• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF first time in May/June 2016

NOLA Cajun

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, Via Francigena, C. Ingles, Finisterre/Muxia
I'm planning to do Camino Frances from St. Jean in May/June 2016. I'll leave as soon as my work allows, i.e. around May 10-12. I'm giving myself 40 days for everything including travel to and fro. I've been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to do it. This forum is a great source of info so thank you to all that contribute.
I'll be going solo. I'm in my early 50's, no stranger to hiking/backpacking/camping but the Camino will be by far the longest trip, timewise and lengthwise. I'll be posting some specific questions in the gear forum but if anybody has any advice, in particular for this time of year (roughly May 12-June 15) it will be appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nola,
So let's say you allow two days each end of the Camino to get to and from home, then two rest days say at Burgos and Leon on the way across, then a day in Santiago for a look around.
That's 5 days out of your 40, leaving 35 for the actual walking.
800ks divided by 35 means you'll be walking 23ks a day.
You happy you can manage that?

Whatever, that is the process I use to figure out my timetable.
Can't help with the weather as I'm an autumn Pilgrim but I hear it can be wet and muddy.
Buen Camino
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment. My timing is flexible and I will worry about it when I need to book my flight (to and from Paris). The only hard date will be the beginning. I want to go as early as I can but it looks like May 10 may be the earliest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I left Roncesvalles 1 May this year, arrived SdC 5 June, 36 days with an average of 20.8 km per day. Did not need a rest day, and had enough time to sightsee. Weather was unusually good with only 1 day of real rain. Oh, I am 70 and in reasonable shape for my age. If you have any specific questions about what gear I carried, or any thing else about my Camino I will be happy to give you my opinion, etc. Bueno Camino.

Buz, I posted my gear questions in the gear forum. Thanks for the info.

Departed Texas last April 28 of 2014 and started walking May 1. Arrived in Santiago on June 8. Weather was cool most of the trip, 40's-50's in the morning during May. It rained more than 25% of the time. Good boots/shoes, Altus Atmospheric Poncho, and a comfortable backpack are key. Last year, I had a 45 liter Gregory. This year, I've switched to a 30 liter Gregory pack for my Portugal trip. The Pilgrims with the most freedom are those without an "end date". Relax and enjoy the experience - no need to rush - it's not a race.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm planning to do Camino Frances from St. Jean in May/June 2016. I'll leave as soon as my work allows, i.e. around May 10-12. I'm giving myself 40 days for everything including travel to and fro. I've been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to do it. This forum is a great source of info so thank you to all that contribute.
I'll be going solo. I'm in my early 50's, no stranger to hiking/backpacking/camping but the Camino will be by far the longest trip, timewise and lengthwise. I'll be posting some specific questions in the gear forum but if anybody has any advice, in particular for this time of year (roughly May 12-June 15) it will be appreciated.
Hi Nola , I walked this year from the 18 of April for 37 day's and I had only 1,5 day's of rain .
So the weather was great .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.