• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camino Wildlife (excluding escaped circus animals)

I should point out there were three of them, I was very nearly surrounded
They weren't in Villafranca del Bierzo by any chance? Re-reading the diary of my first Camino a couple of days ago I was reminded of having to stop a young Siamese cat from attacking my trouser legs - she had already pounced on my poles and the hipbelt buckle of my rucksack. Those ones would be a few generations later though!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unlike most peregrinos I have pretty much no idea where I was on any given day. Luckily the Spanish built a big churchy thing at the end so I knew I was there

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There were 2 green lizards sunbathing near the path. While I was standing quiet admiring them another pilgrim came, English speaking, possibly American. Immediately shouted "Snakes! Kill them!" I saved 2 innocent lives that day, first of all those were not snakes, second and more important, all snakes in Spain are protected species!

I've quite often read posts with photos where someone has mistaken a non-venomous snake for a viper. Understandable. But to mistake a lizard for a snake is a whole new level of ignorance! Except for slow-worms of course which is an easy mistake to make.

Those very clearly had legs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And some are very beautiful. Nearly stepped on this little guy ,accidentally I should point out, its a close up pic, he was about four inches from nose to tail (BTW, zoom in on the pic to see the detail of him/her)

Attachments

• 20190619_091702.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
And some are very beautiful. Nearly stepped on this little guy ,accidentally I should point out, its a close up pic, he was about four inches from nose to tail

Pretty. But not a lizard. That's a salamander - amphibian rather than reptile. I saw a fantastic mural of one on a building on the Camino Frances last year.

Pretty. But not a lizard! That's a salamander - amphibian rather than reptile.
I bow to your knowledge. We were quite high up and there was no obvious water around but I have frogs in my garden and the only water there is my water butt and they do not live in there

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bow to your knowledge. We were quite high up and there was no obvious water around but I have frogs in my garden and the only water there is my water butt and they do not live in there
A couple of times when walking in Japan I saw small crabs in forest areas many miles from the sea and hundreds of feet above sea level. Very surprising!

For anyone who is skeptical about wildlife on the Camino F, this unfortunate and sad incident took place between Castrojeriz and Boadilla del Camino.

Most read last week in this forum