• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cyclist danger on road to El Acebo

Older Guy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis -May 2016 by bike---Loved it
....Last year while on the steep descent from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca, a Polish pilgrim in his 60's cycling the Camino went off the road on his bike near El Acebo and was killed....

Since I will bicycling this, I was wondering about the details. Higginson warns that El Acebo with its cobblestones and gutter in the center of the road is deadly. However, carefully reading your post, it sort of sounds like he may have been taking the road (not the trail) down from Cruz de Ferro and not been able to control his speed or bike. Any further details would be appreciated.

Yes, the loss of any life is a sadness.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The accident happened shortly before El Acebo on the tarmac road. From Cruz de Ferro the walking route is a downhill path which is steep and rocky in places. Some pilgrims walk down the road instead, which is the cycling route. It is a steep downhill ride with lots of curves and big drop-offs. The photo below was taken from the walking path and shows a typical section of the road between Cruz de Ferro and El Acebo.

Heinrich Krause, a 26 year old German pilgrim, died in August 1987 when he came off his bike on the same section. Two deaths in thirty years. Still, it is obviously a section in which cyclists should take care.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you both so much for the warning. It is interesting that Higginson in his guide has many warning of dangerous sections due to traffic, road conditions, etc. But in Stage 22 of his guide he warns that "the decent through El Acebo has claimed cyclists lives, so take great care." Then for the village of El Acebo he states, "El Acebo's main road runs through its centre, although the road is not smooth tarmac, but concrete and slippery cobbles with a gutter running down the centre. On bicycles this is a potential death trap and extreme care should be take, even in dry weather. If it is raining, get off and walk through the village --cyclists have died here."

In looking at the photo, I can see where if either wet or too much speed, that a person could loose control on a corner. Also rims do tend to heat up on long descents and you need to stop to let them cool so you can maintain good braking. On my long bike rides I tend to avoid going too fast on descents, as I would not like to get into an accident. In my youth, I have lost control of a motorcycle on slick roads and at corners from going too fast for the limited traction that two thin wheels provides.

Again, I appreciate the warning. Thank you.

Here is a photo of the road through El Acebo. You can see where the tarmac changes to the cobbles and central gutter. I have seen lots of cyclists using it in the past two years, but on both occasions the weather was good so not a hazard.

Most read last week in this forum