• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy a cheap duffle bag in Santiago?

uncletim

Time of past OR future Camino
May '19, Oct 19
We have 15kg checked on Vueling, 2 packs about 10kg, one 24L and one 30L.

We want to combine if possible. Thinking a cheap duffle bag. Anyone know a place to get one?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

We want to combine if possible. Thinking a cheap duffle bag. Anyone know a place to get one?

There's several good stores in santiago that sell suitcases and duffelbags and one fairly close to the "pilgrim area". I looked on google once I needed a suitcase.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As @SabsP suggests, you can often find suitcases and bags in the Asian shops. We got a really big zippered one, similar to the zippered Ikea duffel for 2 euros. I taped it up to be a bit smaller to hold our hiking poles on the last trip, but it was large enough for both our backpacks it we hadn't wanted to carry them on the flight..

I found a raffia bag for 1 Euro and some tape in the basement of the hardware store "El Horreo", marked with a black X on the map I'm attaching. I used it as a pack cover for my flight home (I have a 35 liter pack). They may have larger bags (I am not sure but maybe worth a try) that could fit both your backpacks.
Good luck!

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 16.12.51.png IMG_9067.jpeg

PD: The rest of the tape roll was then confiscated at the airport when I carried it in my hand luggage. I had no idea tape wasn't allowed on board. 😅

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

We bought ours from a shop called Establecimientos Alvarez?? near Praza de Feixoo.

In the States whenever we flew out west we put out backpacks in duffel bags but in 2015 when we traveled with big backpacks we put them in laundry bags bought at a dollar store. They didn't offer as much protection as the duffels but they did keep straps from getting tangled and helped ensure nothing got lost from the pack pockets.

On that trip we noticed the plastic wrap machines in airports supplying the same proctection.

I found a raffia bag for 1 Euro and some tape in the basement of the hardware store "El Horreo", marked with a black X on the map I'm attaching. I used it as a pack cover for my flight home (I have a 35 liter pack). They may have larger bags (I am not sure but maybe worth a try) that could fit both your backpacks.
Good luck!

View attachment 158408 View attachment 158409

PD: The rest of the tape roll was then confiscated at the airport when I carried it in my hand luggage. I had no idea tape wasn't allowed on board. 😅
We grabbed a couple of these bags from the hardware store, see how it goes tomorrow. Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.