• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell phone sim cards

Gringobruce

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese
Hey folks any input on cellular sim cards for Spain Portugal. I found one on Amazon, Orange for $22 10 gigs Eu 25 gigs Spain and most important 28 days It has mixed reviews I need a decent card for GPS and making reservations, trains hotels
Thanks in advance gringobruce

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Legally, I believe you are supposed to show identification when you purchase a Sim card in Spain although I know people on the forum have said they have purchased them outside the country with varying success.

Spain and Portugal do not have the same providers, beware!
This Orange card covers most EU members, this particular card has bonus time in Spain. Based on feed back I have decided to buy a card upon arrival in Lisbon. The most costly way is using US companies like T Mobile You can get a months service which covers most normal needs between $20/$40

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This Orange card covers most EU members, this particular card has bonus time in Spain. Based on feed back I have decided to buy a card upon arrival in Lisbon. The most costly way is using US companies like T Mobile You can get a months service which covers most normal needs between $20/$40
I was caught with a sim bought in Lisbon that I was assured would also work in Spain (in fact in all of Europe). It did not. Despite hours spent on the phone to the provider.

Next trip I will use the Airalo app to find a local eSim. Fingers crossed it works.

Hey folks any input on cellular sim cards for Spain Portugal. I found one on Amazon, Orange for $22 10 gigs Eu 25 gigs Spain and most important 28 days It has mixed reviews I need a decent card for GPS and making reservations, trains hotels
Suggest you wait and buy a SIM card when you arrived in Spain/Portugal. Last fall I did the Portuguese and El Salvador. Bought a Vodaphone SIM card in Madrid and never had any connection issues - cost was about 25 euros for 100GB/28 days. The short term plans are continually changing though. There are probably other plans which would work well, including Orange and maybe Movistar.

I was caught with a sim bought in Lisbon that I was assured would also work in Spain (in fact in all of Europe). It did not. Despite hours spent on the phone to the provider.

Next trip I will use the Airalo app to find a local eSim. Fingers crossed it works.
Good info

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The most costly way is using US companies like T Mobile
For me, the least costly option is T-Mobile. Unlike Verizon and AT&T I pay $0 extra for data and texting while I'm abroad. They do charge 25 cents/minute for phone calls, but I get around that by making free calls using WhatsApp, or very inexpensive calls (for instance if I need to call a landline like my bank at home) using the Viber app at only 2 cents a minute.

I've seen posts on the forum where someone says they bought a SIM in one country that they were told would work in other countries but did not. I'm remembering that the problem was that calls could be made but that data didn't work. It may have been the other way around though. At any rate inquire about this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recently had to buy a new phone as mine went out to sea. Long and scary adventure. I was told Iphone don't use physical sim cards anymore for ...it is internal and go into a store...like Orange...and ask them to switch the USA digital sim to a local sim in my iphone 14. Does anyone know about this?

Absolutely wrong... Meaning they have different providers but unless you're buying a cheapo sim card, the EU requires that SIM cards work in both (all EU) countries... Check to be sure they do .. This is from direct 2 months experience in both countries in 2019 (about when the law became enforced) and 2 months in Portugal Spain and France in 2022...

Where is the Orange cell phone shop at the Madrid airport? I didn't see it at the arrival deck on T4. Perhaps it's on another floor or terminal?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recently had to buy a new phone as mine went out to sea. Long and scary adventure. I was told Iphone don't use physical sim cards anymore for ...it is internal and go into a store...like Orange...and ask them to switch the USA digital sim to a local sim in my iphone 14. Does anyone know about this?
Here are search results for threads that have esim in the title. The first few look like they may be very helpful.

Where is the Orange cell phone shop at the Madrid airport? I didn't see it at the arrival deck on T4. Perhaps it's on another floor or terminal?
Apparently there is a shop selling Orange sims in the subway station of T2

I am not sure on location of a Orange store in the airport, but my experience in Italy was bad , buying a sim card at the airport is a rip as is anything you buy at the airport. Google a reputable store outside the airport or buy online through Amazon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Portugal you will find the preponderance of cell phone service providers are MEO and Vodaphone and a new 5G provider NOS. I live here and have an iPhone13. There are no Apple store either, just a few mom and pop stores that can do repair services.

I know that you have a lot more knowledge on this subject than I do. Also I am also a little leery of what I hear from employees in some of the Vodafone stores I have been in. Last fall when I started on the Aragones I thought of moving over to Portugal after I finished and walk the Portugues. When I bought my sim card at the Vodafone store in Barcelona I told the employee of my possible itinerary. He told me that my pre-paid plan would offer the same benefits in Portugal as I would have in Spain and could recharge it online while I was walking in Portugal. I decided to stay on the CF when I got to Puente La Reina so I never went to Portugal. This year I will walk Camino Vasco starting in Bayonne. Where I go from there is up in the air. I will buy my sim and prepay my plan in Madrid. I believe you live in France, correct? Do you have any knowledge if a Vodafone prepay, bought in Spain will work in France? I intend to stay at least 2 days in Madrid before I begin and probably be in France for a few days as I would like to stay in Bayonne for 2 days and take 2 days to get to Irun from Bayonne. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had a great experience using an eSim with Airalo - https://www.airalo.com/ Easy to create an account, and do everything online. You can choose 7, 15 or 30 days and just add more if you need. They offer varying amounts of data and (I think) are quite affordable. (I have a Samsung S21)

I had a great experience using an eSim with Airalo - https://www.airalo.com/ Easy to create an account, and do everything online. You can choose 7, 15 or 30 days and just add more if you need. They offer varying amounts of data and (I think) are quite affordable. (I have a Samsung S21)
How is Airalo for traveling between France, Spain, and Portugal?

I only used it in Spain. But they offer regional plans too - so I would imagine it's pretty streamlined. They have pretty decent reviews.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know that you have a lot more knowledge on this subject than I do. Also I am also a little leery of what I hear from employees in some of the Vodafone stores I have been in. Last fall when I started on the Aragones I thought of moving over to Portugal after I finished and walk the Portugues. When I bought my sim card at the Vodafone store in Barcelona I told the employee of my possible itinerary. He told me that my pre-paid plan would offer the same benefits in Portugal as I would have in Spain and could recharge it online while I was walking in Portugal. I decided to stay on the CF when I got to Puente La Reina so I never went to Portugal. This year I will walk Camino Vasco starting in Bayonne. Where I go from there is up in the air. I will buy my sim and prepay my plan in Madrid. I believe you live in France, correct? Do you have any knowledge if a Vodafone prepay, bought in Spain will work in France? I intend to stay at least 2 days in Madrid before I begin and probably be in France for a few days as I would like to stay in Bayonne for 2 days and take 2 days to get to Irun from Bayonne. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
I am no longer living in France, I moved to Portugal in 2023. To keep it simple my experience with Orange in France and all along the various Camino for over 10 years was great with their simcard in my cellphone.

That is correct that the iPhone 13 and 14 do not have physical SIM cards. It is digital as you mentioned. I have used SIM cards in other countries in my iPhone 13 and it works great. You just insert the card in the side slot and then you have the option of making the new SIM your primary. You can actually switch back and forth between the two SIM cards if you choose or just use the new one you inserted as your primary, I have done this both in Qatar and recently in Cuba. I plan to purchase a SIM card once I arrive in Spain. My daughter has been living in Madrid for the past year and she too is using a SIM card from Spain and we communicate via text daily.

Orange Mundo SIM cards are sold in an electronics store Madrid Airport central location. I forget the name of the store. It always seems to be open Sunday mornings at 0800 when I arrive. Last card I bought was April last year, about 40E for 40-50 gigs with plenty of calling in Spain. I never ran out. Under this plan, I was able to roll up to 20 gigs of unused data into the next 30 day period. Basically you get 2 months of data. Under the old one month plans I always needed to find an orange store for the 15E topup after 30 days. was never able to do it at newstand kiosks or online.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On a quick look Airalo have plans for one country, or one continent or global. A little more expensive each time. Once you buy from them you get a log in and account. I just discovered I still have an active Spanish esim that I can top up.
My last Camino was also an esim learning curve - that cost some extra dollars as I tried different providers 🤣. There are other providers who can give coverage for required countries eg I had one for Latvia and Spain at one point - (if the Airalo plans don’t suit)

I am no longer living in France, I moved to Portugal in 2023. To keep it simple my experience with Orange in France and all along the various Camino for over 10 years was great with their simcard in my cellphone.
I love Portugal and especially love Coimbra. It is the perfect size for me. The people are wonderful everywhere in Portugal. If I could only get my wife to move there! Hope you are loving it, thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My T-Mobile plan includes unlimited text and WiFi at no cost. I don’t know if they still offer it, but Sprint used to offer the same. the speed is a little slower, but not so bad that it mattered.
Yep t-mobile has good plans for us numbers.
Costa Rica last year had the basic, so could text/WhatsApp for free and data was just about good enough for maps most of the time.
We have upgraded to the plus plan, includes 5gb hi speed , 256kbs speed after that, texts free, non us calls $25cents/minute.

We have upgraded to the plus plan, includes 5gb hi speed , 256kbs speed after that, texts free, non us calls $25cents/minute.
You don't even have to pay 25 cents/minute if you use an app like Skype or Viber.

Doesn't Google Fi Unlimited Plus give you voice, text and data for 3 months anywhere in Europe?
I'm unsure about the 3 months part but the rest is described here

Note that cell calls are 20 cents per minute but if you get into airplane mode and then turn on wifi (and you have a wifi connection) most calls will be 2 or 3 cents per minute depending on whether you are calling a landline or cellular phone.

Data speeds may possibly be throttled.

Doesn't Google Fi Unlimited Plus give you voice, text and data for 3 months anywhere in Europe?
Let me add to what I've already written just above. I believe that Google FI will charge you 20 cents a minute for international calls made to you from the US. I think the other American networks do similarly. I suggest that when you get a call like this you return the call using FI over WiFi as I described earlier or use an app such as whatsapp or viber that makes calls over data.

In 2019 I purchased a Vodafone SIM card in Spain that I used in Spain, Portugal and France for ten weeks. I topped it up online, twice, using my credit card without problems and it worked flawlessly in all three countries. The standard Vodafone pre-pay service is for 28 days (four weeks). I never ran out of data or minutes.

In many phones you do need to go into the setup and ensure that roaming is turned on for both data and talk services for each SIM card in your phone. My phone takes two SIM cards.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thank you so much for this tip. I downloaded the app and it’s super easy to order it seems. Been debating how to go about this and voilà…thank you 👍😊

I got that same sized SIM card last June in Oviedo at the Orange store for 20 euros. I’d buy in Spain and get another in Portugal. They’ll make sure it’s working before you leave.

If from the UK and with a Vodafone phone or sim only contract they offer a £1 daily charge to use your minutes, texts and data allowances in Europe. If you have a high allowance such as unlimited calls, texts and data it becomes worthwhile and you also get to keep your phone number.
It can be ordered via text in 8 or 15 day amounts or can be pre ordered for when you depart by contacting customer services.

This isn't second hand information, I've just arranged mine today.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! I started my camino in Pamplona with a friend that had only 2 weeks. She purchased the Orange eSim card from Amazon. I bought a SIM card in Pamplona at a Vodaphone store. I think I had much better service in Spain with the vodaphone SIM card. She had to go to the orange store in Pamplona to get her eSim going. I think she had a French phone number which posed some minor problems for her. I paid 20 euros for a 28 day card which had 120 gb of data as well. Then when it expired, they texted me to extend it out for a fee, of course. When I used up all that data, they texted me again. I will do the same when I go back this September but not sure if I can use the same SIM card. But I still have it and hope I can have the same phone number. I was in Spain for 36 days and I think it cost me around 50 euros. I used WhatsApp and called home every night. If you are doing the Camino Frances, you will be spending most of your time in Spain, I recommend getting a Spanish SIM card. My 2 cents. 😁

Will an Orange esim work also in France?
We started in Pamplona so I can't be definite about that because we didn't test it. But since she had a French phone number, it probably would have work there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interested to know where is the first place to buy a Spanish sim when on Camino Frances. Do most people buy them in SJPP or do you wait and grab one in Roncesvalles? Im flying into Paris. Obviously like all I am going to need a sim to be able to communicate with accom family etc.
Thank you all in advance

Spring 2022 bought a Vodaphone simcard in Portugal for 10E and then another one in Spain for 10E. Excellent coverage, excellent data, no worries. My experience says buy the best deal from the biggest company and use Whatsapp for voice coms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interested to know where is the first place to buy a Spanish sim when on Camino Frances. Do most people buy them in SJPP or do you wait and grab one in Roncesvalles? Im flying into Paris. Obviously like all I am going to need a sim to be able to communicate with accom family etc.
Thank you all in advance
I would buy a Vodaphone card in Spain and keep my home sim until then. While the cards can work across the EU, they offer different deals in each country. e.g. Today, Vodaphone Tourist, Portugal, 35E 30 days, 10GB D, 500min voice local, 50min voice Portugal to USA, CDN etc.. Vodaphone Spain:
  • Vodafone Prepaid M
  • 100GB (50GB + 50GB)
  • Unlimited national and Romanian minutes
  • 800 international minutes
  • Roaming included in the EU, UK and US
GB Extra up to 02/28/23
SIM and free shipping in 24-48h
€15 /28 days

Spain deal is much much better. Shop around online and pick up the best deal in Spain. I suspect France will be more expensive but I did not check!

Thank you Ill take a look. Do you think Id be able to buy the sim in Roncesvalles?

That is correct that the iPhone 13 and 14 do not have physical SIM cards. It is digital as you mentioned. I have used SIM cards in other countries in my iPhone 13 and it works great. You just insert the card in the side slot and then you have the option of making the new SIM your primary. You can actually switch back and forth between the two SIM cards if you choose or just use the new one you inserted as your primary, I have done this both in Qatar and recently in Cuba. I plan to purchase a SIM card once I arrive in Spain. My daughter has been living in Madrid for the past year and she too is using a SIM card from Spain and we communicate via text daily.
This is a tangential phone question: I see you are from Sta Barbara so I think you have heard of Tracfone. A few weeks ago I heard that if you have a Tracfone unlocked and switch the SIM card so the phone can be used in Spain for example, any remaining minutes one had on the phone through Tracfone are wiped out. I don't understand how they legally can do that.
What do you make of it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Ill take a look. Do you think Id be able to buy the sim in Roncesvalles?

Do most people buy them in SJPP or do you wait and grab one in Roncesvalles?
There is nowhere to buy one in Roncesvalles. The closest place on the CF selling them is almost certainly in Pamplona. Here in the UK sim cards are sold in supermarkets and convenience shops but in Spain they are only available from specialist mobile phone shops. If you are spending time in France on arrival it might be better to buy a French sim with roaming coverage for Spain if you think you will need phone service in the first few days of your walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My T-Mobile plan includes unlimited text and WiFi at no cost. I don’t know if they still offer it, but Sprint used to offer the same. the speed is a little slower, but not so bad that it mattered.
I could be quite wrong here, but isn't the GB T-moble limited...like maybe 5GB for X days?

Does your current provider offer deals for travelling? When I upgraded my phone I chose a package that offered international roaming (use your own data without extra fees). It’s been worth every penny as I knew I would be travelling for extended periods (and it dealt with the loss of free EU roaming as a result of Brexit).

I’ve been in seven countries (EU, Aus/NZ, and UAE) in the last six months and the only place it didn’t work was Dubai airport where they offer free wifi anyway.

Does your current provider offer deals for travelling? When I upgraded my phone I chose a package that offered international roaming (use your own data without extra fees). It’s been worth every penny as I knew I would be travelling for extended periods (and it dealt with the loss of free EU roaming as a result of Brexit).

I’ve been in seven countries (EU, Aus/NZ, and UAE) in the last six months and the only place it didn’t work was Dubai airport where they offer free wifi anyway.
Yes. I have an O2 UK contract. It provides ‘free’* EU roaming (irrespective of Brexit), and 27 others countries, mainly The Americas (north, south and central), Australia and New Zealand. Most other countries (but not all) are charged at £6 a day* for all data, calls and minutes. So Thailand is £6 a day but Laos*** is not (big charges per MB!) so care is needed though I ‘cap’ my data spend (£51 per month) to stop any disasters. I am not 100% clear on European countries that are not in the EU such as Bosnia.

* defination of free is that it is part of your UK data, calls and texts allowance.
**definations of day can vary. Some relate it back to UK time, but mine relates to the capital city of the county I am in.
*** I used a lot of data in Laos assuming it was £6 a day (it’s not), but thankfully next to Thai border bot was charged at the Thai rate of £6 a day!

There does seem to be some differences as to when you took out your contract (which is I do think relate to Brexit) which may determine whether you keep your current provider or not, if international costs are key.

Always look out for ‘curveballs’. Was in Indonesia other week and had to call Australia for a flight issue. The normal +61 Oz code didn’t work so I had to find another access code which I did, but sadly cost me £50 as was not covered in the normal Indonesia deal (£6 a day).I contacted them and without even really discussing it they gave me a £35 credit!

Lastly and maybe for those on long trips, there is a thing called ‘fair share’. Basically as I am nomadic and don’t spend alot of time in UK, my ex provider called me for using all my data overseas. My current provider seem to let me use the vast majority overseas as I buy above a certain threshold. It almost seems ‘to good to be true’ but not been called on it yet!!

Damn I have just realised that the post above was not a new thread (still getting used to the APP) so my post is probably useless to most but will leave it up anyway I case any UK folks get benefit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can still get a physical SIM card for your iPhone if you want to. Contact your service provider. Or go to their store. I had an eSIM and in Spain bought a SIM card at orange and they set it up for me.

Next time, however, I will switch before traveling from an eSIM to a US physical SIM because I got some international charges for texts and such coming from the US. That won’t happen with a physical SIM. Taking it out and putting one in from Spain would avoid that problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i have used the free roaming on multiple trips of over a month and not had any problems. The WiFi is at a slower speed, but that hasn’t been a problem for me.
EE roaming offer as a extra with your contract is for whatever data/minutes you purchase. I left the UK last August and have been using my data overseas ever since. The only extra charges would be for things like calls to non-EU numbers and so forth. I try to limit non-internet based calls and messages and have not been stung with lots of extra charges yet.

You can still get a physical SIM card for your iPhone if you want to. Contact your service provider. Or go to their store. I had an eSIM and in Spain bought a SIM card at orange and they set it up for me.

Next time, however, I will switch before traveling from an eSIM to a US physical SIM because I got some international charges for texts and such coming from the US. That won’t happen with a physical SIM. Taking it out and putting one in from Spain would avoid that problem.
I am confused about SIM cards in general. If I get a SIM card in Spain and install it in the iPhone I use at home, what happens to my Canadian cell phone number? I have read that one gets a Spanish number with the SIM card but my concern is that the contact number for my room reservations, luggage transport, etc is my Canadian cell #. Can someone please explain how this works?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am confused about SIM cards in general. If I get a SIM card in Spain and install it in the iPhone I use at home, what happens to my Canadian cell phone number? I have read that one gets a Spanish number with the SIM card but my concern is that the contact number for my room reservations, luggage transport, etc is my Canadian cell #. Can someone please explain how this works?
You remove your home SIM card and store it safely so you can reinstall it when you leave Spain. They are extremely small, but are super easy to take in and out. When it’s out, your number is disconnected. Use your email address for room reservations and the rest. Otherwise you will have to take the SIM card in and out (plus you’ll pay international fees when you check voicemail). In the alternative, you can do everything through WhatsApp and can update your phone number in the app when you change the SIM card.

What model iPhone do you have? Newest ones don’t have SIM cards but use eSIM where it is done digitally through your carriers.

You remove your home SIM card and store it safely so you can reinstall it when you leave Spain. They are extremely small, but are super easy to take in and out. When it’s out, your number is disconnected. Use your email address for room reservations and the rest. Otherwise you will have to take the SIM card in and out (plus you’ll pay international fees when you check voicemail). In the alternative, you can do everything through WhatsApp and can update your phone number in the app when you change the SIM card.

What model iPhone do you have? Newest ones don’t have SIM cards but use eSIM where it is done digitally through your carriers.
iPhone 13 .....it has a redular SIM card.
When I travelled before, I took a "burner" phone and put the Spanish SIM card in it. It was a workable solution but perhaps not the best ome....

Good to hear.! Long may it continue! There is a thing called ‘fairshare’ that many UK mobiles companies adhere too albeit all in a slightly way with different ‘tolerances’. It basically saying …’look I know you have a overseas EU roaming deal with free inclusive texts, calls and data, but it’s meant for folks who do a few days in EU countries a month, rather than the longer term. Get yourself an EU phone contract if you are permanently there!’

Before I know about this I used mine non stop in Spain for 4 months then got a message reigning me in so I limited my use. Since then changed supplier and no issues but not something to be aware of.

Did you have your EE contact before 7 July 2021?
EE roaming offer as a extra with your contract is for whatever data/minutes you purchase. I left the UK last August and have been using my data overseas ever since. The only extra charges would be for things like calls to non-EU numbers and so forth. I try to limit non-internet based calls and messages and have not been stung with lots of extra charges yet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good to hear.! Long may it continue! There is a thing called ‘fairshare’ that many UK mobiles companies adhere too albeit all in a slightly way with different ‘tolerances’. It basically saying …’look I know you have a overseas EU roaming deal with free inclusive texts, calls and data, but it’s meant for folks who do a few days in EU countries a month, rather than the longer term. Get yourself an EU phone contract if you are permanently there!’

Before I know about this I used mine non stop in Spain for 4 months then got a message reigning me in so I limited my use. Since then changed supplier and no issues but not something to be aware of.

Did you have your EE contact before 7 July 2021?
No I changed contract when I got the new phone a year ago. Been with EE for ages but just picked the deal that offered something useful for me (other options were sports subs or streaming stuff I think).

No I changed contract when I got the new phone a year ago. Been with EE for ages but just picked the deal that offered something useful for me (other options were sports subs or streaming stuff I think).
Great! I think if you moved to them after above date the roaming deal may be different!

When I travelled before, I took a "burner" phone and put the Spanish SIM card in it. It was a workable solution but perhaps not the best ome....
Not the best one for sure for an iPhone 13 which has a dual SIM capability, a slot for a physical SIM and a built-in eSIM. You can have text and voice calls come in on your home number and data on the Spanish number. Swap things around to make sense for your needs at the time.

This Apple support webpage will help explain.

This forum's threads with "eSIM" in the title will also provide help.

Last edited:
Great! I think if you moved to them after above date the roaming deal may be different!
Well they’ve certainly not tried to cut me off yet. I did wonder how far these deals would stretch but it’s been fine so far!

My last post linked to an Apple Support webpage. That may be a bit hard to understand but Apple support has some instructional videos for iPhones. Watching these may make the text instructions easier to understand.

YouTube video id g5j7ILjx-BI shows how to install a number to an eSIM.

YouTube video id 7lnEQLVOsH4 shows how to use dual SIM once you have installed a number to your eSIM.

I have been reading about physical Sim vs eSim and think the latter is the way to go.

Since I am a Canadian Shaw Mobile customer I think I am going to purchase a 10 GB 30 day data eSim package from Airalo for $18 US and use WiFi calling to make the occasional phone call while in Spain

This way I can continue to use my Canadian mobile phone number for 2 factor authentication text messages when need be

Thoughts?

Since I am a Canadian Shaw Mobile customer I think I am going to purchase a 10 GB 30 day data eSim package from Airalo for $18 US and use WiFi calling to make the occasional phone call while in Spain
My first thought was to get a Spanish plan. There is plenty of data available for pilgrim use with them and they are cheap. This also gives you a real Spanish phone number and voice minutes. You might even have international minutes to call home with instead of using your expensive Canadian plan. You would still have Whatsapp available too.

Having used Orange before I looked for prices for it. I found a GREAT webpage by a travel writer pretty much describing all things Orange (but other pages describe other networks). Based on what was there on his webpage I would pick the Go Fly Orange plan for physical SIM cards for 20€. It gives you 35 GB total data where 11 GB can be used in a good number of other countries.
Good for 28 days and 5000 minutes.

So I would switch my SIM data over to eSIM and use the Orange SIM for the camino. The webpage indicates buying SIM cards is really easy. If you do the switch to home number on eSIM consider whether to bring the SIM with you anyway to cover yourself. Maybe not needed if your phone's eSIM can take more than one number/plan.

Hi.
I used the Nomad App and purchase an eSim for SE Asia in Jan - worked great.
Works for data if you don't need the Spanish/ Portuguese number
They have 5GB plan for 30 days for all EU for approx €16.
Good luck

Do you still have your old phone? My old phone is my Camino phone. It's an old S6 but good enough for local call in Spain with an Orange simm. This way my new phone that is still locked is my wifi phone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you still have your old phone? My old phone is my Camino phone. It's an old S6 but good enough for local call in Spain with an Orange simm. This way my new phone that is still locked is my wifi phone.
Not any more. I packed up my stuff in the UK to travel for a while and traded in my old 6S. I don’t make many calls anyway, it’s more useful for me to have data (when wifi is not available) and a decent battery life, as the 6S was still a good phone except for battery life.

Not any more. I packed up my stuff in the UK to travel for a while and traded in my old 6S. I don’t make many calls anyway, it’s more useful for me to have data (when wifi is not available) and a decent battery life, as the 6S was still a good phone except for battery life.
Yes, the battery life is an issue. There are replacement batteries available but they are likely as old as the battery it replaces. As long as I power off my S6, it will hold a charge for days and provide a few hours when needed, which is perfect for local calls. My new phone is locked so this solves my issues.

Legally, I believe you are supposed to show identification when you purchase a Sim card in Spain although I know people on the forum have said they have purchased them outside the country with varying success.

I have recently bought 4 SIMs whilst in Australia. OK Overkill.

I've not had a lot of luck in the past with SIMs, so I intially ordered 2 different brands.
That way I could use the one that worked best.

Then the place I ordered from did not communicate, the website looked a bit dodgy, and it was taking an age for the SIMs to arrive.

So I ordered 2 more SIMs from a different supplier.

Supplier 1, arrived yesterday after about 6 weeks.
Supplier 2 took about 3 weeks.

But my point?

In both cases to have the SIMS activated, on my arrival date in Spain, I had to provide a copy of my passport. I don't see that as a big drama. Hotels here copy them when you check in, hire car companies do it......

We bought these sim cards from Amazon (USA) for our Camino last September and they worked great! Easy setup as soon as we landed in Paris. Worked in Portugal and Spain without any problems.

I think the law was a response to terrorism incidents in Spain. If it isnt being enforced, then so be it. In the US we have less stringent requirements hence the term "burner phone" that can be purchased anonymously and easily abandoned. It is always a factor on TV crime dramas.

I would buy a Vodaphone card in Spain and keep my home sim until then. While the cards can work across the EU, they offer different deals in each country. e.g. Today, Vodaphone Tourist, Portugal, 35E 30 days, 10GB D, 500min voice local, 50min voice Portugal to USA, CDN etc.. Vodaphone Spain:
  • Vodafone Prepaid M
  • 100GB (50GB + 50GB)
GB Extra up to 02/28/23
SIM and free shipping in 24-48h
€15 /28 days

Spain deal is much much better. Shop around online and pick up the best deal in Spain. I suspect France will be more expensive but I did not check!
Will we be able to buy this plan direct from the mobile phone shops at Madrid airport? Or is this an online promotion?
Anyway, any idea if it is more expensive to purchase a sim card from Madrid Airport compared to a store in the city?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
  • Vodafone Prepaid M
  • 100GB (50GB + 50GB)
I'm going to assume that is amusing autocorrect, since (although I haven't looked up the numbers), I'm going to assume only a few pilgrims would have reason to regularly call Romania.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.