• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cell phone for Camino Portugués

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
When I walked the Camino Francés in 2013, I took an unlocked, non-smart phone and used an Orange SIM card for voice and text only. It worked great all along the CF. I also had my locked Verizon CDMA smart phone, which I used for wifi only when I needed internet access. Again this worked fine, but it meant carrying two devices.

I will be returning later this spring to walk the Camino Portugués from Porto to Santiago, which means I'll need coverage in both Spain and Portugal. I will have my choice of bringing any of three phones this time: 1) the same non-smart phone as in 2013; 2) an unlocked iPhone 3GS (3G only, not 4G/LTE); or 3) my current iPhone 5S, which is Verizon-based but unlocked as are all current Verizon LTE phones. I would appreciate any thoughts on which phone I should bring and which carrier's SIM card I should purchase for use in both Portugal and Spain. I know that the EU will be easing roaming restrictions this summer, but I will be there and back home before that takes place.

Thanks,
Jim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum