Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cocido Maragata

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

fortview

Jun 18, 2012
Gloucestershire UK
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
We had this in a bar in Murias de Rechivaldo. For erstwhile vegetarians it was quite a challenge ! Amongst the ingredients are : a pigs ear, a sliver of pigs snout, trotters, and goats blood sausage :shock:
It had to be tried though.....

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Oct 26, 2008
Quebec, Canada
?
falcon269 said:
...Delicious!

Different strokes, different folks.

I shared one of those in Rabanal with a Brasilian peregrina (the others wouldn't touch it) six years ago. To this day we still talk about it as the worst meal we've ever experienced and believe me I am not normally fussy.

But as Fortview said: ''it has to be tried''.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
D

Deleted member 3000

the worst meal we've ever experienced
Would you better describe it as the meal you liked the least? It was likely to be the best Cocido Maragata around, but did not appeal to your tastes. I have traveled with a number of pilgrims who could not stand the pulpo, yet others dream about Melide for days in advance. I am not sure that cuisine that does not appeal to one's taste makes it the "worst." The "worst" is that salmonella-tainted chicken I got at a fast food chain! :wink:

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Oct 26, 2008
Quebec, Canada
?
Falcon,

I didn't say ''the worst''. I said ''the worst I have experienced''.
It's relative to my taste and appreciation of the meal. I didn't speak for others and I have no intention to do so.
I didn't like it the least, I didn't like it at all.
But if you prefer, I didn't find it palatable.
Cheeers,
Jean-Marc

backpack45

Aug 10, 2012
Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com
VezelayPrimitivoNorteGenevaLePuyArlesPortoFrancés
I probably wouldn't go out of my way to have the Cocido Maragata again because it is a heavy meal, I am very glad that I tried it the one time. Try it for the experience (except for vegetarians who wouldn't find much they could eat). Since the servings are enormous--after all it was originally prepared for those who performed hard physical labor day in and day out--pick and choose the meats you like. When we had the meal, we had many things beside the meat dish including garbanzo beans, fresh tomatoes, soup, and desert.
Susan "backpack45" Alcorn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

pablo.m

Sep 6, 2011
Aotearoa
Frances (09-10.12) Portuguese(05-06.13) Norte (05-06.15)
cocido maragata in astorga...a meal to remember
my friend manoleitor, it was his last day & he was on a bus back home to madrid that night.
he insisted we eat cocido maragata that day. that meant no breakfast, no churros with our morning coffee, no anything. there would be enough food, he said. he was right.
i loved it!
he is a typical spaniard, carnivore extreme. didnt mind at all that he got the whole snout haha, & most of the ears, tho i did have a go. as for the rest - braised chic peas & potatoes with a meat feast on top - sensational!
tho it must be said, not used to eating that volume of meat was something that took a good two days to recover from...

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides