• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain possibly abating.... Coastal/Litoral walk starting in late November?

fb1

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2019, 2020, 2023
It looks like weather may be clearing up in Northern Portugal and Spain after weeks of daily rain. I am considering walking the Coastal/Litoral route from Porto to Santiago starting next week. A few questions come to mind and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Can I expect to encounter many pilgrims along the route? I don’t mind walking alone but it’s always nice to meet pilgrims in towns and albergues.

Given off-season, can I generally expect to find open albergues or would I likely have to book private accommodations? I see some closed albergues on Gronze (e.g. Vila Cha, Labruge) and am hoping that Gronze is mostly up-to-date.

Any ideas on what trail conditions can I expect, particularly due to the significant rain recently, i.e. mud, flooded trails, washed out boardwalks, sand, etc?

I am wondering if it be better to take official coastal route or the Litoral route, as far as conditions are concerned. I expect to walk a bit of both depending on conditions, weather, scenery, etc. Any particular places where one route would be preferred over the other? For example, from Porto to Vila do Conde, the Litoral seems to be universally preferred (I agree and have walked that route in the past before switching to the Central route).

Coastal/Litoral route divergences:
Porto to Vila do Conde
Povoa de Varzim to Fao
Esposende to Viana do Castelo
Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora
A Ramallosa to Vigo

Thanks for any input.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It looks like weather may be clearing up in Northern Portugal and Spain after weeks of daily rain. I am considering walking the Coastal/Litoral route from Porto to Santiago starting next week. A few questions come to mind and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Can I expect to encounter many pilgrims along the route? I don’t mind walking alone but it’s always nice to meet pilgrims in towns and albergues.

Given off-season, can I generally expect to find open albergues or would I likely have to book private accommodations? I see some closed albergues on Gronze (e.g. Vila Cha, Labruge) and am hoping that Gronze is mostly up-to-date.

Any ideas on what trail conditions can I expect, particularly due to the significant rain recently, i.e. mud, flooded trails, washed out boardwalks, sand, etc?

I am wondering if it be better to take official coastal route or the Litoral route, as far as conditions are concerned. I expect to walk a bit of both depending on conditions, weather, scenery, etc. Any particular places where one route would be preferred over the other? For example, from Porto to Vila do Conde, the Litoral seems to be universally preferred (I agree and have walked that route in the past before switching to the Central route).

Porto to Vila do Conde
Povoa de Varzim to Fao
A Ramallosa to Vigo

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_9692.mov
    26.8 MB

Porto to Vila do Conde
Povoa de Varzim to Fao
A Ramallosa to Vigo

Thanks for any input.
When it rains like this the pathways turn to streams, the roadways rivers and the farm fields ponds. This was late October and fortunately I was inside for this deluge. And fortunately, or unfortunately, I walked many times is such rain. Mud? It really didn’t matter because I couldn’t get wetter. Still happy I did it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
also very happy to have walked my first Portuguese Camino on mainly the Coastal route, with a few jinks onto the Littoral route in northern Portugal. Never seen so much rain and wind, and I live in Seattle. But very temperate, serene, and, of course, we fellow pilgrims made it ruefully fun and holy. Will be doing it again next Fall, probably a couple weeks earlier to maybe dodge some of the big Atlantic coastal storms, however magificent they were. I'd like a few more days of dry shoes, please!

I walked Porto to SdC early December last year, first 2 days along the coast then crossed over to central. Saw a pilgrim or 2 each day, more after last 100kms. Later I met some who did Coastal, seemed slightly quieter than the central from what I could tell but the feedback on coastal is there was always somewhere open to stay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back