• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Closing the Puerta Santa

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
I was wondering whether anyone has any news about the closing of the Holy Door on the 31st December. This won't be unbricked again until 2021 and the next Año Santo. I wish I could be there.
Will it be televised at all?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just arrived a couple of hours ago in Santiago.
There´s a huge sat-truck setup right outside the bishop´s palace, and all kinds of lights and cables being thrown about over at the Holy Door. It is hard to tell if it is part of the renovations program or they are putting up banners for an art exhibition or if they are the fireworks guys getting ready for the big boom-O-rama New Year´s Eve. Methinks the sat truck is there to broadcast at least for TV Galicia what´s going on... bricking up that little door seems the least of the attractions.

Reb.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
CRTVG has been broadcasting the mass from the cathedral today, so I suspect that they will be at the Puerta when it is closed. I must say, the camera work by the TV cameramen was worthy of a Best Cinematography award. I don't know if the director or the individual camera operators get the credit, but during "slow" parts of the broadcast, the cameras visited the tomb, the St. James statue front and back, and almost every facet of the capitals, stone work, and architecture. Incredible and inspiring!

Reb's words are worth a thousand pictures! Feliz Año Nuevo ....everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum