• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I avoid top bunk?

Eagle54

I'm a 58 year old man and I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks walking the Camino Frances with my wife in late April and early May. I've read that most of the albergues have bunk beds, and that bottom bunks are generally more popular. Here is my problem: I'm scared to death of sleeping in a top bunk. I used to roll around a lot in my sleep. When I was young (and a very deep sleeper) I often woke up on the floor next to my bed, having fallen out of bed during the night. This happened many, many times. I haven't done this for years, but I have a lifelong fear of top bunks. I will not sleep in a top bunk.

On the Camino, I know I might be assigned to a top bunk, or all the bottom bunks might be taken. I don't have a physical disability that would obviously give me preference for a bottom bunk, and I don't know if my limited Spanish would be adequate to explain my situation. Since bottom bunks are evidently popular, I also worry about coming across as thinking that I'm somehow special, entitled to special privileges.

I'm hoping that in April and early May the albergues will be less crowded, and I'd try to arrive early. But I'm a slow walker, and I can't be sure I'd always find a bottom bunk available. I have enough money to stay in hostals and hotels some of the time, but they are not available in every town, and I'd like to meet fellow pilgrims in the albergues. Is is practical for me to plan to stay in albergues? Any advice?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Actually, there is alternative accommodation available in almost every village that there is an albergue. The Brierley guide lists most of them in the smaller towns.
i would suggest that you could ask in the albergue when you first arrive if a lower is available..then go to a hotel if it is not.
You should be able to have someone write out a short concise and respectful translation of your request before you go. You can then hand that to the hospitalero when you arrive.
I don't think your problem should be a deal breaker...it may make it more interesting. :wink:

Eagle54 said:
I'm a 58 year old man and I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks walking the Camino Frances with my wife in late April and early May. I've read that most of the albergues have bunk beds, and that bottom bunks are generally more popular. Here is my problem: I'm scared to death of sleeping in a top bunk. I used to roll around a lot in my sleep. When I was young (and a very deep sleeper) I often woke up on the floor next to my bed, having fallen out of bed during the night. This happened many, many times. I haven't done this for years, but I have a lifelong fear of top bunks. I will not sleep in a top bunk.

On the Camino, I know I might be assigned to a top bunk, or all the bottom bunks might be taken. I don't have a physical disability that would obviously give me preference for a bottom bunk, and I don't know if my limited Spanish would be adequate to explain my situation. Since bottom bunks are evidently popular, I also worry about coming across as thinking that I'm somehow special, entitled to special privileges.

I'm hoping that in April and early May the albergues will be less crowded, and I'd try to arrive early. But I'm a slow walker, and I can't be sure I'd always find a bottom bunk available. I have enough money to stay in hostals and hotels some of the time, but they are not available in every town, and I'd like to meet fellow pilgrims in the albergues. Is is practical for me to plan to stay in albergues? Any advice?

:idea: Yes, why don't we have a competition, to see who can write the best poem that keep you off the top bunk, & then you could take the best one or three with you......... Oh I have a fear of flying from the top bunk, once asleep this what I do, please give me the bottom bunk only, thanks Eagle.

Oh, tengo miedo de volar desde la litera de arriba, una vez dormido esta lo que yo hago, por favor dame la litera de abajo sólo, gracias Eagle.

Hope you like my idea, however a name like Eagle might not help :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Him Eagle,
I can really appreciate your problem. I am 68 and small of stature, I cannot physically climb up to a top bunk unless there is a ladder, so I am always anxious about getting a bottom bunk. I am very happy to sleep on the floor but that is not always an option.

In most well run albergues the hospiladero/a will request young people to take lower bunks. I remember once as I dragged myself up the stairs hanging on to the banisters I overheard the hospiladera saying to three young pilgrims."Now you all take top bunks and leave the bottom ones to the likes of them."

I think you have been given good advice about having a request written out in spanish.
This might be your big challenge on the camino 'to trust in god' to provide your needs 'The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.'

Buen Camino

I'm not THAT old - but the top bunk is my pet hate , and fear - SOME PLACES HAVE 3 TEIR BUNKS!!................. on many an occasion , some Spanish youngster offered me the option of a swop before I'd even started to unpack. :D

I grew to enjoy the top bunk, there seemed to be more air up there. Some were hard to climb but once your up ... most had rails, some didn't. And it's eye level.
Also every time I sat on the lower bunk I would whack my head.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Eagle,
I do appreciate your concern, and that it is something which should not be taken lightheartedly.

Your concern and problem is probably the same as that of a person who has a physical handicap.

When walking this year, I alternated between albergues or hostales/small hotels.

I have checked my notes with regard to the albergues I slept in – must admit that maybe I was usually given the prerogative for a lower berth (age being an advantage: 66 year old woman).

Well knowing, that floor space for sleeping is not allowed in most albergues, I would venture to say that once the albergue is closing down around 10 pm for people to keep quiet and sleep, there would almost always be an opportunity to leave your upper berth and find your own floor space to sleep somewhere in the albergue.

This might of course mean that you should take a very light-weight sleeping pad (in this 'space-age' they may be very light-weight indeed). – I do in fact plan to do this myself next year rather than make use of my 'handicap-hospital-letter'.

Kind regards,
Annelise

(Walked 435 km on the camino this year, then broke my shoulder after coming back and now have a replacement one – therefore my mention of my 'handicap-hospital-letter')

I used to hate the top bunk, but now, especially if it has a railing, I ask for them. Anniesantiago once gave us a tip that there are fewer bedbugs up there! And then a kindly German pilgrim showed me that sliding down with your belly towards the bed (if that makes sense) is much easier than trying to navigate steps either forwards or backwards.

Be not worried, you will be able to avoid the top bed. My wife and I have walked the camino Francès during July 2010. At this time of the year, a lot of pilgrims are using the albergues, but we have slept in the same bed, me on the bottom bunk and my wife on the top one.
Before june, pilgrims are not a lot to use albergues

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hi,

do not worry. i have walked in May, and not all the time were the albergues full. but when full, i always asked the older people than i (i was 29) if they want to change their assigned bed, if it was a top bunk.... some of them would not :) others did...

so do not worry, albergues are populated by pilgrims, who have a sense of "can i help you?"...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In 2009, we often ended up in the same albergue as a couple in their 60's. She slept on the top bunk and he on the bottom one (I think he had a back problem, because he also sent his pack ahead by transport to the next stopping place). When we were hospitaleros in 2010, we always kept a couple of lower beds reserved until late in the afternoon for elderly people, etc. and we also asked the younger people upon arrival to take the top bunk if possible (actually also the men). I have only slept in one albergue that didn't have a protection rail on the top bunk (in Gonzar). I have hardly ever been assigned a specific bed. Yes - it is often the case of first come, first served - so I would indeed compose a letter in Spanish, explaining your problem. I really wouldn't worry too much. Anne

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you get to the albergue before the crowds. To do this, try walking "between stages" in Brierley's book instead of following the masses.

Also, I have only been "assigned" a bed once or twice. Generally, you can choose your own. I am one of those who asks for a special place because I have multiple chemical sensitivities and people's perfume, deodorant, soap, and scented lotions can make me sick for days with flu-like symptoms, so I need to sleep near an open window. I've never been told no, although I have had some interesting discussions with people from different countries who swear that the cold night air is harmful, even in summer!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anniesantiago said:
I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you get to the albergue before the crowds. To do this, try walking "between stages" in Brierley's book instead of following the masses.

Also, I have only been "assigned" a bed once or twice. Generally, you can choose your own. I am one of those who asks for a special place because I have multiple chemical sensitivities and people's perfume, deodorant, soap, and scented lotions can make me sick for days with flu-like symptoms, so I need to sleep near an open window. I've never been told no, although I have had some interesting discussions with people from different countries who swear that the cold night air is harmful, even in summer!

me too, but more like a migrane, & I want to empty my stomach ........
funny really cause I refuse to shake blokes' hands if I think they are wearing aftershave :twisted:
Could be worse, I suppose, my BO I cannot smell :lol:

grayland said:
Actually, there is alternative accommodation available in almost every village that there is an albergue. :

I'll second this. You said you are 58 and have enough money to stay in private accomodation. That would describe us, and we have never had to go to an albergue when we didn't want to. You'll find all sorts of places available at reasonable prices.

People describe the albergues as anything from the best of the camino to the worst of it (indeed, both can be true). Figure out what your preference is, and have a good trip.

[quote="newfydog
snip...
People describe the albergues as anything from the best of the camino to the worst of it (indeed, both can be true). Figure out what your preference is, and have a good trip.[/quote]

Many of us use both albergues and private accommodation on a regular basis. Some people find the albergue experience and mingling (closely :shock: ) with other pilgrims the best of their Camino.
Others are not so kind in their descriptions. :wink: Just do as pleases you and enjoy the experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here you have a good statement. Short and simple.

Señor Hospitalero:
Tengo temor a dormir en la cama de arriba. Cuando joven me retorcia en la cama durante mi sueño y muchas veces me despertaba en el piso después de haber caido durante la noche. Esto me ocurrió muchas veces y desde entonces nunca he dormido en la parte de arriba de una litera. No puedo dormir alli por miedo a caerme. Gracias

I walked camino in august/september and generally had no problem procuring a lower bunk. not that I am that old (34) but I do go to the bathroom every night and since the bunks in albergues are well used and mosty creaky, I prefer not to wake everyone around when I have to go. and there is less chance of falling or sliding off when in my half-sleep state. (also, a dress doesn't help climbing up, being there a ledder or not.)

I always politely asked (in spanish) if I can get a lower bunk and have never been denied. I did get an odd stare or two, though. I slept on top only twice and even then because I got the last bed in the albergue.

I am sure that if you ask politely, there should be no problem.

Anniesantiago said:
I've never been told no, although I have had some interesting discussions with people from different countries who swear that the cold night air is harmful, even in summer!
I can understand their feelings about the air if not the cold. For me keeping windows closed is the easiest way to limit exposure to pollen at night - I'd love to be able to sleep with open windows as I did before developing hay fever but experience has taught me otherwise. When it is at its worst I alternate between uncontrollable shivers and burning heat, get eye irritation so bad that it's agony to keep them open in the morning, and the nasal congestion can lead to very loud snoring. :(

I'll be taking a big supply of anti-histamines on my walk, doubling up the dosage as necessary and living with the windows as I find them in communal areas.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a young(ish) person I often found that hospitaleros would politely ask me to take a top bunk (something along the lines of you can have any bunk you like but...). A few places assign beds (presumably in order to keep track of numbers) but swapping with a fellow pilgrim is never a problem. Most hospitaleros I came across spoke reasonable (or at least some) English but a note in Spanish would obviously assist.

I have to say that rolling out of bed in a top bunk did cross my mind since more than a few didn't have guards on them but funnily enough it never happened to me or anyone else as far as I know...

Please ASK the hospitalero first....a note would be helpful in Spanish explaining your situation. I had many pilgrims who waited until we got up three flights of stairs to ask if they could change beds....and some who changed without asking. Meanwhile, my co-hospitalera was assigning beds to other pilgrims, unknowingly to beds we had to change on the fly upstairs. We had a method to our madness when we were assigning beds, finally assigning all the bottom bunks first then the top bunks last. We always saved a few bottom bunks for latecomers and when someone offered to take the top, we always gave it to them!

I had one person tell me they were afraid of heights, another who was claustrophobic and both waited to tell me this after I had already assigned their beds. It was annoying. Speak up, make your concerns known at the beginning and I am sure the hospitalero will be as accommodating as possible.

I would also consider sleeping at hostals or pensions instead of albergues. Hiking in between the stages is always a good idea.

There are a lot of comments here about "assigned beds" but I don't remember ever being assigned a bed, sometimes a room, but not a bed. I remember being shown a room and choosing an available bed. Many times, pilgrims asked others to switch beds and it never seemed to be a problem. I think you should be fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
There really shouldn't be a problem for all the reasons stated above. In addition have the advantage (many advantages!) of walking with with your wife so if the worst comes to the worst she can swap bunks with you.
Nell

I only had one assigned bed and that was at Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino. Topbed unfortunately because I would always chose a lower bed ( due to average toilet visit of two times a night and I preferred not to wake my downstairs neighbour ).

SabineP said:
I only had one assigned bed and that was at Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino. Topbed unfortunately because I would always chose a lower bed ( due to average toilet visit of two times a night and I preferred not to wake my downstairs neighbour ).

surely you are not of an age requiring two visits, :) ,
is it not bliss when one sleeps thru' :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SabineP said:
I only had one assigned bed and that was at Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino. ).
That's strange Sabine. When I was hospitalera at Guacelmo, we did as younger people and males to take a top bunk if possible, but it was always left up to the Pilgrim to accept or not. We never actually assigned a bunk - only made suggestions. This was in Sept 2010. I was also there last Sept 2011 for 3 days helping out and again, there was never any assigning of bunks. Anne

I think it's so much nicer when hospitaleras make suggestions rather than assign beds. :)
I loved Guacelmo, by the way, and the afternoon tea - What a sweet spirited place that was!
The priests were "on holiday" when we were there, so a very nice Czech priest said mass out in the back yard on Sunday. It was awesome!

Anniesantiago said:
I think it's so much nicer when hospitaleras make suggestions rather than assign beds. :)

Then don't serve as a hospitalera in Santo Domingo de la Calzada....I would have loved to let the pilgrims fight it out, but had to follow the "rules" of the Cofradia instead. :)

And when I walked, I was assigned beds in many places I stayed...probably because I stayed in quite a few municipal albergues....but it was varied....either way, I would say I was assigned beds more often than not over the 5 weeks it took me to get to SdC....and most of those beds were top bunks. I guess NOT looking my age was a disadvantage in this case. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Anniesantiago said:
I loved Guacelmo, by the way, and the afternoon tea - What a sweet spirited place that was!
The priests were "on holiday" when we were there, so a very nice Czech priest said mass out in the back yard on Sunday. It was awesome!

Yes it's giving ownership to the 'top-bunker';
now if they offered seconds of food would that make a difference :?:

annakappa said:
SabineP said:
I only had one assigned bed and that was at Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino. ).
That's strange Sabine. When I was hospitalera at Guacelmo, we did as younger people and males to take a top bunk if possible, but it was always left up to the Pilgrim to accept or not. We never actually assigned a bunk - only made suggestions. This was in Sept 2010. I was also there last Sept 2011 for 3 days helping out and again, there was never any assigning of bunks. Anne

Anne, must say that the spanish hospitalero seemed very stressed that day. Yes he assigned people that day. I explained Pat , the english hospitalera , about my " toilet issue " ,she said she would advice the colleague but he assigned me a top bed anyway. Some of the regular ' fellow Caminos I met underway ' also had by chance a topbed otherwise we would certainly have swapped. I took a painkiller ( always makes me drowsy ) and this flattend me out enough so I only had to go to toilet once... 8)

I am sixty years old. I did my Camino last May and "Walked in a Relaxed Manner". It took me 42 days from SJPP to Santiago. I stayed in alberques for 40 of those nights and only had a top bunk once. The key for my was to finish early in the day say between 1pm and 2pm and I almost always had a choice of bunks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back