May 2012

Greetings fellow pilgrims well I am all set my travel plans are confirmed and I leave Toronto on the 27 th. of May. I have given myself 7-8 weeks for the Via de la Plata with time off which is essential and just in case of emergencies. Will stay in Madrid for 3 days and relax and see people I know then off by train to Sevilla where I will spend two days and then off on the Camino. So to everyone on the Camino the best to you. Be consciences of your fellow pilgrims and look out for one another..oh and sharing . :D
n+

Greetings need some info. to who ever can help me. Arriving in Madrid Monday late morning of May 28. There is a bus from the Baraja airport to Plaza de Cibeles..does anyone know how often and proximity of where it is in the airport?
Thanks,
n.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thanks peregrina 2ooo, appreciate the info..looking forward to another Camino.
chao,
n.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back