• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daylight Savings

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Down here in New Zealand this past weekend we just switched to Daylight Savings time. Curious about when my Camino will be in relation to when we switch back, I looked it up and discovered I leave on the morning it changes! I will be far too excited to want an extra hour in bed;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It changes in 2 weeks in NSW. It has been a thing since I was a child but I would like to see a year without it then it put it to a vote if we want it back or not.

Down here in New Zealand this past weekend we just switched to Daylight Savings time. Curious about when my Camino will be in relation to when we switch back, I looked it up and discovered I leave on the morning it changes! I will be far too excited to want an extra hour in bed;-)
G'Day Kiwi,
I think you are talking about the start and finish of DST in Europe?? If this is correct here is what I remember:
Summer time starts on the last Sunday in March and finishes on the last Sunday in October. Some countries might have small variances.
As for how this affects you well expect all international air travel times to be in " current local" (ie DST will apply). I do not know when SNECF (French Trains) change their timetables (winter to summer) but in Spain the change from Winter to Summer usually starts around the second Sunday in June. A little searching via Google should provide specific answers.
If I am way off base please come back with clarifications.
EU DST experts please correct any errors. Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Saint Mike II I wouldn't like to say you are way off base, but actually I was referring to New Zealand's DST. I hadn't even thought about what might be happening in Europe - doh! Thanks for the alert!
Thankfully I won't be using SNECF as I am heading directly to Almeria from Madrid.
The worst that would have happened for me if I had not taken notice is that I would have turned up at the airport an hour early!

@Saint Mike II I wouldn't like to say you are way off base, but actually I was referring to New Zealand's DST. I hadn't even thought about what might be happening in Europe - doh! Thanks for the alert!
Thankfully I won't be using SNECF as I am heading directly to Almeria from Madrid.
The worst that would have happened for me if I had not taken notice is that I would have turned up at the airport an hour early!
He meant SNCF

Oops!!! I thought that NZ DST dates were similar to ours in Oz - but apparently you have started a week or two early (ours starts this Sunday for those states that use Summer Time) as for when it finishes then maybe Google can help. For us its the first Sunday in April. For me personally it starts two weeks to early and goes on two weeks tooooo long!!. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your friend for time and date questions:

From a Kiwi here now, 3 weeks into the Camino Frances, all I can say is; err on the side of caution. Be early at your checkins! Those airlines don't wait. Incidently, I came via San Francisco, and nearly blew my trip by not having a US transit visa when checking in in Auckland. $US22, and CRITICAL TO HAVE. (I fortunately found out only a few days before leaving.)

Rachael, may I point out that the above conversation is a little confusing. When are you referring to as DST? In Spain (and most of Europe) DST starts the end of October, this year on the 29th. Down under is the opposite I think. Your clocks go forward on the 24th September I believe, whereas ours go back on the 29th October. So if you base your timekeeping on your time and turn up at the airport you will not be an hour early. Also given the anachronism of Spanish time (which is one hour later than its time zone) then who knows when you will turn up at the airport! I think I have confused myself!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rachael, may I point out that the above conversation is a little confusing. When are you referring to as DST? In Spain (and most of Europe) DST starts the end of October, this year on the 29th. Down under is the opposite I think. Your clocks go forward on the 24th September I believe, whereas ours go back on the 29th October. So if you base your timekeeping on your time and turn up at the airport you will not be an hour early. Also given the anachronism of Spanish time (which is one hour later than its time zone) then who knows when you will turn up at the airport! I think I have confused myself!!
Oh such confusion, I'm sorry. I was simply thinking about how we had just switched to DST here in NZ and I knew I was going for a camino in about six months so I wondered if we would still be in DST or if we would have switched back into winter time by the time I left...and it turned out I fly on the morning we switch (April 7). It was just a chit-chatty observation. There's not a chance of me getting to the airport late!!

I've got lazy since mobile phones and smartwatches automatically take care of time zones, and plane tickets show departure and arrivals in the local time.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back