• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Central route start from Porto

ladnergal

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago, 2015
In 2015 I did the Camino Frances and loved it. I'll be doing the Porto to Santiago Central route in April this year. From many things I've read, it seems like the first few (10kms?) out of Porto are quite industrial. A few have mentioned taking a bus or ??? to avoid this. Any suggestions as to which village I could make my starting point and if you get a bus from the Porto bus station. Any other options or suggestions welcomed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The underground train system is excellent. I asked in the Tourist Office in front of Porto Cathedral and they suggested which line to take (nearest my accommodation) and where to get off. They spoke english. I just missed 10km of city walking and came out directly on the Caminho. It really was very easy indeed.

My wife and I walked the central route in April 2017 from Porto. The first day out of Porto is not so much industrial, it is more a case of a lot of road walking on the busy N-306 for the last third of the day. This road has narrow shoulders and you feel the need to pull your shoulders in each time a car meets you!
If you plan to walk the central route, (which by the way is very interesting except day one) I would recommend walking the coastal route to Vila do Conde and then crossing back to the central route and rejoining it just before Arcos. Easy to do and no back tracking involved.
Portugal is a lovely country and this Camino remains one of our favorites.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you plan to walk the central route, (which by the way is very interesting except day one) I would recommend walking the coastal route to Vila do Conde and then crossing back to the central route and rejoining it just before Arcos. Easy to do and no back tracking involved.
I was going to suggest this exact same alternative. I took two shorter days and stayed overnight in Matosinhos.

The underground train system is excellent. I asked in the Tourist Office in front of Porto Cathedral and they suggested which line to take (nearest my accommodation) and where to get off. They spoke english. I just missed 10km of city walking and came out directly on the Caminho. It really was very easy indeed.
Thank you for this info -- that plan is now on the agenda!!

That is exactly what Jill and I will be doing come October 4.

We'll spend a couple of days touring around Porto, then head off to a day on the Litoral before crossing over to the Central route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for this info -- that plan is now on the agenda!!
This doesn't however avoid the extended period of walking on the shoulder of the very busy N 306 highway for the last third of day one on the central route which would be he main reason for considering walking the coastl route on day one out of Porto.

That is exactly what Jill and I will be doing come October 4.

We'll spend a couple of days touring around Porto, then head off to a day on the Litoral before crossing over to the Central route.
Sounds good to me. Now planning central Porto August 2021. Have checked out 3 sites for planning stages all with different distances to SdC up to 30 kms difference?

Sounds good to me. Now planning central Porto August 2021. Have checked out 3 sites for planning stages all with different distances to SdC up to 30 kms difference?

My suggestion. . accept that the CP route is the longest of the 3 you've explored. Just adopt that figure as the 'real' one. That way, if it turns out to be 30 km shorter, you have an extra day to explore Santiago :)

Seriously, focus on the stage mileage that you will do on a single day's basis, the Km's will take care of themselves :) That will let you adequately plan your day-to-day stopping points. Me. . I tend to decide where I will end the next day's leg, based on how I feel the night before. Yes, I do know what date I want to reach the final end point, like Santiago de Compostela, but everything in between is up for grabs :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
My suggestion. . accept that the CP route is the longest of the 3 you've explored. Just adopt that figure as the 'real' one. That way, if it turns out to be 30 km shorter, you have an extra day to explore Santiago :)
Also means I may have a day with no where to go?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked out of Porto in the pouring rain and it was miserable - and yes fairly industrial.
If I did it again I would spend an extra day in Porto (you must visit the Se Cathedral and the
Soares dos Reis National Art Museum in Porto.) Take a Taxi (18 km) out of Porto to Vilar do Pinheiro
and stay at the Santa Marinha Residential in small private room (35 Euros). One of the best meals I had in Portugal was at the little pink stucco wood-grill restaurant just a block away from the Hotel called Restaurante Delores. They have a traditional wood fire next to the vat of water used to reconstitute the salt cod just out the side door of the small intimate restaurant. Grilled Salt Cod was served with kale and potatoes - excellent olives!
Ancient Portuguese recipe for cod - very good meal. Chef Manuel was very friendly. Just an example for me as to why the Portuguese Route was flatter, the people friendlier, the food way better than my experience on the French Route the previous year. In Porto I stayed at the Poet's Inn which is directly on the Camino.

I walked out of Porto in the pouring rain and it was miserable - and yes fairly industrial.
If I did it again I would spend an extra day in Porto (you must visit the Se Cathedral and the
Soares dos Reis National Art Museum in Porto.) Take a Taxi (18 km) out of Porto to Vilar do Pinheiro
and stay at the Santa Marinha Residential in small private room (35 Euros). One of the best meals I had in Portugal was at the little pink stucco wood-grill restaurant just a block away from the Hotel called Restaurante Delores. They have a traditional wood fire next to the vat of water used to reconstitute the salt cod just out the side door of the small intimate restaurant. Grilled Salt Cod was served with kale and potatoes - excellent olives!
Ancient Portuguese recipe for cod - very good meal. Chef Manuel was very friendly. Just an example for me as to why the Portuguese Route was flatter, the people friendlier, the food way better than my experience on the French Route the previous year. In Porto I stayed at the Poet's Inn which is directly on the Camino.
Thanks for the info will check it out.

In 2015 I did the Camino Frances and loved it. I'll be doing the Porto to Santiago Central route in April this year. From many things I've read, it seems like the first few (10kms?) out of Porto are quite industrial. A few have mentioned taking a bus or ??? to avoid this. Any suggestions as to which village I could make my starting point and if you get a bus from the Porto bus station. Any other options or suggestions welcomed.
You can take the 500 bus from Porto to Matosinhos to bypass the traffic. The bus stop is close to the Cathedral. From there just follow the coast go over the bridge and back to the coast and follow to Vila do Conde. Now from that point chose the costa or central. I did the central had a wonderful time even though it rained everyday and expect rain in March. Points I’d recommend Casa Fernanda, Ponte de Lima (see Che’s Bar) the previous owner was a personal friend of Che, the muni albergue there is nice. The Nest albergue in Rubiaes, Valenca/Tui, the monastery in Hebron was an experience. All in all I would love to the Costa someday but I’ll never regret the central had a great time even with bad weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took the Metro from Trindade Station (close to Porto Lounge Hotel where I was staying) to Vila da Conde, which is about 30 kms north of Porto. This is a holiday resort and seafaring port, and there is a well preserved Roman aqueduct. The trip took about 45 minutes. I found the Atlantic coast very windy and unpleasant for walking at this point.

Here’s a 30 second video of what the first day walking out of Porto is like (traffic, small sidewalks) 😞. That being said, you COULD take a bus/taxi/train to avoid it….or revel in its awfulness and appreciate that you don’t have to walk it more than once!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me, the best option was to walk the Senda Litoral from the Cathedral along the Duoro River, then along the coast to Vila do Conde.
I did the same thing and it was very easy. I then turned inland to the central route as I wanted a more "Frances" feel with vineyards and rural villages after having just walked the Rota Vicentina Fisherman's Trail along the ocean cliffs south of Lisbon for over a week.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.