• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Can you buy a shell in Santiago itself?

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
I've got a pretty small scallop shell on a little bit of cord that only weighs 9g for the walk to Santiago de Compostela. I was thinking I'd like to pick up one of the big classic Camino shells with the Cross of St. James painted on it, as a souvenir to take home. Can anyone who has been in SdC comment on whether I can get a shell there? Or, if not there, what about in Finisterre or Muxia?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• utility-shell-large.png
    606.6 KB · Views: 3,828
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks! Thread over, answer found.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It looks like there is a new forum feature: It is possible to mark a thread when a question is answered and also to upvote and downvote posts in such threads. Which I just did of course, just to try it out . Can only moderators mark a thread as solved or the original poster?

I am trying this out for now. Only in the Equipment section for now... the original poster can mark the correct answer or a moderator. Many threads on the forum will not have one correct answer, but for the question that does have one answer... here it is.

Last edited:
It's pretty difficult to find anything that ISN'T shell-shaped in Santiago!
But yes, large scallop shells are available pretty much everywhere along the Camino. You'll even see them for sale/ for donations in the middle of forests.
Have a great Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I know this has been answered as far as SDC is concerned, but just to confirm that there are plenty of places to buy the shells you describe in Fisterra - I bought mine at a small souvenir stand near the lighthouse at the very end of the cape (for ca. 3 euro, I think.) It felt very well deserved after making it as far as I could go!

Most read last week in this forum