• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Couple of things on the Rocamadour variant

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Podiensis, Olvidado, Invierno
First, I walked from Figeac to Thémines on 20 August and turned out to be longer than I expected, 35 km. The gîte owner in Thémines said the GR6 was re-routed in the last year to reduce road walking, which added 4 km. Quite a bit of climbing on that route.

Second, I walked to Rocamadour today, 21 August. The section through the series of abandoned mills was fascinating and several degrees cooler down in the gorge. I’m taking a rest day here, then walking Wednesday to Labastide, starting very early to get ahead of the heat. For clarity, is the route back down the hill from Rocamadour, reversing the way I came up, and switching from GR6 to GR46? I want to make sure I get that right. In this heat, I want to avoid mistakes.

One more thing … the guest rooms at Le Terminus Hôtel des Pèlerins à Rocamadour are blissfully air conditioned. The gîtes have been great, but quite warm.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you for this 'on the ground' intel, Brian. We've walked the Cele Valley variant, but not the Rocamadour.

Take care out there - still very hot. With more to come.

First, I walked from Figeac to Thémines on 20 August and turned out to be longer than I expected, 35 km. The gîte owner in Thémines said the GR6 was re-routed in the last year to reduce road walking, which added 4 km. Quite a bit of climbing on that route.

Second, I walked to Rocamadour today, 21 August. The section through the series of abandoned mills was fascinating and several degrees cooler down in the gorge. I’m taking a rest day here, then walking Wednesday to Labastide, starting very early to get ahead of the heat. For clarity, is the route back down the hill from Rocamadour, reversing the way I came up, and switching from GR6 to GR46? I want to make sure I get that right. In this heat, I want to avoid mistakes.

One more thing … the guest rooms at Le Terminus Hôtel des Pèlerins à Rocamadour are blissfully air conditioned. The gîtes have been great, but quite warm.
BOnjour
Here is a link to the interactive geoporteil map of Rocamadour with all the GR trails arriving at and departing from the sanctuary marked in pink.

Cheers
Lovingkindness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

G’Day Brian, the path out of Rocamadour is not exactly «back down the hill from Rocamadour reversing the way you came up» ... to head in the direction of Couzou and Labastide-Murat you continue on down through the village, turn left out of the Hôtel des Pèlerins ... follow the red-and-white balises to the bottom of the village, cross the Alzou and then a very steep climb up the other side, some of it shaded; there is a nasty little road crossing after about 3 or 4km ... take care with your footing at this point. At Couzou you should find a refreshment stop hosted by the gîte owner, Franck and his partner Maryline and their dog Charlie. I walked the Voie de Rocamadour a few weeks ago. Ping me if you need further info.

G’Day Brian, the path out of Rocamadour is not exactly «back down the hill from Rocamadour reversing the way you came up» ... to head in the direction of Couzou and Labastide-Murat you continue on down through the village, turn left out of the Hôtel des Pèlerins ... follow the red-and-white balises to the bottom of the village, cross the Alzou and then a very steep climb up the other side, some of it shaded; there is a nasty little road crossing after about 3 or 4km ... take care with your footing at this point. At Couzou you should find a refreshment stop hosted by the gîte owner, Franck and his partner Maryline and their dog Charlie. I walked the Voie de Rocamadour a few weeks ago. Ping me if you need further info.
Thanks, walked it today with no problems. Left Rocamadour at 6:00 am to get ahead of the heat, so I needed my headlamp for about an hour. Arrived Labastide-Murat at 11:20 am.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back