• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caution. in Jaca Cathedral

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Thisva warning to anyone visiting the Cathedral at Jaca. There is a dangerous situation in the cathedral - the lights only come on if you put 1 euro into the slot. Otherwise it is in darkness. Someone in our group had a serious accident in the cathedral on Monday afternoon. It was pouring with rain so in order to escape it, she entered the cathedral through the side door. With no lights on, she did not see the 3 steps and slipped and fell. Had the lights been on this would not have happened or at least access should not be allowed the side door of the Cathdral. The ambulance was called and she was taken to Jaca Hospital where they found that she had a broken femur in two places. It took almost 5 days of negotiations for her South African Europe Assist, the Spanish Europe Assist travel insurance company and the hospital to find a hospital to which she could be transferred that could do the operation. Eventually she was taken to Barcelona by ambulance last night and the operated on her today at 1230.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ay, Jenny, that's really bad luck. Hopefully the lady will be able to eventually travel home without too much pain. We wish her speedy recovery. What a pity to have this accident at the beginning of your Camino. Ultreya to you and fellow pilgrims.

Thisva warning to anyone visiting the Cathedral at Jaca. There is a dangerous situation in the cathedral - the lights only come on if you put 1 euro into the slot. Otherwise it is in darkness. Someone in our group had a serious accident in the cathedral on Monday afternoon. It was pouring with rain so in order to escape it, she entered the cathedral through the side door. With no lights on, she did not see the 3 steps and slipped and fell. Had the lights been on this would not have happened or at least access should not be allowed the side door of the Cathdral. The ambulance was called and she was taken to Jaca Hospital where they found that she had a broken femur in two places. It took almost 5 days of negotiations for her South African Europe Assist, the Spanish Europe Assist travel insurance company and the hospital to find a hospital to which she could be transferred that could do the operation. Eventually she was taken to Barcelona by ambulance last night and the operated on her today at 1230.

Lots of churches on Camino now have meters for light and that’s after you find a church open. I remember Puente le Reina in 2012 crazy and dangerous. I did not leave donation

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jenny, how dreadful, such an unnecessary accident. I hope all went well for the operation today.

I do NOT mean to minimize this. It is a very serious and painful injury, with potential serious consequences.

But it does speak to the advantage of carrying a small LED torch / flashlight in your rucksack waist pocket, or otherwise close to hand. I do... Weighs 50 grams... 1.7 ounces...

I hope she mends well, and quickly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
She is now out of ICU and I hope that they will be able to repatriate her home soon. Europe Assist is finally communicating on a regular basis now. She says the hospital in Barcelona is 5 star. It's a lesson to us all not to economiser on travel insurance. You think that it will never happen to you but it does.

There is great danger in waiting that long to get a bone set. This happened to a friend of mine two years ago while skiing. He wanted to have it fixed locally, so he flew home, had a major stroke and died a few days later. Apparently marrow can escape from a broken bone and enter the bloodstream. Please encourage your friend to be very cautious about any strange symptoms. Wishing her well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I trust your friend will recover and return and you journey too will continue. My wife spent too much time in hospitals and clinics on Spanish and Portuguese Caminos. I am very grateful for that care. We always paid the small bill. Is there a fund pilgrims can support for these services?..... Ultreya

What a terrible accident. I am so sorry. One must always be vigilant. I try to be extra alert and cautious walking in cities and towns, and in and out of buildings -- the camino trails may be rough -- especially the Aragones! -- and it is easy to minimize the dangers when walking in places we do not expect to be difficult -- and that is often where accidents happen. There are some lights on in Jaca Cathedral, but it is dim (as in most of the churches), even when you put coins in the meter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do NOT mean to minimize this. It is a very serious and painful injury, with potential serious consequences.

But it does speak to the advantage of carrying a small LED torch / flashlight in your rucksack waist pocket, or otherwise close to hand. I do... Weighs 50 grams... 1.7 ounces...

I hope she mends well, and quickly.
Or even the flashlight function on your phone.

Cautionary comment from the injured pilgrim:
Always travel with stretchable pants - as it was hot in the hospital today I tried to wear 'baggy' shorts which I had worn when walking - too tight - had to wear my 'evening' track suits pants which were baggier - did damage to wound
Know how to use social media to get medical insurance company into faster action when required
Have friends at home willing to phone / harass medical insurance into faster action
Be grateful / charming to medical and nursing staff - it does make things so much easier
Do not let down your guard - last year I walked the very difficult San Salvador but one of our group fell and broke his shoulder in a city, the same as me, falling in the city.

Have friends at home willing to phone / harass medical insurance into faster action

Hi Pam, hang in there with the insurance. We had a similar problem last year. One of the group was injured, and she had to get her sister in South Africa to “motivate” the insurance to “do something”. The insurance finally kicked in (after a week), and the injured lady was transferred from Sarria to Lugo hospital. When the rest of us arrived in Santiago they then transferred her to our hotel there so she could fly back home with us. The good news is that they upgraded her to Business Class!
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Pam, hang in there with the insurance. We had a similar problem last year. One of the group was injured, and she had to get her sister in South Africa to “motivate” the insurance to “do something”. The insurance finally kicked in (after a week), and the injured lady was transferred from Sarria to Lugo hospital. When the rest of us arrived in Santiago they then transferred her to our hotel there so she could fly back home with us. The good news is that they upgraded her to Business Class!
Jill
Thank you for sharing this information. It certainly gives me hope for my flight home which has terrified me.
Why the problem to 'motivate' the insurance company? Is the issue with the CT office or their Spanish office? Is it a language problem? Is all insurance companies?

I don’t know why the insurance (Santam) wouldn’t respond at first. The lady had injured her knee badly, and couldn’t walk, so she had to take a taxi each day while the rest of us walked. It was because she was on crutches, and had to get wheelchair assistance at the airports (Santiago, Madrid and Johannesburg), that they put her in Business Class for the flight home.
Jill

Docpam's fall was genuinely tragic. I'd very much enjoyed walking with her from Lourdes....

Let me add this. When she fell I was able to enlist the assistance of the nearby Jaca Cathedral Museum desk attendants - who were wonderful. They were able to get the rescue squad on the scene with no unreasonable delay - and the rescue squad workers were wonderful. I was permitted to ride with her in the ambulence! At Jaca Hospital I got her admitted and triaged (sp?) at once - the hospital personnel were wonderful....

Docpam's troubles were with her travel insurance company, not the Spanish rescue/medical system -- about which I can say only good things.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not cool!! You the problem really is.... that you have to watch every step you take in Spain, not just the Camino!! Holy smokes, if I get complacent and forget that I am not in my homeland, one misstep and it is all over for me!! I have had several close calls!!

Always travel with stretchable pants - as it was hot in the hospital today I tried to wear 'baggy' shorts which I had worn when walking - too tight - had to wear my 'evening' track suits pants which were baggier - did damage to wound
Know how to use social media to get medical insurance company into faster action when required
Be grateful / charming to medical and nursing staff - it does make things so much easier
Do not let down your guard - last year I walked the very difficult San Salvador but one of our group fell and broke his shoulder in a city, the same as me, falling in the city.
just a little word to say thanks for posting, in spite of the great distress you have had to undergo. Wishing you an upgrade to luxury class on your return flight. May the healing be sure and strong.

Glad to know that Pam is recovering well, and thanks jennysa for sharing the information of lights at the cathedral! I plan to walk the Le Puy and then thru the Aragones/Jaca this September.

I have walked seven different caminos but never realized there are coin slots for the lights! But I always put coins in the candle stands and to light the candles for a sense of "life", and also as a "token" financial support for those little local churches -- my sense of being on a pilgrimage of Camino/life! I particularly like those electronic candles (more environment friendly, I hope!)

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, Pam , what incredibly bad luck - I am so sorry. And I echo @ kirkie in saying thank you for posting. Under the circumstances, this is above and beyond the call.
You sound like you are handling the huge challenge with such grace, and thank goodness for good friends - to @jennysa and @rappahannock_rev .

Heartfelt well-wishes for quick healing - and more immediately a smooth and easy flight home with an upgrade! Thinking of you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back