• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

App recommendation for the Cele Valley?

Cleenjones

CF 2022 Le Puy 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF: September 2022
Le Puy: September 2023
I’m currently walking the Le Puy and loving it! But as of today I’m running into a bit of navigation problem. I took my first variant today and ended up doing a lot of road walking because neither of my tried and true apps (Buen Camino and Podiensis) show the variants.

The Cele Valley variant is coming up fast and and I’m wondering if someone could recommend an app that works well for it (GR651) I’ve looked at AllTrails, but a couple of the reviews indicated that the app innacurate for the Cele.

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there. Bonjour

We walked the Cele Valley variant a few months ago. We didn’t have an app but I had a kindle version of the Cicerone Le Puy Guidebook which includes the Cele Valley Variant. It was written by Dave Whitson aka @Dave. We found the path well marked.

If you are staying in Cabrerets, I highly recommend visiting La Grotte du Pêche Merle after you arrive or the next morning - it’s on the Way out of town. You’d be well advised to book. It’s extraordinary. We booked online in advance for the first tour of the morning. I think it was 9.30.

So glad you are enjoying the Le Puy Way and trust you will enjoy the Cele Valley variant. We loved it. We live a little further along in Lectoure. ❤️

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m currently walking the Le Puy and loving it! But as of today I’m running into a bit of navigation problem. I took my first variant today and ended up doing a lot of road walking because neither of my tried and true apps (Buen Camino and Podiensis) show the variants.

The Cele Valley variant is coming up fast and and I’m wondering if someone could recommend an app that works well for it (GR651) I’ve looked at AllTrails, but a couple of the reviews indicated that the app innacurate for the Cele.

Thanks!
I walked the variant in 2019 and couldn’t find an app that covered it. I downloaded French topo maps and an overlay of the route, then printed them out. You can’t do that unless you have lots of time and bandwidth, but here’s an overview of the route (see below). I suggest you try using Google maps (satellite view) and your phone GPS. Take the towns off the map below. Put them into Google Maps and use directions for walking. This will get you headed in the right direction. Then look for the GR 651 trail markings. The route is pretty well marked. Use your phone GPS to keep from getting lost.
IMG_2069.jpeg

Thanks!
WISE PILGRAM

Thanks!
Cele is gorgeous. No need of your phone. Great signs and lovely

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks!
Bonjour @Cleenjones 👋👋👋 à propos apps for the GR651 Célé valley variante. The most reliable apps for the Célé are iPhiGéNie [with IGN / GeoPortail base maps], GeoPortail [mapping app published by IGN, the national mapping agency of France], Mapy.cz and MapOut. All of them will help you nagivate the Célé variante, should you require it. The trail is well waymarked with the traditional red-and-white blazes … and it is magnificent. Forget about apps such as AllTrails that are essentially based on other peoples’ traces of the route. iPhiGéNie is the best of them all but the others are also very accurate.

I used the "Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis" Guidebook by Angelynn Meya in 2018. I had no apps at that time, but my friends and I managed to follow the Cele Valley variant with no real trouble using the guide book with its included maps and extra information. I did have a few downloaded offline maps with us.
As others have said, it is beautiful, gorgeous, magnificent, and I will add absolutely stunning!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it necessary to book ahead on the Cele Variant in July/August? I am not necessarily wanting the demi pension, but perhaps there are limited options in this regard? Thank you.

Is it necessary to book ahead on the Cele Variant in July/August? I am not necessarily wanting the demi pension, but perhaps there are limited options in this regard? Thank you.
I am not very fond of booking ahead, but you should know that there are very few accommodations on the Voie du Célé. Furthermore, this nice walk is not only followed by pilgrims, but also by hikers (following "Le Tour du Lot", for instance).
Therefore I strongly suggest to book ahead on this Variant, namely because, as @Scott Fraser wrote it is french holidays during summer.
Please, notice that if you fail in founding enough accommodations and if a walking day appears as too long, you can use a canoë on the Célé in order to replace your legs by your hands on a few kilometers, for instance between Marcilhac-sur-Célé and Cabrerets...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Will the GR65, from Figeac to Cahor, be as busy as Cele route at this time? I have not walked either ways and am open to the exploration! Like many, I am would love to experience the beauty and splendour of the valley. You have all given such stella reviews...

But, given the busy-ness of French summer hikers in early August, would you recommend staying on the GR65? What are the pluses of this way? Thank you in advance for your input!

Will the GR65, from Figeac to Cahor, be as busy as Cele route at this time? I have not walked either ways and am open to the exploration! Like many, I am would love to experience the beauty and splendour of the valley. You have all given such stella reviews...

But, given the busy-ness of French summer hikers in early August, would you recommend staying on the GR65? What are the pluses of this way? Thank you in advance for your input!
Both the GR65 and GR651 are likely to be a little busy, but not hugely so, especially if it is hot ... there’s a bit more accommodation on the GR65 ...

OK, thank you. B-rocker.
Which route do you prefer and what are the positives of GR65? (continuing on from Figeac to Cahor).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK, thank you. B-rocker.
Which route do you prefer and what are the positives of GR65? (continuing on from Figeac to Cahor).
GR651 Voie du Célé is spectacular, fabulous valley views, more strenuous but do-able ... I have not walked it in August but have walked elsewhere on the GR65 in August ... to avoid being out in the sun at the hottest time of day, I would plan for speedy departure after breakfast and shorter stages. Critical to carry water as it can be hard to find. There are a number of pretty campgrounds [with refreshments and snacks or simple meals] along the river and river beaches for swimming ... huge bonus if the heat is oppressive🌞

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back