Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo end of December

SoloHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
December
Hello,
I‘m 34 years old and planning Todo my first solo Camino.
I haven’t walked for a while, I’m usually stuck behind my desk in the office.
But I started training 2 weeks ago walking.
Last weekend I was on a 4 day trip doing 15-20km a day.
I have started cycling 4-6 times a week (20km trips) the last 2 month.
The last 2 months I cycled 1200km to strengthen my weak knee.

I would like to walk the Camino Primitivo end of December.
Due to personal life reasons I have to empty my head soon and get away.
And this would be the perfect timing when I can get away.
It’s probably not the best time but I would prefer to hike a complete Camino with a view.

My plan is to fly to Oviedo Friday 22 December and start Saturday on my Camino.
And fly back latest Saturday 13 January depending on the flights.
That should give me 19 days in total, I’ll probably end up planning a few days to rest on the Camino.
And if not and if I do end up to early in Santiago and my feet and knee still allows me I’ll continue to the Fisterra.

I plan to stay in albergues to save money.
From the reading I assume I’ll probably end up having to rely on supermarkets for food.
Maybe I’ll pick up a lightweight gas cooking set.

Should I be worried about snow or closed albergues?

Would it be wise to take shoe spikes?
If so I’ll have to buy some locally to avoid airplane security.

Any other concerns I should take into account?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @SoloHiker, I haven't walked the Primitvo yet, but you should definitely be worried about closed albergues. I would plan/check ahead, as the albergues can be far apart on the Primitivo. And yes, snow is also possible (roughly above 600-800m) in December.

Maybe you would like to join our Christmas Camino thread? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...2023-pilgrims-gather-here.83483/#post-1187949

I am going to walk (part of) the Camino Portugués in December and found out that quite a few albergues (especially the private ones) are closed. I am afraid there will be even more closed albergues on the Primitivo.

Accommodation will possibly be a greater challenge than terrain or weather https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo is a good resource for opening and closing dates but always check directly with the provider for your specific dates. Christmas is family time in Spain. People travel back to spend time with mum & dad.

Tineo to Grandas involves a series of climbs to around 900m+ and could be difficult in adverse weather. Snow is possible but not probable at that time of year. There are few public transport escapes.

You have plenty of time for research. Happy planning

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Solo, I walked the Primativo in January a couple years ago and had no difficulty finding an open albergue. (That's true for all of the caminos i've walked in Winter).

Call/text the albergues the day before and let them know you'll be there the next day. But there's certainly no need to surround this - or any camino - with worry ; )

Passes were snow-free (but windy : ) The Primativo does have considerable stretches of road and you might consider traction shoe bands (any hiking store in Spain) if they should ice up. But the actual trails were no problem at all.

Taxis and hitchhiking are viable options for "escape" if you need this.

I just finished the Primitivo and I'd check and possibly make your bookings in advance instead of relying on "hope" as even in season there aren't a lot of albergue options in some places. As well on the terrain, it's rocky with steep climbs so boots and poles are a must. There might be some sections as well that you may have to skip due to weather and safety so if you manage those expectations you will be fine.

Hello,
I‘m 34 years old and planning Todo my first solo Camino.
I haven’t walked for a while, I’m usually stuck behind my desk in the office.
But I started training 2 weeks ago walking.
Last weekend I was on a 4 day trip doing 15-20km a day.
I have started cycling 4-6 times a week (20km trips) the last 2 month.
The last 2 months I cycled 1200km to strengthen my weak knee.

I would like to walk the Camino Primitivo end of December.
Due to personal life reasons I have to empty my head soon and get away.
And this would be the perfect timing when I can get away.
It’s probably not the best time but I would prefer to hike a complete Camino with a view.

My plan is to fly to Oviedo Friday 22 December and start Saturday on my Camino.
And fly back latest Saturday 13 January depending on the flights.
That should give me 19 days in total, I’ll probably end up planning a few days to rest on the Camino.
And if not and if I do end up to early in Santiago and my feet and knee still allows me I’ll continue to the Fisterra.

I plan to stay in albergues to save money.
From the reading I assume I’ll probably end up having to rely on supermarkets for food.
Maybe I’ll pick up a lightweight gas cooking set.

Should I be worried about snow or closed albergues?

Would it be wise to take shoe spikes?
If so I’ll have to buy some locally to avoid airplane security.

Any other concerns I should take into account?
I just walked from Embalse de Salime to Santiago, it's long stretches without any services even in the busier season. Lot of it feels remote, and first 2/3 or so are through mountains. Consider less daylight, remoteness, steepness, and snow, and be prepared for that. Definitely check on accommodation availability, and look for info/videos of other pilgrims walking it in winter. (Check out elevation maps, too. Definitely some very steep sections. And lots of switchbacks,)
Even the Frances can feel remote in winter with many places shut down for the season, you could still clear your head and worry less about finding shelter or food

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for the advice, I‘m mostly hiking with my trusty renegade boots.
And have added walking sticks to my hiking habits this moth.
I will add some traction shoe bands or spikes to my list.

I will check those websites and my guide book and make a list of camino avalibilty.

Ive been Busy Testing my self and equipment last week on my 7 day vacation.
I have been walking 20 km daily with 400-700 Hm with a 5kg backpack last week.
I only took 1 rest day to enjoy the city.

Today I tried walking 21km with a 10kg backpack, Ive walked 192 km so far this month.

For now I have worked out my backpack to 9,5kg excluding water and food.
Still thinking of further optimising it, I will share a list latter.

I just finished the Primitivo and I'd check and possibly make your bookings in advance instead of relying on "hope" as even in season there aren't a lot of albergue options in some places. As well on the terrain, it's rocky with steep climbs so boots and poles are a must. There might be some sections as well that you may have to skip due to weather and safety so if you manage those expectations you will be fine.

What do you mean by sections I may have to skip?
As in not allowed to walk? I’m hoping to walk the entire path.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back