• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal and Litoral trail condition questions

Kmvreter

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
We had the wonderful experience of walking the Camino Frances last year and are thinking of doing the Portugues Coastal from Porto.

We have researched and have a good idea about the route and elevation changes. However, we have only found spotty references to the actual trail conditions under foot such as pavement, boardwalks, cobblestones, etc...

What are the conditions and, if possible, can you relate any rough spots to locations on the CF? For example, is there anything comparable to the terrain coming down from Alto del Perdon into Uterga?

Ideally this includes the Senda Litoral because we would like to stay as close to the coast as possible. Does this involve any walking on sand and if so are there paths or boardwalks around those areas? Or would this involve avoiding the SL?

Also, are there plenty of places to stop for coffee or breaks as there were on the CF or is it more selective or sparse?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nothing comparable to the tough spots on the CF that I can think of. The walk down from the cathedral to the path beside the River Miño in Porto is steep, but it’s all on streets and steps and that’s as difficult as it gets. Lovely walk along the river to the mouth and that exciting view of the river entering the sea. Then turn right and head up the coast.
I followed the Senda Literal on my first walk from Porto and it is along sidewalks and for kilometers is on timber boardwalks - lovely and bouncy underfoot! In spots the sand has crept over the timber but nothing difficult. I don’t recall having to wade through soft sand at all. Be wary of losing the rubber stoppers of your poles - they can get caught in the gaps between the boards (I lost two). And yes, plenty of places to stop for coffee or refreshments.

Parts of the central have cobblestones - as tough on feet as they are picturesque. I only recall pavement and boardwalk on the portion of the coastal that I hiked.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
We had the wonderful experience of walking the Camino Frances last year and are thinking of doing the Portugues Coastal from Porto.

We have researched and have a good idea about the route and elevation changes. However, we have only found spotty references to the actual trail conditions under foot such as pavement, boardwalks, cobblestones, etc...

What are the conditions and, if possible, can you relate any rough spots to locations on the CF? For example, is there anything comparable to the terrain coming down from Alto del Perdon into Uterga?

Ideally this includes the Senda Litoral because we would like to stay as close to the coast as possible. Does this involve any walking on sand and if so are there paths or boardwalks around those areas? Or would this involve avoiding the SL?

Also, are there plenty of places to stop for coffee or breaks as there were on the CF or is it more selective or sparse?

Thanks in advance for your help.
None of the Camino Portugues has mountains to compare to those you likely experienced on the Frances (unless you started in Sarria). The Senda Litoral has beaches and boardwalks which don't figure at all into my memory of the Frances. The Coastal may have some of that, too (but I haven't walked the Coastal). The Central has a lot of walking through farmlands, which should be familiar from the Frances. There is nothing like the descent from Alto de Perdon. There is one steepish and rocky climb (a little like the descent to Molinaseca, but up instead of down), but that is only a part of one day. There is a fair amount of cobblestones in Portugal, which some find the most difficult part, terrain wise. There are plenty of places to stop. Not as many as some sections (especially past Sarria) but certainly a lot more than some other sections of the Frances.

Parts of the central have cobblestones - as tough on feet as they are picturesque. I only recall pavement and boardwalk on the portion of the coastal that I hiked.
I also found a lot of cobblestones when I accidentally strayed from the Senda Litoral to the Coastal before Vila do Conde.

If you are starting in Porto, then I agree with what everyone else has said. We started biking in Coimbra - the routes are the same up until Porto. There are a few rough spots after Coimbra, especially on the stage(s) before Porto. Not mountainous by any means, but there are some good hills and some rough terrain whether walking or biking. Doable, for sure, but not like the Senda Litoral or Coastal after Porto.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 13
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to all for your helpful insights. We would like to do the whole CP but only have enough time to start in Porto.

We have also viewed some YouTube videos to get a sense of the conditions.

Let the planning continue!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back