• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Semana Santa 2024

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spoiler alert: it’s the same every year and has been for decades, also in Madrid, Malaga, Sevilla and so on.

The processional routes and timings are always the same - to the degree that in bigger cities the platforms (tronos) on which statues and effigies are carried are made so as to ‘just’ be able to fit the narrow streets and corners of their specific traditional route.

Semana Santa in Spain really is to be experienced.

I believe the processions aren't as impressive in the north as they are in the south. Also in the north they are more solemn whereas in the south they have more of a fiesta vibe.

I'm sure they're still impressive in Santiago.

I was surprised to hear an effigy of Judas Iscariot is burned on holy Saturday in some traditions.

In Ireland, the most we have is religious sermons (including lighting the pascal candle from a fire), followed by the secular tradition of easter eggs on Sunday.

I was in Bolivia at Easter time previously and classes of school children did most of the processions through the streets.

I saw a procession in Salamanca today of Our Lady of sorrows with the 7 swords piercing her heart. Carried by about 20 people. I'll be here for palm sunday but not sure where I'll spend Easter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Semana Santa.
Part of a bygone age. Still very much alive in Spain, and I imagine, other European countries. The colour, the mystery, the drama... the call to former beliefs. I was seriously involved in Semana Santa in Bilbao 24 years ago. Totally absorbing. Connecting back centuries...
So different from my Scottish background. We (sic) don't do Mediterranean display, we're cold and Northern. 😈
I loved the pageantry, and still do,when I see it. The capilote, recently explained by @SabsP, gives me the jitters.
There is really nothing new under the sun, but the point here is this: for current pilgrims: catch what you can. If it makes you ask questions, look for the answers. And make the most of it.

Our present realities have little time for pageantry!
I just liked the idea of introducing (sic). 😇

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back