• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

COVID December on the Via de la Plata

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, others, hospitalero, resumed VdlP 2022
I'm hoping to squeeze in a week in the Via de la Plata before Christmas, from Fuente de Cantos (where I'd got to just as the first lockdown began) northwards. Is anyone else planning to be on the Vdlp in December or have experience of what it's like in December?
Best
Peter

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can't answer your specific questions, but I can tell you that merida is a beautiful city when you get there.

Cold and lonely.
You'll meet very few fellow pilgrims, and encounter freezing temperatures after dark.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You might get better (or at least more) answers if you posted this in the Via de la Plata forum. This is the Forum about businesses on the Via de la Plata that are suffering due to Covid loss of business and could use some help. Related, but not quite the same.

Hi Peter,

Cold and lonely.
You'll meet very few fellow pilgrims, and encounter freezing temperatures after dark.

I walked from Fuente de Cantos to Zafra today and started the VdlP on December 3rd. What @Xali1970 says roughly echoes my experience.

While I've yet to meet another pilgrim, the weather has been good so far. Mornings and evenings are chilly (lowest temps so far about 3-4 degrees) but it warms up over the course of the day (highest temps about 22 degrees centigrade), especially when the sun's out. So not quite freezing yet, but I'm sure we'll get there, moving north and further into December.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Thanks, Yoah, good luck on your Camino, I'll be several days behind you.
Buen camino!
Peter

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum