• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Compostela and a multi year Via de la Plata

John Sikora

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
If I walk the Via de la Plata over a two or maybe three year period, how does the pilgrim office handle that? As in other camino's does only the last 100 K really count and the rest is just for documentation.

And as a secondary question, does the certificate of mileage apply only to that which was walked in the last Camino or does it apply to the cumulative mileage over the two/three year period?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can walk over several years if you wish - many people do and receive a Compostela at the end. As far as qualifying for a Compostela is concerned only the final 100km is actually required and even that need not be walked in one continuous journey. Perhaps @t2andreo can advise on what the distance certificate would say in your case?

I walked the Via de la Plata in three parts in 2008-2010. In the pilgrims office we showed our credencial documenting our pilgrimage from the beginning in Sevilla and obtained our compostela. But they noticed that we had walked the whole way and thus in mass we were introduced as 3 german pilgrims arriving from Sevilla. So I expect, that the certificate of distance will refer to your original start but count all days since then (inclusive the interruptions).

BC
Alexandra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum