• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues 2025 - is April a good time?

CaminoMonique

Time of past OR future Camino
Valença to Santiago - April or July 2025
Hi everyone,

I am new on the forum and I am planning for my first Camino in April 2025, doing the Portugues from Valença.

Is April a good time for that route? I would expect weather to be pleasant but was hoping I would not be alone in the route; I am doing the Camino with my brother and my best friend, but we are all hoping to meet other pilgrims as well.

For reference, I live in Miami, FL and I struggle with the heat. My brother is living in Lisbon right now and is glad the weather is getting cooler. And my best friend lives in the south of Brasil, where cold weather is not an issue.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Bom Caminho / Buen Camino to all there, on their way or planning for it! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,

I am new on the forum and I am planning for my first Camino in April 2025, doing the Portugues from Valença.

Is April a good time for that route? I would expect weather to be pleasant but was hoping I would not be alone in the route; I am doing the Camino with my brother and my best friend, but we are all hoping to meet other pilgrims as well.

For reference, I live in Miami, FL and I struggle with the heat. My brother is living in Lisbon right now and is glad the weather is getting cooler. And my best friend lives in the south of Brasil, where cold weather is not an issue.

We walked the Camino Portugues from Porto to Caminha then went east to Valenca and then on to Santiago de Compostella begining April 24, 2022. I can say that was a fantastic time to walk. Not too crowded, not too hot although more so inland than on the coast but still pretty good. It was a great trip. I highly recommend doing it and at that time of year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked the Camino Portugues from Porto to Caminha then went east to Valenca and then on to Santiago de Compostella begining April 24, 2022. I can say that was a fantastic time to walk. Not too crowded, not too hot although more so inland than on the coast but still pretty good. It was a great trip. I highly recommend doing it and at that time of year.
That’s great to hear, thank you!

Hi everyone,

I’m out here now and it’s been pouring for days. It’s a delightful walk out of Valença and into the Spanish countryside

Attachments

• IMG_9410.jpeg
    IMG_9410.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
A selection of Camino Jewellery
So, do you have any really great investments tips 2025. I am all ears. The pouring rain referred to in NYSE comment was a huge cyclone off the coast of Spain for the past few days. It is now hammering the north coast of Brittany.

I’m out here now and it’s been pouring for days. It’s a delightful walk out of Valença and into the Spanish countryside
Yeah, I keep seeing reports of lots of rain, storms! Stay safe out there and thanks for sharing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, do you have any really great investments tips 2025. I am all ears. The pouring rain referred to in NYSE comment was a huge cyclone off the coast of Spain for the past few days. It is now hammering the north coast of Brittany.
I wish! My Corporate Finance part is not the only that helps me (or anyone really) get rich, just the company I work for 😅

I would honestly be (somewhat) fine with rain, just the heat makes me literally faint - and I live in Miami, so it’s a real struggle for me!

I saw some videos from Setubal where people parked their car and 15 minutes later had been damaged by the storm. Obviously Setubal is way south, but I know the Portugal-Spain border and the way to Santiago from there gets some pretty bad storms, cyclones.

Praying everyone walking during these conditions stays safe! 🙏🏻

I went in April of this year and had about 3 rain day of which only one was downpour. There were two hot days which were after Valenca and I needed a short sleeve shirt which I hadn’t brought. Luckily someone gave me one. I did wear my beanie three times, did not wear my gloves. I had a wool buff I wore once but I would have been fine with just my regular buff. I brought a rain jacket and a fleece and was glad I did. I brought my sleeping bag and only used it 2 nights. Most albergues have sheets and a blanket. I only stayed at one municipal which did not have blankets or sheets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I went in April of this year and had about 3 rain day of which only one was downpour. There were two hot days which were after Valenca and I needed a short sleeve shirt which I hadn’t brought. Luckily someone gave me one. I did wear my beanie three times, did not wear my gloves. I had a wool buff I wore once but I would have been fine with just my regular buff. I brought a rain jacket and a fleece and was glad I did. I brought my sleeping bag and only used it 2 nights. Most albergues have sheets and a blanket. I only stayed at one municipal which did not have blankets or sheets.
Thanks for sharing! I was reading of a few people in similar weather conditions on the Camino that brought gloves and never wore them, I think I would be one of them as well 😅

Did you take a sleeping bag, or just a liner? I start April 24 2024, exactly two years after you <3

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This site should help you

Thank you kindly! This helps tremendously. Like that the weather forecast algorithms use 14 years of historical weather data!
Curious …
Do you know whether the caminoweather.com takes into account any climate change experienced over the past 14 years?
For experienced pilgrims, how accurate was the weather forecast?

Did you take a sleeping bag, or just a liner? I start April 24 2024, exactly two years after you <3
I'm starting a week before you and will bring what I've used on other caminos; a lightweight rectangular liner to use like sheets and a down quilt. This combo has covered all I've encountered in the past. If it gets too cold, I wear my base layer long underwear and socks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.