• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cele and Rocamadour profile

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
Hi
I´m going to walk the le Puy to Compostlle again next September .
Just thinking about maybee ading one of the variantes. I've been searching but could not find any profile .
Can you help me here?
Thanks
Katia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't even think twice about doing the Cele variante - it is stunning. If I remember right it maybe adds one day to the total number of days (depending on how you go about doing it).

Don't even think twice about doing the Cele variante - it is stunning. If I remember right it maybe adds one day to the total number of days (depending on how you go about doing it).

I think it will be this one!!
Thank you all for the help!
Katia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

There seem to be two options for the Célé Variant. I don't have my guide on me, but you can see it on the map falcon269 posted. After Cabrerets you can head south through St. Cirq Lapopie, and rejoin the Chemin at Bach; or continue westwards and rejoin the Chemin at Cahors.

The Miam Miam Dodo discusses both, but I'm not sure if one is preferable to the other.

Definitely through Saint-Cirq-Lapopie because it is absolutely stunning, and then through Bach where we had the most fabulous lunch at Auberge Lou Bourdié - where Jamie Oliver learnt how to make various desserts. Monique Valette is the patronne, and boy, can she cook!

Definitely through Saint-Cirq-Lapopie because it is absolutely stunning, and then through Bach where we had the most fabulous lunch at Auberge Lou Bourdié - where Jamie Oliver learnt how to make various desserts. Monique Valette is the patronne, and boy, can she cook!
Kanga, have you done both variants? If so, do you prefer one to the other? How long does it take to add each one in to the route by walking? Any bus or taxi options if having a time constraints? I plan to do the LePiy route in June of 2018 and take 3+ weeks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
absolutely via Saint-Cirq-Lapopie ... an unmissable stop ... and from St. Cirq there are at least two options through to Cahors [see map posted by Falcon] ... we are taking the route via Pasturat and the GR36/46 which keeps closer to the Lot River ... overnight at Vers/Béars

I think it will be this one!!
Thank you all for the help!
Katia

I would do the variant and come back via Concots , Bach to Vaylats.
There is something special on these off the road Grs.

@Camino Chris that's not enough time to get all the way from Le Puy to SJPDP - its about 800km - but because there is no imperative to get to SJPDP you can plan to stop somewhere logical beforehand. Probably somewhere with good railway connections. This planner is helpful:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense

I d0 prefer the Celé route but it is very solitary.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Camino Chris that's not enough time to get all the way from Le Puy to SJPDP - its about 800km - but because there is no imperative to get to SJPDP you can plan to stop somewhere logical beforehand. Probably somewhere with good railway connections. This planner is helpful:

I'm sorry, Kanga. I did not post enough info. I will be with two seasoned Camino friends and we only plan to walk to Moissac, which appears to take three weeks at about 13 miles per day. We will plan extra days for the variants, once we find out how many more days they take. We'd love to include both of them, but maybe walk to Cele, your favorite and find a bus to take to Rocamadour since it is touristy? Thank you for responding. How many days did the Cele take you?

Ah that's perfect. And I love Moissac, a beautiful town in which to finish.
I have not taken the Rocamadour variant, but I know it is easy to catch the train there and back in a day, from Figeac.

Ah that's perfect. And I love Moissac, a beautiful town in which to finish.
I have not taken the Rocamadour variant, but I know it is easy to catch the train there and back in a day, from Figeac.
Thanks! I'll look into the train option to R!
P.S. Hope your foot injury is starting to heal nicely by now.

Better get up to date Kanga old mate,
A young couple from Bach have gone to Concots , 10 km away , and opened the old restaurant once owned by Pierre which was destroyed by fire.
They do a more upmarket lunch for 6 euros less , and you can pay by card.
Resraurant L' Esprit du Causse.

We tried both and Concots was unanimous in the voting.
It is a very classy renovation and accepted by the village so much they now prepare the food for the kindergarten within the village.
The chef trained in he Uk before returning

Monique lost a lot of people when we were there last week because of the cash only rule
She is now 18 euros for lunch.

Anyone leaving St Cirq Lapopie should in my opinion stop for lunch at Concots and head to Vaylats for the night .
There has been an increase in food outlets , again by young couples in this tiny hamlet.

I've been looking at the godesalco website and I am noticing there are many, many villages listed along the route. Because of this I'm surprised to hear from several who have walked the Le Puy that there are some rather long stretches without adequate food and lodging stops. Would this be correct?

Yes, there are villages but they have no services. People can drive so easily to larger centres, that many, if not most, of the small village shops have closed down, and other services consolidated in large regional towns. It is rather sad.

I did notice when walking the Canal du Midi that the needs of canal boat users has started a bit of a resurgence of local restaurants and provisioning shops. It might happen on the walking routes, but perhaps not, because the accommodation providers have stepped into the breach and in many places provide demi-pension.

In contrast to shops we found there was plenty of accommodation on the Le Puy, as long as you don't mind paying more and staying sometimes in chamber-de-hôtes instead of gites.

Oh, on accommodation, I should not mislead - we always booked at least one day ahead. It can get busy during September, particularly during the weekends.

Thanks! I'll look into the train option to R!
P.S. Hope your foot injury is starting to heal nicely by now.
Yes, very easy to do and highly recommend.
I can't answer any specifics at this time but did post them on my blog I think.
shefollowsshells.blogspot.com
We started walking August 24th so you'd have to skip two weeks or so to see that and the Cele valley.
I would not have missed either!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.