• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte June

Daniel Mishuris

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning walk the Norte in June :)
Hey!
We are 3 friends that going to start the Camino from irun in the 5th of June. Maybe we will mix the primitivo in the middle but not sure yet.
Few questions -
1. From where we get our pilgrim passport in irun?
2. I checked the information about the accommodations in the Camino and I'm kind of afraid that there is a lot of places that we should to book already now. It's true or we can book every morning? Prefer it that way so we can be more free.
3. Any apps that you recommend to download?

Thank you very much!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Daniel, seeing as you're message has gone unanswered so far, I'll reply
1. You can get your pilgrim passport from the Albergue Municapal in Irun. This Gronze page shows the location and opening hours
https://www.gronze.com/pais-vasco/guipuzcoa/irun/albergue-peregrinos-irun
Many people choose to pick up their passport before they leave from the pilgrim association in their country.
2. Nobody can say exactly how busy it will be until you are on the camino. If you want to book in advance, then you could do that for the first few days and assess how many pilgrims there are around you also looking for accommodation. You'll see the Gronze website has an extensive accommodation list for each stage with contact details.
3. I believe the Wise Pilgrim App is popular Cheers, tom

Hey!
We are 3 friends that going to start the Camino from irun in the 5th of June. Maybe we will mix the primitivo in the middle but not sure yet.
Few questions -
2. I checked the information about the accommodations in the Camino and I'm kind of afraid that there is a lot of places that we should to book already now. It's true or we can book every morning? Prefer it that way so we can be more free.

Thank you very much!!
Hi Daniel, I am also starting from Irun on June 5th after arriving in Bilbao on the 4th. I got my passport from this forum although the albergue should have them., I have only booked accommodation ahead in San Sebastian so I am hoping to get a bed in albergues along the route. I have on my phone or tablet the Brierley guide plus Gronze and Maps.me.
See you soon (unless you get the last bed of course)
Davis

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I think June is a great month to walk the Norte. There are tons of tourist accommodations, and in June there are not enough tourists to fill them. Keep an eye out for great deals for peregrinos that won’t be available in July or August. On more than a few occasions last year, four of us were able to get a lovely tourist apartment near the beach for about 60€ a night. Usually two bedrooms, one or two baths, good kitchen. We found these places advertised on trees/poles/traffic signs or in a flyer distributed by the owner as he searched for peregrinos.

Hi, Daniel. I am on the Norte now, and there are more folks here than I expected. In June you may have to book ahead. However, a couple of the albergues will be open then that are not open now.
A couple of other things: as far as I understand, the Brierly guide does not cover the Norte, just the Frances route. And I tried to use the Wise Pilgrim app on my Android with no luck. I have been using the Buen Camino app with much success, especially locating myself on the download maps. You can even see where you are in profile. They do have a list of accommodations as well.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
I collected a credencial at an albergue in Hondarrabia, Capitán Tximista, on the way up to Guadelupe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That may have been the spare I left there on the 18th? He didn't seem to have a lot of them.

Hi Daniel, seeing as you're message has gone unanswered so far, I'll reply
1. You can get your pilgrim passport from the Albergue Municapal in Irun. This Gronze page shows the location and opening hours
https://www.gronze.com/pais-vasco/guipuzcoa/irun/albergue-peregrinos-irun
Many people choose to pick up their passport before they leave from the pilgrim association in their country.
2. Nobody can say exactly how busy it will be until you are on the camino. If you want to book in advance, then you could do that for the first few days and assess how many pilgrims there are around you also looking for accommodation. You'll see the Gronze website has an extensive accommodation list for each stage with contact details.
3. I believe the Wise Pilgrim App is popular Cheers, tom
Best app I found was Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Daniel. I am on the Norte now, and there are more folks here than I expected. In June you may have to book ahead. However, a couple of the albergues will be open then that are not open now.
A couple of other things: as far as I understand, the Brierly guide does not cover the Norte, just the Frances route. And I tried to use the Wise Pilgrim app on my Android with no luck. I have been using the Buen Camino app with much success, especially locating myself on the download maps. You can even see where you are in profile. They do have a lost of accommodations as well.

Buen Camino.
Hello Classicfan, hope you are enjoying the Norte. I start on ~ Sept 3. Does the Buen Camino app show the coastal and GR options as well or just the official camino route? Like with your Wise Pilgrim andriod app mine too just keeps crashing.
Take care,
Frank

I’m on the Norte now and the Wise Pilgrim app works fine. I also like even better the Wise Pilgrim book that I bought from Ivar on this site and he sends you a credential
I agree! I have the book with me as well and that is how I got my credential.

Hello Classicfan, hope you are enjoying the Norte. I start on ~ Sept 3. Does the Buen Camino app show the coastal and GR options as well or just the official camino route? Like with your Wise Pilgrim andriod app mine too just keeps crashing.
Take care,
Frank
Hi, Frank. I am very much enjoying it!
The Buen Camino app shows some options but not all. The Wise Pilgrim guide shows more. I also think that by the time you go the Cicerone guide will have published their updates. You can download it as an ebook if you don't want to carry it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey!
Few questions -

Thank you very much!![/QUOTE

Hi, yesterday the albuergue told me they only were able to help with the pilgrim passport after 4 pm when they open ..... I went to the church and was able to get one although they only do so from 9 am till 12:30 depending if the priest is not on urgent business ... they do not charge .... happy trails

I’m on the Norte now and the Wise Pilgrim app works fine. I also like even better the Wise Pilgrim book that I bought from Ivar on this site and he sends you a credential
how llong did it take to arrive?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.