• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cats on the Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You may want to walk faster in between cafes, then ;-)

As for me, I am allergic to cats, and they seem to see it as a personal challenge. Many's the time I've had to actively shoo one away, or hold my hands in the air and ask the owner to remove it from my body so I don't get the dander on my hands/face.

I guess I will have to ask "Tiene gatos?" before I check into an albergue....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you're a cat lover, steel yourself for some very thin and sickly looking ones in some areas. Often begging for food. It's heartbreaking.
As a gentle reminder to anyone who doesn't know, feeding cats human food usually does more harm than good. Especially bread, as it fills their stomachs but contributes to malnourishment since they can't digest it or absorb any nutrients.
I usually kept a can of cat food or tuna (natural, no oil) on hand when I came across a hungry one that wasn't near any homes or farms.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Was walking a local park trail and there were many cats...many cats that i needed to pet.
If there are Cats on the Camino then it may take a while to complete...
One cannot simply pass by a cat and not pssp pssp and pet it.
Carry on!
I walked the Camino in 2016, my husband walked it this year. I carried almost 8 pounds of cat food (wet and dry) and would replenish my supply whenever necessary. At times I’d see locals feeding them and I’d donate my cat food to them; they were always extremely grateful and it gave me an opportunity to have a conversation with a local.

We love all animals regardless of species or national origin. Unfortunately, outdoor cats are devastating for nature. They are major predators of small mammals and reptiles. Only windows kill more birds.

It does not stop me from carrying dry cat food in small packages to distribute to los hermosos gatos. For me, harming nature while helping strays is a moral conundrum. The solution to this immense issue does not lie within pilgrim control, so those pleading eyes win.

Thanks for your kindness to animals.

Was walking a local park trail and there were many cats...many cats that i needed to pet.
Carry on!

Attachments

• IMG_6286.jpeg
    IMG_6286.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 58
  • WP_20131215_007.jpeg
    WP_20131215_007.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 63
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This Camino, like others, there were a couple of times when a cat came begging in the middle of nowhere. Who could possibly resist the desperate 'meow' of a hungry cat? I kept a couple of tins of mejillones in my backpack and used the card box the tins were in as the tray to empty the tin on. I did wonder about water, but thought they must know where that is. I also thought that maybe cats are not really so good at catching the many mice around.

Carry on!
As a cat lover myself, while I didn't pet them in case they had fleas, I was tempted to rescue at least one who followed me. Enjoy them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Regarding unknown cats..A few months ago I was visiting my sister and was attacked by a stray supposedly friendly cat that she had allowed into her house. I went to an emergency clicic to get antibiotics. Within two days I was in the hospital with a severe infection in my leg, awaiting surgery to drain the infection, and being treated for rabies because of the bite from an unknown ferrel cat. I dearly love cats and dogs but I caution you to be careful around animals that you do not know!

I always pet them if they're friendly and come to me, how could I not?

Even picked up a very sick kitten last year on the Francés, and while carrying him to the vet and then onwards to Santiago and Finisterre slowed me down a bit, it wasn't too bad and totally worth it :)

Greetings from the little four-legged catigrino! I guess he'd be happy to know that there are some pilgrims who take the time to stop and pet his friends and relatives that maybe still live along the Camino... maybe even a tasty treat for those that are starving...

Thanks from him to everyone who is friendly to the cats along the way:

IMG_20230825_200758.jpgIMG20230619161323.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Even picked up a very sick kitten last year on the Francés, and while carrying him to the vet and then onwards to Santiago and Finisterre slowed me down a bit, it wasn't too bad and totally worth it :)

Greetings from the little four-legged catigrino! I guess he'd be happy to know that there are some pilgrims who take the time to stop and pet his friends and relatives that maybe still live along the Camino... maybe even a tasty treat for those that are starving...

View attachment 155124View attachment 155125
Wow! Bless you both. <3

I have always been a lover of cats and had them growing up. I always delight when I see them on the camino trails, especially if they purr while rubbing up on your leg. What I find odd is that when I try to take a picture of them, the most of them usually run away.🐈

As for me, I am allergic to cats, and they seem to see it as a personal challenge. Many's the time I've had to actively shoo one away, or hold my hands in the air and ask the owner to remove it from my body so I don't get the dander on my hands/face.

Or, do the opposite of your reflexive reaction. People with allergies or apprehensions tend to get very quiet to try not to be noticed... but very quiet and still is exactly what cats adore in a human.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Or, do the opposite of your reflexive reaction. People with allergies or apprehensions tend to get very quiet to try not to be noticed... but very quiet and still is exactly what cats adore in a human.
Hmm . That's a good point.

I'll start trying to take pictures while exclaiming loudly, Go away, sinus sweller! That might do it. ;)

But based on what I read here, I'd better make sure I ask, "Tiene gatos aquí? Soy alergíco."

Hmm . That's a good point.

I'll start trying to take pictures while exclaiming loudly, Go away, sinus sweller! That might do it. ;)

But based on what I read here, I'd better make sure I ask, "Tiene gatos aquí? Soy alergíco."
Yes, that might also be necessary....
I am very allergic to cats I do not know well, and my allergist wishes I would not have my feline friends... but they are good for my blood pressure.
but, yes... you will keep a cat generally away if you are jut more fidgety... or loud (though with the general cultural gregariousness of Spain the cats may be fairly used to loud talkers. :)

I too carry a supply of cat food - so many hungry felines, but never go up to them to stroke them. In the UK we don't have Rabies and have been brought up to be very wary of any contact that may cause us to be infected.
Oh! Spain also has no rabies... very high vaccination rates! And they require paperwork for any animal moving into the country from elsewhere. I gather that the peninsula and mountain range are quite protective in terms of animal migration, and IIRC it was declared "rabies free" in 2013. (I could be off on the year, but I was just reading WHO reports on rabies recently, so I'm not too far off).

Thank you for being kind to the cats... They are really good at keeping plague away (rodent killers). I know it sounds absurd, but where there is poverty plus rodents outbreaks can happen. Such as have been reported in the US in the last few years...

Carry on!
Mean creatures. I mean they kill everything. I'll take a dog. So friendly. Waiting for me to get home, always joyous when I return...

Last edited:

Gosh, @good_old_shoes, this really is my favourite Cathedral photo EVER! I remember when you first posted it and was totally heart-struck with joy by it at the time and also with your story. How beautiful your little catigrino is and he looks so well! He’s one lucky cat.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

There are many cats and you want to pet all of them. BUT, many are feral and I wouldn't want to get scratched by their claws.
A cat person always knows to ask the cat if it wants a pat. Not by talking of course, they wouldn’t understand English anyway, but by the way you approach them. It will be obvious if a pat is welcome or not.

What a lovely story. I have wanted to do that in a number of countries. A little one in Fez was particularly difficult to leave, but Australia has very strict quarantine requirements and it is impossible to for us to adopt a stray overseas. You are very lucky and so is catigrino! What did you name him?

I adore cats and always carry a bag of cat nuts with me in poorer areas. My favourite cat was a friendly fellow in O Cebriero who sat on my lap for hours when I was having a rest day to help my tendinitis.
On my recent Camino in France I also brought cat nuts but after carrying them for half the trip I hadn’t seen any stray cats to feed. They were all obviously owned and well fed and thought they enjoyed the free feed, when it ran out I didn’t replace it.
It breaks my heart to see sad, sick cats and kittens. If I lived there I would become a mad cat lady with lots of rescues and would set up a desexing charity to stop the problem at its source.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I adore cats and always carry a bag of cat nuts with me in poorer areas. My favourite cat was a friendly fellow in O Cebriero who sat on my lap for hours when I was having a rest day to help my tendinitis.
On my recent Camino in France I also brought cat nuts but after carrying them for half the trip I hadn’t seen any stray cats to feed. They were all obviously owned and well fed and thought they enjoyed the free feed, when it ran out I didn’t replace it.
It breaks my heart to see sad, sick cats and kittens. If I lived there I would become a mad cat lady with lots of rescues and would set up a desexing charity to stop the problem at its source.

Attachments

• IMG_5752.jpeg
    IMG_5752.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61

He looks so happy, healthy and laid-back now 😊

I remember loving the way you took care of him on your camino - nothing was too much trouble for him 🥰

Mean creatures. I mean they kill everything. I'll take a dog. So friendly. Waiting for me to get home, always joyous when I return...
A therapist might be able to help you with your problem. Cats are very good judges of character! 🤣

We love all animals regardless of species or national origin. Unfortunately, outdoor cats are devastating for nature. They are major predators of small mammals and reptiles. Only windows kill more birds.

It does not stop me from carrying dry cat food in small packages to distribute to los hermosos gatos. For me, harming nature while helping strays is a moral conundrum. The solution to this immense issue does not lie within pilgrim control, so those pleading eyes win.

Thanks for your kindness to animals.
a big problem especially in the UK where birds are attracted to gardens while simultaneously owners are told its “inhumane” to keep a cat indoors. Whereas the US it’s considered cruel to have outdoor cats due to the risks from cars and wild animals.

That being said I believe cats mostly prey on rats/mice in Spain due to the terrain and apparently it’s not a great environment for wild birds in most places.

Sadly, the Spanish culture is not known to be kind to cats, unlike some countries that take great care to control overpopulation.

Like so many issues nowadays “it’s complicated” innit?

Sadly, the Spanish culture is not known to be kind to cats, unlike some countries that take great care to control overpopulation.
You mean the "rural Spanish culture" I think. The urban Spanish culture about cats is the same as everywhere. By the way, next week I' m going to feed a fat cat in a friend's appartment in Madrid because she is in holydays for 5 days. About " rural Spanish culture on cats", frankly I only know very well the Galician one ( owners usually never touch them) but I have no idea about what rural Catalans or Aragones people do with their cats

I love cats. I had the experience that they would follow me even if I was not feeding them. One time I saw a pilgrim carrying a small cat. I asked if was hers and she said no. It had followed her. That is irresponsible. Whoever owned it could be grieving. Fortunately a pilgrim behind me was willing to take her back.

You mean the "rural Spanish culture" I think. The urban Spanish culture about cats is the same as everywhere. By the way, next week I' m going to feed a fat cat in a friend's appartment in Madrid because she is in holydays for 5 days. About " rural Spanish culture on cats", frankly I only know very well the Galician one ( owners usually never touch them) but I have no idea about what rural Catalans or Aragones people do with their cats
I guess there is a spectrum between Madrid and "rural" with a matching slide in the mindset, true.
Castilla y Leon kitties seem to have it the worst. Many expats in more popular areas seem to take on responsibility for colonies through feeding/sterilizing at their own expense. I know someone personally who does this for a big park in Madrid (as well as where I live in Lisbon). In Malaga the strays fed by the British pensioners are fatter than my housecat (although that's perfectly ok IMHO).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I guess there is a spectrum between Madrid and "rural" with a matching slide in the mindset, true.
Castilla y Leon kitties seem to have it the worst. Many expats in more popular areas seem to take on responsibility for colonies through feeding/sterilizing at their own expense. I know someone personally who does this for a big park in Madrid (as well as where I live in Lisbon). In Malaga the strays fed by the British pensioners are fatter than my housecat (although that's perfectly ok IMHO).
Yes, maybe I really don' t know the situation with cats in Castilla y Leon ( that is big).
In the Galician "aldeas" that I know all cats have owners but live outside the main house. It is curious that old farmers who are now retired and don' t have cows keep their cats outside. Maybe they could let in one of them to play with their grandchildren ( in visit) but at night the cat must return outside.

Saw this lad and stroked him and walked on. He meowed and I looked back to catch him landing on this stone. I didn't write it btw, too old for graffiti!

Attachments

• 20190620_083912.jpg
    20190620_083912.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190620_083930.jpg
    20190620_083930.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Carry on!
1000036867.jpg
On the Camino de San Salvador.

I shouldn’t be surprised, yet I often am at how different people’s experiences are. I personally like cats and dogs, but in five hundred or more kilometers of Camino francés and Via de la Plata, I saw not even a single cat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Ohh no!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I as it turns out, am a one dog man. Lost my little canine when i was a kid. That love of canine was enough, im closer to 60 than 50 and never had room in my heart for another.
Pets dont live long enough.

Carry

Carry on!
I recently read a meme that said 'if cats could text you back, they wouldn't," and such is the allure of these independent locals who more likely gaze at you with indifference or at best with curiosity. The Camino blesses us with a unique walk through the private lives of at least the domesticated animal kingdom! Every twist, turn and km holds the element of surprise of just who you will meet. Always, a welcome joy. Pictured, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and the cat with the violet eyes.20230618_145546~2.jpgimage.jpg

Pets dont live long enough.
I was told long ago by a wise veterinarian that you will out live every pet except your last one, who will outlive you.

As I now sit in a oncology veterinarian's office waiting for a diagnosis on our 14th pet, I understand your concern. Many lost souls wait for saviors in rescues and pounds. Perhaps you will again find love in your heart and room in your home.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was told long ago by a wise veterinarian that you will out live every pet except your last one, who will outlive you.

As I now sit in a oncology veterinarian's office waiting for a diagnosis on our 14th pet, I understand your concern. Many lost souls wait for saviors in rescues and pounds. Perhaps you will again find love in your heart and room in your home.
Sorry to hear about your pet.

That one dog was enough for a lifetime.

That could actually be a distant relative of my cat! I found him on the outskirts of the village before O Cebreiro (La Laguna de Castilla), so very close to O Cebreiro, and at a farm in the village I had seen an orange and white cat just like the one in your picture, maybe an older sibling... 🙂 My little one likes to sit on the lap all day, too! Now I like to imagine that was maybe his cousin or older brother, who knows!

Thanks for carrying cat food for those cats who are starving. My experience was the same in France, by the way, cats usually looked very healthy there, even the farm/barn cats. Definitely met more cats in need of help in Spain. But with the new laws regarding animal welfare hopefully things will change to the better soon (it has already gotten much better in my experience, compared to 30 years ago).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Sadly, many are diseased and it’s best to avoid physical contact.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Based on the feedback I received from my previous posting I've been working away at producing an updated version, with the results available at https://de-calixtinus.org You can view the release...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back