• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Descent from Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo

Cfran_sg

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2022)
Hi everyone, I’ve read that the descent from Cruze de Ferro into El Acebo can be rather challenging, especially after Manjarin. Is it safe to take the road from Manjarin onwards instead? And do I follow the road all the way into El Acebo, or should I get back on to the Camino trail at some point when the trails is not as bad any more? Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone, I’ve read that the descent from Cruze de Ferro into El Acebo can be rather challenging, especially after Manjarin. Is it safe to take the road from Manjarin onwards instead? And do I follow the road all the way into El Acebo, or should I get back on to the Camino trail at some point when the trails is not as bad any more? Thanks!
Yes for ease descending you can follow the road after Manjarin. Walk on the left side verges facing traffic all the way into El Acebo. After El Acebo I always continued to follow the road to Molinaseco where I rejoined the camino.
For other recent posts see this thread Descent into Molinaseca

Good luck and Buen camino.

Last edited:
As tough as it is - Part Dos (El Acebo to Molinaseca) is REALLY something.
To compound my woes somewhere in that middle of THAT I decided that this was a good time to change from hiking boots to sandals... :eek::oops::rolleyes:
If you do take the road be very mindful of the traffic! Like @mspath suggested - walk on the side opposite so you can always see the car (or rather any vehicle) that is coming towards you. And this is hardly the time to listen to your Spotify via Air Buds ;)
So if you are hell-bent on sticking to the road - might as well take it all the way down... but where is 'adventure' in that?! 😏😇

Whatever you decide Good Luck and Buen Camino

P.S. Given the fact that one just hiked up to Cruz de Ferro and probably is slightly worn for the effort, ... when I stopped for a nice cold Kas Lemon at Monjarin the lady at the truck said - No worries it is ALL DOWNHILL from here....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I finished that walk a few hours ago. Yes the descent a steep and rocky. You have to watch your feet placement and use your poles. But it’s an extraordinary path all the way from Cruze de Ferro. It’s a taxing day if you’re not prepared. But you’re fully prepared if you’ve been on the Camino for any length of time. It makes that swoop into Acebo that much more sweet.

I’ve just done that walk today also. It seems to go on for a long time. I preferred it to walking on the road as I’d had too much road walking before and after Leon.
It wasn’t too bad mostly but there were a couple of bits where more care was needed.

I’ve just done that walk today also. It seems to go on for a long time. I preferred it to walking on the road as I’d had too much road walking before and after Leon.
It wasn’t too bad mostly but there were a couple of bits where more care was needed.
i was 72 when I walked down from Cruz de Ferro and 75 when I reached Molinoseca. my Vocabulary also "expanded". But I'm glad did it. just be very careful and take your time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found the walk into Acebo to be more challenging than the walk into Molinseca mainly because there were a lot more loose rocks that made it easier to roll an ankle (I was wearing trekking sandals). Obv I made it but it just took me a little longer as I had to focus on each step a bit more carefully. The trail to Molinseca was a little bit less defined but I found it easier though I would not want to do it in the rain or winter.
With the pics, the one with a person (who was about 20 years older than me and ran past me mocking my speed lol) is going into Acebo. The other is down to Molinseca.
PXL_20220725_070628297.jpgPXL_20220724_104857083~2.jpg

I found the walk into Acebo to be more challenging than the walk into Molinseca mainly because there were a lot more loose rocks that made it easier to roll an ankle (I was wearing trekking sandals). Obv I made it but it just took me a little longer as I had to focus on each step a bit more carefully. The trail to Molinseca was a little bit less defined but I found it easier though I would not want to do it in the rain or winter.
With the pics, the one with a person (who was about 20 years older than me and ran past me mocking my speed lol) is going into Acebo. The other is down to Molinseca.
View attachment 146445View attachment 146446
We found the descent from the Cruz de Ferro to Acebo generally OK with care; a fair bit of loose small gravel.
We started the descent from Acebo in the dark with head lamps (good ones needed) and it required a great deal of care; very steep and rocky, although no loose gravel. It is safe enough, but with obvious care.
Not keen on the road due to traffic and the winding blind sections, although we met several people who did it.
Life returns to normal after Molineseca.
Buen Camino.

The 2022 Brierly edition says that there is a “new” path alongside the highway that avoids the treacherous, rocky descent into Molinaseca.

If that is true, there was no evidence of it. Neither I nor any of my peregrinos could see any sign of a cutoff or a path. Most of the road had almost no shoulder.

The old treacherous path was very clearly marked, though, and with patience we all made it down.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just finished walking this a couple of weeks ago and found it to be very stressful. Hours of watching each and every foot step, looking around to see how to get down from some of the boulder strewn path in a safe manner, and then smacking my head on an a tree that juts out into the path. Found out from several other people that they had smacked their head on that same tree. It hurt bad enough to bring tears and this being the 2nd day of ravines filled with rocks, it was almost too much for me. I wished I had walked the road all the way.

Thanks for all the responses. Looking at the feedback, I think my wife and I will take our chance on the road. We’ll be starting our Camino in a month’s time, so appreciate if anyone has had recent experience to share with taking the road on this stretch 🙏

I walked the road a few months ago as my walking partner had knee issues. I've also walked the rocky path several times.
I think my preference would be the path, walked slowly and with care. The road, while smooth, is still very steep. It's longer. But I also felt uncomfortable - although there wasn't a lot of traffic there was some and many of those corners are blind meaning that an approaching vehicle simply doesn't see a walker until the last minute. I felt a bit unsafe to be honest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Neither recent nor taken in autumn Mydiary/blog describes a 3 day 2009 storm spent snowbound sharing albergue warmth and camaraderie at Foncebadon before the Cruz.

I wish you and your wife easier weather than this 2009 storm.
Carpe diem and Buen camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for all the responses. Looking at the feedback, I think my wife and I will take our chance on the road. We’ll be starting our Camino in a month’s time, so appreciate if anyone has had recent experience to share with taking the road on this stretch 🙏
We took the road down last month because my husband had hurt his foot and didn't want to risk further damage doing the rocky descent. We found the road to be fine. If you stay alert, you can pretty much always see and hear the cars coming. There really wasn't that much traffic and we never felt unsafe. If there was an area that looked iffy, we would pay good attention to where we would be safest or could get off to the side. Best of luck to you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back