• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checking my bag

gitileh

Hello,
Im going on my camino this sunday (starting from pamplona), and i read in a few places NOT to check your bagpack at the airport, but to take it with you to the passengers space, as long as it fits the meajure box. How can i do it if i have a- knife, little scissors, tube of blisters craem and so on in it... as they do not allow it on your personal bag? please help..
thank you, Hagit

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Hagit, welcome. I am also fairly new to the forums and I must admit I have not yet been on the camino- I'm planning to go in Spring 2012. Therefore I cannot base my advice on any experience. But I would suggest leaving the knife and little scissors behind and buying some when you get there. As for the creams, I believe the rule is you can take small amounts of 100ml (unless that amount has changed) if you carry them in a small transparent plastic sealable bag. you can check with the airline you are flighing with on their website perhaps. (I used to be an air stewardess)

Good luck and buen camino! :D

Anna

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think the whole check-in thing is a bit of a lottery. As you know, it's not just the weight but the size of the bag that matters. Sometimes they seem to care and sometimes not. I've tended to check mine in just to save hassle, but I'll be interested to hear what happens.

Drifting from the topic slightly, I flew back from Santiago via Barcelona to Leeds (UK). I didn't have access to a printer for my boarding pass when booking, so paid a little extra to get one at the airport. At Barcelona airport they tried to charge me another 35 Euros to do that. I said 'Hey, I've already paid!'. After much ado about nothing I was given my boarding pass with the comment 'We'll let you off this time', or similar. If they offer a service and take your money for it, they should be prepared to provide it! That was Jet2 and their agents. Enough said.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Hagit,

Scissors and knives won't be allowed in carry on baggage. In theory you can be fined for attempting to take them on board. So you will either have to check your bag or leave those items behind. The cream is acceptable in individual quantities of 100 ml or less.

Buen Camino
Mig

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back