• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte

PhilB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte July ‘24
Kimono Kodo ‘23
Hi in July this year my wife and I are planning to walk the Camino del Norte. Due to our travel schedule around Europe, we are limited to do it in 40 days. Is this possible? If not what parts of the camino can we bypass? My thinking is the town of Gijon.
Second question relates to cash versus credit card? Is cash still king or will the credit cards be accepted in smaller towns? Your thoughts are most appreciated..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi in July this year my wife and I are planning to walk the Camino del Norte. Due to our travel schedule around Europe, we are limited to do it in 40 days. Is this possible? If not what parts of the camino can we bypass? My thinking is the town of Gijon.
Second question relates to cash versus credit card? Is cash still king or will the credit cards be accepted in smaller towns? Your thoughts are most appreciated..
It depends how fit you are and how fast you walk! But I think the average is 33 days.

Some places are still cash only, but the majority will take cards - but remember it's always good to have extra cash for a tip (and don't forget Donativos). Most people would advise taking an amount of cash in anycase, I tended to carry around 200 euros on the CF and topped up at cash points whenever I got below say 50 euros.

Good advice re the donativos. As to 33 days, that’s a stretch for us. We are very experienced walkers and my wife has done the Frances however age catches up to all of us.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good advice re the donativos. As to 33 days, that’s a stretch for us. We are very experienced walkers and my wife has done the Frances however age catches up to all of us.
Well maybe as opposed to skipping stages you could start further along? Bilbao would have good access, and you would miss what is often described by some as the hardest parts in the first week. The downside is that they are often described as some of the most beautiful stages also.

I think that 40 days gives you plenty of time. Gronze divides the Norte into 36 stages - some as short as 15 - 16 km, with the longest being 39.8 km, but you can split that up. I recommend using the Godesalco stage planner to come up with your own stages. I wouldn't plan to skip any stages until/unless you need to.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You’ll waste a day bypassing Gijon on public transport when you could have walked through an amazing city and taken advantage of its seafront restaurants?
I agree. Gijón was one of my favorite cities on the Norte.

If you are really worried about not having enough time I second the suggestion of @davejsy to start farther along the route. Even starting in San Sebastián will save you one or two days - and you will still experience spectacular coastal views.

I think that 40 days gives you plenty of time. Gronze divides the Norte into 36 stages - some as short as 15 - 16 km, with the longest being 39.8 km, but you can split that up. I recommend using the Godesalco stage planner to come up with your own stages. I wouldn't plan to skip any stages until/unless you need to.

I shall investigate the planner. Locked in to start in Irun and whilst a tough start I too have heard of its coastal beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even from Irun the Norte is comfortably doable in 40 days if you are reasonably fit and appropriately equipped. You’ll have scope to take a rest day or two. The only impediments are the unplannable experiences. Injury or illness can make a mockery of any plan. So, plan to deal with the unplanned. If you need to recover some days after an unplanned event plan for that. Search for and embed the apps for the local transport systems along the route. Put €150 in your untouchable pocket for that outrageous taxi fare and then relax. You’ll have “it” covered so just enjoy the walk

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Even from Irun the Norte is comfortably doable in 40 days if you are reasonably fit and appropriately equipped. You’ll have scope to take a rest day or two. The only impediments are the unplannable experiences. Injury or illness can make a mockery of any plan. So, plan to deal with the unplanned. If you need to recover some days after an unplanned event plan for that. Search for and embed the apps for the local transport systems along the route. Put €150 in your untouchable pocket for that outrageous taxi fare and then relax. You’ll have “it” covered so just enjoy the walk
Love the positiveness of your reply. Certainly shall enjoy it.

40 days should be ample. If you find you are seriously falling behind on your schedule, the coast is populated so there are good bus and train connections: you can catch up if you have to. Having cash would be a good idea. July will be hot though, and accommodation might be tight.

I walked the del Norte from Irun September/ early October last year and it took me 35 days including 3 rest days and a couple of shortish bus rides. I’m 70 and reasonably fit. Your 40 days therefore looks very doable assuming no surprises. The first few stages out of Irun to Bilbao are fairly tough as you have some strenuous rocky climbs and steep descents but I wouldn’t have missed them as the scenery is stunning and it’s an iconic part of the walk. I might consider skipping the walk through and out of Santander. I’d also recommend building in a diversion to Oviedo ( train or bus there and back from the del Norte) as it’s an interesting city, particularly the old centre. Before you go I’d also recommend reading up on the available alternate routes that take you off some of the del Norte tarmac sections, mostly parallel with the main route.
Regarding cash, I agree with the others. Worth having some with you for sure for the odd places that don’t take cards, for tips and for Donativos. I’d take €200 or €300 and top up if/ as necessary. Plenty of banks along the way. Enjoy that walk!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Love the positiveness of your reply. Certainly shall enjoy it.
If I did it again I’d break up the first stage to San Sebastien into two. Really tough stretch on the knees for day one - probably Gernika to Bilbao too b/c of length. Start off slower during the first week and build up strength as you go. 40 days should still be fine.

I walked the del Norte from Irun September/ early October last year and it took me 35 days including 3 rest days and a couple of shortish bus rides. I’m 70 and reasonably fit. Your 40 days therefore looks very doable assuming no surprises. The first few stages out of Irun to Bilbao are fairly tough as you have some strenuous rocky climbs and steep descents but I wouldn’t have missed them as the scenery is stunning and it’s an iconic part of the walk. I might consider skipping the walk through and out of Santander. I’d also recommend building in a diversion to Oviedo ( train or bus there and back from the del Norte) as it’s an interesting city, particularly the old centre. Before you go I’d also recommend reading up on the available alternate routes that take you off some of the del Norte tarmac sections, mostly parallel with the main route.
Regarding cash, I agree with the others. Worth having some with you for sure for the odd places that don’t take cards, for tips and for Donativos. I’d take €200 or €300 and top up if/ as necessary. Plenty of banks along the way. Enjoy that walk!
Very good insight. I shall look at the Oviedo option. I’ll be 69 on the walk and have learned to pace myself. Rocky steep parts out of Irun are fine. I have done many such walks in New Zealand and Australia.

I'm also planning to do del Norte this May as I'm hoping to miss the hot weather over there. I've allowed 6 weeks and I'm flying from Australia. Just enjoy the experience
Buen Camino to yourself and your wife.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm also planning to do del Norte this May as I'm hoping to miss the hot weather over there. I've allowed 6 weeks and I'm flying from Australia. Just enjoy the experience
Buen Camino to yourself and your wife.
Buen Camino to you as well.

Walked the Norte last Sept/Oct., and the first two days were sensational... Take the previous advice and divide Day 1 into 2 stages, stopping in the wonderful little town of Passajes de St. Jean... your knees will thank you... Take as many of the variant coastal routes as you can (Zarautz to Deba was by far the most spectacular day on the camino with the variants, and it wasnt even close!)There will be numerous opportunities in the last third of the camino to combine days if you find yourself falling behind due to injury or just plain falling in love with any of the incredible little seaside towns you'll come across... Castro Urdiales was my weakness... It can be done fairly easily in 40 days, but you will need to account for any potential heat waves, and perhaps adjust your walking times to keep on schedule... As a small business owner, I have always appreciated cash, so used it almost exclusively on my trip, aside from booking a few hostels online with a card... I carried a large amount with me and never felt threatened or worried for my safety, but understandably, feelings will differ on this subject...

Very good insight. I shall look at the Oviedo option. I’ll be 69 on the walk and have learned to pace myself. Rocky steep parts out of Irun are fine. I have done many such walks in New Zealand and Australia.
I don’t know if you’re a walking poles person? I wasn’t but was persuaded to take a pair of collapsible ones by my wife as I’d ruptured my right quadricep tendons a couple of years back slipping on a hill and landing awkwardly. Although I didn’t use them all the time, they were very handy for the steep, sometimes slippery, descents that you get on some parts of the walk, particularly the early stages.

I also agree with the comments about considering stopping the night in Pasajes. It’s a very nice little town with a lovely waterfront and that first day can be a bit challenging particularly if the weather’s not in your favour.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband and I walked Del Norte in October/Nov. 2023. We started in Irun and walked to Santiago de Compostella Sept 29 - Nov 10. We had 5 rest days. San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander, Gijon, Ribadeo. 42 days total. So it is doable in 40 days if you have only 3 rest days or if you walk continuously with shorter distances per day. I will say that the first few days of the hike are difficult and we appreciated our rest days. Plus I highly recommend a rest day in Bilbao so you can go to the Guggenheim Museum. We used a combination of cash and credit card. I recommend that you have both. Most small places accept credit cards. We enjoyed our extra time in Gijon. Buen Camino!!

You’ll waste a day bypassing Gijon on public transport when you could have walked through an amazing city and taken advantage of its seafront restaurants? Why?

40 days is ample for the Norte: depending on where you start 😉
I agree with not bypassing Gijon. I skipped it 2019 but when I finished my camino I rode the bus back there and spent two days there. I loved it! So glad I did that. I enjoyed the seafront, the shopping area, museums and ease of getting around on foot. Cool historical site there also.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.