• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Costal Route

Petr Rade

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Porto April/ May 2015
Hello,
I'm planning Camino Portugeese, starting in Porto. Have 11 days to reach Santiago and would appreciate any suggestion for best coastal route?
Thank you for any answer

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,
I'm planning Camino Portugeese, starting in Porto. Have 11 days to reach Santiago and would appreciate any suggestion for best coastal route?
Thank you for any answer
Welcome on the forum.
Follow the river Douro out of Porto to keep it at your left, northwards.
As soon as you arrive at the ocean ,keep it at the left all the time as far as Vigo and head from there to Redondela on the central route and follow the yellow waymarkers all away to Santiago. Easy as that . .
11 days is doable but you have to figure out where you should stay every night
On this forum you'll find lots of info about this matter.read back for a while.
Bom caminho

Do you really want the whole (quiet) coastal route? Or just a little bit and than continue on the central route earlier on than Albertinho suggests? Compared to the central route, where most pilgrims walk, the whole coastal route is a very solitary walk.

When are you walking?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do you really want the whole (quiet) coastal route? Or just a little bit and than continue on the central route earlier on than Albertinho suggests? Compared to the central route, where most pilgrims walk, the whole coastal route is a very solitary walk.

When are you walking?
Indeed what Dutch writes
First opportunity to leave the coastal from Porto is in Vila do Conde direction São Pedro de Rates to connect to the central route.

In Caminha is the second opportunity to reach Valença do Minho for the central route and the third one is walk on as suggested to Vigo and hit the central at Redondela.

On the central route you will meet more other pilgrims, all heading for Santiago.
A lot of them start in Valença or Tui for about the last 100 kms to obtain a Compostela certificate.

When are you walking?

Hello Dutch,
Thanks for the quick reply!! I'm more than fine to do the coastal bit in solitude, kind of what I need at the moment..
I went through the maps a lot and joining the central one after Redondela seems to suit me the best.
At the end I can change it on the way as have plenty of time.
I'm going this Friday though..
Thank you once again..

Indeed what Dutch writes
First opportunity to leave the coastal from Porto is in Vila do Conde direction São Pedro de Rates to connect to the central route.

In Caminha is the second opportunity to reach Valença do Minho for the central route and the third one is walk on as suggested to Vigo and hit the central at Redondela.

On the central route you will meet more other pilgrims, all heading for Santiago.
A lot of them start in Valença or Tui for about the last 100 kms to obtain a Compostela certificate.

Hello Albertino,
Thank you very much for the detailed options, loads of help..
I will connect from coast after Redondela then..
Thank you!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

When are you walking?
This is a good point.... Now I'm doubting the Coastal route...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hahhaha @Albertinho , your really trying to sell it :)

@Utgaard great pic.
I Loved the wonderfull views from Valenca to Tui and back. Fantastic way of crossing borders.

Hahhaha @Albertinho , your really trying to sell it :)

@Utgaard great pic.
I Loved the wonderfull views from Valenca to Tui and back. Fantastic way of crossing borders.
It was not that bad. :) Every 10 km or so you pass a beautiful village or small town. You are not allways walking close to the seaside. Sometimes you even do not see it.
I agree it is more quiet and you do not meet a lot of other peregrino's but that did not bother us.we had hilarious meetings with local people.
image.jpg
A man on a bike just before Caminha who approached us for a special stamp on the credential .Than he asked. Do you take the ferry between Caminha and A Guarda ? Yes.." It does not sail" he said while we were expecting it was. But my friend Mario has a fisherman's boat and he sails you to the other side of the river ..5€ per person...he had the solution .
We did not trust it on first sight but after some research the ferryboat was not sailing indeed so we used Mario's services and had a good laugh about it after all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It must feel like smuggling cigarettes between Portugal and Spain! Indeed, it seems to be quite easy to find somebody willing to help you cross the river (with some money involved, fair enough!)

I have to follow that way one day, Portugal is a special place

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back