• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December/January Camino

Daleen

Good afternoon from Knysna in South Africa
I have a few weeks vacation over December and January. What route is recommended during that time? I realise that it is winter then in the northern hemisphere. I am particularly keen on the Portuguese Route. Is that a good option?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey @Daleen I was about to type "Welcome to the Forum" but I see you have been around since 2014 :)

Winter in these parts is winter. As long as you are prepared for cold and wet - so layers of clothing and good waterproofs - you'll be fine on any of the Portugues routes. If you'd like a bit of warmth look at the southern routes

Hey @Daleen I was about to type "Welcome to the Forum" but I see you have been around since 2014 :)

Winter in these parts is winter. As long as you are prepared for cold and wet - so layers of clothing and good waterproofs - you'll be fine on any of the Portugues routes. If you'd like a bit of warmth look at the southern routes
Thank you so much for your reply. Had the Camino on my books for 2015, but life happened! But my heart is calling strongly again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have done the section from Porto to SdeC in January. It can get cold, it can be stormy and wet. There are a few threads in the Camino Portugues in relation to winter. This year definitely have a little extra in budget in case you need to stay in a pension/Hotel etc. There were very few on the coastal route after Vila do Conde but met a few more pilgrims on Central from Tui (I did an alternative connector up the river to Valenca). Just have a plan for accommodation for 25th December new Year and the 6th January as some places may be closed, so worth ringing ahead to check or email in advance

Good afternoon from Knysna in South Africa
I have a few weeks vacation over December and January. What route is recommended during that time? I realise that it is winter then in the northern hemisphere. I am particularly keen on the Portuguese Route. Is that a good option?
Hi Daleen, both the Portuguese and the Frances are good options in December / January.

The Portuguese was my first camino (but not in winter), and I enjoyed it very much, but I would recommend the Frances for a first camino, as it has more of a camino “vibe”.

Lots of others walking the Frances in winter, whereas there won’t be half so many on the Portuguese, so it may be a little bit lonely.

Have you booked your flights already? I ask because December flights are really expensive from South Africa, being the main school summer holidays here (I live in Sabie). I guess that’s when you’ve got leave, so you have no choice?

I’m leaving 19 January when flights get cheaper; have paid R6500 for return flights from Jo’burg to Spain on Lufthansa.

Buen camino! Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back