• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking the via de la plata

Lisakline

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking in March and April of 2019.
Hello! My husband and I are leaving for Sevilla in March, planning to bike from Sevilla ro Santiago. We want to rent bikes in Sevilla and return in Santiago. Any recommendarions for where to rent bikes? Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know - but an alternative would be to buy cheap bikes at Decathlon or similar - as long as you can get racks as well (assume you have panniers) - if u are well off - use a local bike shop!! Then you could sell them or donate in Santiago.
We took our own bikes - we are Uk based, so got the ferry then hired a car to get to our start point of Cadiz. But it is possible to fly with your own bikes as another way.... The advantage of your own is that they are all set up and comfy for you, racks, panniers and tools all ready!!
Whatever way you do it - have a great Camino - tis a lovely route - lots of off-road, peace and quiet, but a fair number of pilgrims at the albergues of an evening. The wild horses and the oak pastures are sublime.... lets hope you don't get snow in the mountains like we did!! Bon Camino!

I don't know - but an alternative would be to buy cheap bikes at Decathlon or similar - as long as you can get racks as well (assume you have panniers) - if u are well off - use a local bike shop!! Then you could sell them or donate in Santiago.
We took our own bikes - we are Uk based, so got the ferry then hired a car to get to our start point of Cadiz. But it is possible to fly with your own bikes as another way.... The advantage of your own is that they are all set up and comfy for you, racks, panniers and tools all ready!!
Whatever way you do it - have a great Camino - tis a lovely route - lots of off-road, peace and quiet, but a fair number of pilgrims at the albergues of an evening. The wild horses and the oak pastures are sublime.... lets hope you don't get snow in the mountains like we did!! Bon Camino!
I really like your idea, we have our own paniers. I think I will do that! Have a friend I can donate them too in Barcelona, where we are heading afterwards. Thanks!!! I checked a bit into rentals, pretty dang expensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have cycled the VDLP using BikeIberia who will deliver to Seville and collect at Santiago (subject to hotel choice).

They have both e- and non e- bikes. If you are fit, you probably can get away with non electric as there are long stretches of flat. Check out the N630 as the spine of any route as going off road in the early part requires an MTB (or e-MTB)

Attachments

• Beyond Puente Río Tajo.JPG
    Beyond Puente Río Tajo.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 13
  • N-631 towards Tabara.JPG
    N-631 towards Tabara.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • Cheer up.JPG
    Cheer up.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
I have cycled the VDLP using BikeIberia who will deliver to Seville and collect at Santiago (subject to hotel choice).

They have both e- and non e- bikes. If you are fit, you probably can get away with non electric as there are long stretches of flat. Check out the N630 as the spine of any route as going off road in the early part requires an MTB (or e-MTB)
Thank you so much!

Another option could be to buy good second hand bikes. Check / contact the local bike shops, look on Wallapop or Milanuncios as there are usually 100s of bikes for sale and it should be a buyers market.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have rented several times from Triana Backpackers, which is also a great place to begin your VdlP. Just google them, they have a comprehensive web page.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Triana albergue also had the Spanish guidebook which gave alternative cycle route in a few 'goat path' places! We bought this (having been mostly off-road from Cadiz to Seville!) and actually used it - my husband was still angry that we cycled over the Portela Grande on the Portuguese! (I say cycled - spent the day lugging bicycles, trailer, panniers up mountain - tears and tantrums all the way!!)
So it is recommended!!
My avatar is a pic from the VdlP - after the snow in Galicia!!

How was the ride from Cadiz to Sevilla?

Apart from the heat 30 degrees plus! It was fantastic! Cadiz is a wonderful city to have a couple of days RnR before setting off. We were on tracks most of the time with salt lagoons etc - even had runner beans cascade into our path for dinner! (overloaded local) Jerex de la Frontera is a great place - we went to the Tradicion Bodega - which not only does an amazingly interesting tour and tasting - but then lets you view their outstanding art collection.... it was one of my favourite days ever! It was mostly flat - always a blessing in heat - and worked to get our legs in shape.... one hill on the way tho - and it was absolutely covered in wild flowers.... We found easy places to camp along the way - campsite across the lagoon from Cadiz and then wild. Only met one other pilgrim on that section - plenty more after Seville. I was glad i had downloaded a map of the route at home and drawn it on my own map - the signage was sparse! We always seemed to find a shop, bar etc when we needed one!
It made a lovely quiet start and got us into shape for the quite strenuous, but gorgeous VdlP! Recommended!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Meant to add- we started on April fool's day! We took 5 weeks in all to Santiago.... we did stop to see everything en route - there are some fantastic towns - Zamora, Salamanca, Caceres - and Merida for Easter Sunday was unforgettable!

Thanks to everyone for the insightful comments. We couldn't be more excited! Arriving at Triana hostel on March 13, finding bikes and starting our ride!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back