• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

January weather & albergues - Santiago to Bilbao

dnickel135

Time of past OR future Camino
Jan 2024
January hiker here. Hi, I"m Dan. I'm starting from SAntiago area on Jan. 3 & 2 weeks hiking east. Prefer the coastal strongly, as much as I can. Do most hikers go west to east? That seems to be the case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most go east to west, towards Santiago since Santiago de Compostela is the pilgrimage destination.
There are rare pilgrims walking east, and some do a round trip to and from Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm hiking first 2 weeks in January 2024 in the area/coastal routes between Santiago to Bilbao. Somewhere in that region, hugging the coast. Can anyone give feedback on these - I"d be very grateful:

1- I"m ok with some rain, and cooler, but how rainy does it get, how many days a week, and hours per day? I've heard it's mostly a spray/light rain for 1-2 hours at a time or occasional thru out day. I've heard it is very uncommon for there to be heavy downpours for hours at a time, or all day heavy rain. Is this correct?

2 - What % of the albergues are open for biz / travelers in January? Roughly half or what %? I know there maybe some nights... I have to tent it... I can do, and have tent/sleep gear.

3- how cold? I' m experienced backpacker, and will stay in tents some nights. Research says 30/35 degrees fahrenheit.... at night/morning. I"m ok with that. OK to reply in CELSIUS on this!! Below 25 F most nights...that is too much for me.

CHEERS AND I'M SO GRATEFUL for any information on these. I"m still also doing my own research.
dan

[Moderator has merged 3 threads to simplify discussion of the related topics]

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all pilgrims walk westwards - towards Santiago. Very few walk east away from Santiago though a small number do make the journey in both directions. As @trecile has just pointed out :)
Whenever I encounter a person walking backwards I think to myself, "that is weird"... and usually they are too. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How many hikers might I see in a day, and how many persons in the albergues at night? I prefer to be on areas where there are more poeple, not less. I"m an experienced backpacker, and done lonely treks, prefer more social/people this time. This is not due to safety concerns... I'm fine on that.

On one podcast, the Aussie surfer said she could hike a whole day on the el norte (the mount areas?) and not see 1 person.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@dnickel135 ,
You realize that hiking east you will have several days before you encounter a coast? Should be enough infrastructure to find lodging and maybe we'll see you if you are on the Camino Frances. My university group is leaving Sarria on December 31.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How many hikers might I see in a day, and how many persons in the albergues at night?
Very few. I walked the Camino Frances in January this year. At times there were up to 15 pilgrims in albergues but there were other days when I saw only one or two and spent the night alone in albergues. The Norte is a far less popular route - especially in winter. I think you can expect to have days when you meet no other pilgrims. If social contact with other pilgrims is important to you then perhaps another route and time would be better.

Do most hikers go west to east? That seems to be the case.
No. Most go east to west, which is the whole traditional idea of the Camino as a pilgrimage TO Santiago. That doesn't mean that you are not welcome to walk anywhere you want. It is just a reminder of the culture and tradition behind this wonderful walk and/or pilgrimage. Understanding the history makes it more interesting, and it also helps us respect the many people who work to keep the traditions alive so that we can enjoy them.

Buen Camino! (You will need to get used to that greeting!)

[Edited to correct direction!]

Last edited:
Very few. I walked the Camino Frances in January this year. At times there were up to 15 pilgrims in albergues but there were other days when I saw only one or two and spent the night alone in albergues. The Norte is a far less popular route - especially in winter. I think you can expect to have days when you meet no other pilgrims. If social contact with other pilgrims is important to you then perhaps another route and time would be better.
thanks. what other route would you suggest? frances.... what part is the warmest? I suppose there's snow in the mountains? in jan. thanks agian.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thanks. what other route would you suggest? frances.... what part is the warmest? I suppose there's snow in the mountains? in jan. thanks agian.
If you want company along the way then either the Frances or the Portugues. There may be snow on the higher areas such as O Cebreiro. The Portugues has no mountain sections - only modest hills - and being closer to the coast it is less likely to be snow-covered.

Check out some maps that show Camino routes - the Gronze website is a good source. If you want coast, start in Porto or Muxia. Neither is east or west of Santiago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think you need to do quite a lot of background reading. Santiago is a way inland. Galicia is one of, if not the wettest regions in Europe. Wild camping is not legal in Spain. There are lots of websites you can check out, and general websites telling about the Camino and what is. For all kinds of reasons, a lot of people will tell you it isn’t technically a hike.

Hi Dan, Welcome to the forum!

You might want to read this thread about hikers vs. walkers. If you are walking backwards and just generally "hiking" in the area of the Camino, it is a bit different from what many forum members do. However, the weather will be the same in either case - prepare for rain of all types, including heavy all day stuff!:(

What % of the albergues are open for biz / travelers in January?
There isn't a lot of business for commercial lodgings in January. What type of accommodation are you looking for? Pilgrim albergues may be open, but they might require that you show a credential to demonstrate that you are on a pilgrimage to Santiago. There are many ideas about what makes a pilgrim or pilgrimage, and we will avoid debating them on the forum, but the various albergues make their own policies.

How many hikers might I see in a day, and how many persons in the albergues at night? I prefer to be on areas where there are more poeple, not less. I"m an experienced backpacker, and done lonely treks, prefer more social/people this time. This is not due to safety concerns... I'm fine on that.

On one podcast, the Aussie surfer said she could hike a whole day on the el norte (the mount areas?) and not see 1 person.
Cheers.
In general, there aren't that many people in the winter (Jan) and most of them are on the routes with more pilgrim infrastructure (Frances and Portugues). I'm not sure how much infrastructure will be open in January. I've heard that in the summer the Camino can be crowded with beachgoers and these can compete for places in the accommodations. That competition may not be a thing in January, but by the same token a lot of places may be closed in the "off season".

Compounding the fewer people due to low season will be the fact that you seem to be planning on walking away from Santiago de Compostela instead of towards it, and all other pilgrims you meet are likely to be walking in the opposite direction. That means that instead of meeting the same people day after day and forming personal connections, you are likely to meet them for a few minutes only (on the road) or one night only (in accommodations).

On the other hand, swimming against the current, as it were, you will meet more people in total although very briefly for each, as you interact each day with new people rather than walking more or less with the same group.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check out some maps that show Camino routes - the Gronze website is a good source. If you want coast, start in Porto or Muxia. Neither is east or west of Santiago.
I always thought of Muxia as notably west of Santiago and walking to Santiago as walking east, inland from there (unless you go via Finisterre, in which case it is south (and smidge west) to Finisterre and then east to Cee before turning inland and continuing east to Santiago).

HI all, per moderator suggestion, I am reposting some data here, as it will not be deleted.

Just background info, in case anyone else wants to team up/walk along on the coastal route in asturias in early Jan.

I"m Starting Jan. 3 from Laredo westward thru Llanes, aim for Ribadeo, albeit I won't get that far in 2 weeks.

Quite unlikely, but I would enjoy campanions if you are in that area Jan. 2-17. I would even reconsider my route. I have done several backpacks in past year - all solo. it's hard to get friends to do this 2 weeks.

I need to go *somewhere* in January for outdoor hiking, and el norte fits the bill. Altho other seasons /summer are more ideal. I'm in a season of life where I am traveling somewhere to backpack every 2-3 months, over the past 2 years. Very fortunate to have this season in life to travel frequently. I"m a very seasoned backpacker, roughed it, and can do cold weather and moderate / occasional rain. Cheer.

In general, there aren't that many people in the winter (Jan) and most of them are on the routes with more pilgrim infrastructure (Frances and Portugues). I'm not sure how much infrastructure will be open in January. I've heard that in the summer the Camino can be crowded with beachgoers and these can compete for places in the accommodations. That competition may not be a thing in January, but by the same token a lot of places may be closed in the "off season".

Compounding the fewer people due to low season will be the fact that you seem to be planning on walking away from Santiago de Compostela instead of towards it, and all other pilgrims you meet are likely to be walking in the opposite direction. That means that instead of meeting the same people day after day and forming personal connections, you are likely to meet them for a few minutes only (on the road) or one night only (in accommodations).

On the other hand, swimming against the current, as it were, you will meet more people in total although very briefly for each, as you interact each day with new people rather than walking more or less with the same group.
thanks all for your feedback including the smart elics. I'm going with the flow, east to west. in part a spiritual pilgrimage. calling up various alb's to find out if they're open. laredo to Rebadeo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.