• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a travelguide?

dagmar

This summer I'll be walking the camino for the first time.
I've trekked before and we mapped out our route very precisely before we left, on a detailed map. This however, was because we walked in isolated areas where you wouldn't meet a soul in days.
From what I've heard there will be lots of pilgrims walking in July/August, which is when I'll be starting my walk.

So my question is, do I need to carefully map out a route before I leave in order not to get lost or will I be alright following other pilgrims and signs on the way?

If I do need a map, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for all the great advice on this forum

Dagmar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, you do not "need" one. You will be able to easily follow the waymarking and the waves of pilgrims to Santiago.

However, I love Brierley's guide because it allowed me to plan stops "between the stages" the other pilgrims walked... giving me more options for lodging. It also gave a bit of history or information on the places passed, which was helpful.

He also offers a simple map book without all the verbage.

Anniesantiago said:
No, you do not "need" one. You will be able to easily follow the waymarking and the waves of pilgrims to Santiago.

However, I love Brierley's guide because it allowed me to plan stops "between the stages" the other pilgrims walked... giving me more options for lodging. It also gave a bit of history or information on the places passed, which was helpful.

He also offers a simple map book without all the verbage.

Annie is on the money with this one. Brierley also encourages/reminds you to make the effort to detour to places like Eunate, Suso, Yuso and Cana etc which are so worthwhile if you can take the time to include them. In addition he gives little tips that can make all the difference to your Camino such the time of the Pilgrims masses at Roncevalles or letting you know that the cordoned off sitting area at the top the cathedral in Santiago is not, as you might think, reserved for some ecclesiastical elite, but in fact for ordinary pilgrims like you and me! (it was thanks to JB we got some the 'best seats in the house' when we attended mass at the end of our journey)

And Annie, loath though I am to admit it, as my route takes me off the Brierley radar I think I'm even beginning to miss the rather rambling (but mercifully short) prose of his personal reflections :shock:
Nell

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You don't need any guide to show you the trail, or find a place to stay. I prefer to be spontaneous. I go to a guide to learn the history of the place. Stuff that is boring at home is fascinating when it is in front of you. I'd look for one long on history and culture, short on trail and food/lodging info.

But that's just me.

Brierley's little mapbook is excellent. Easy to carry and you can see the villages during the day and how far it is between the. If you start in St. Jean Pied du Port the pilgrim office will give you a sheet with all the stages on one side and the name of albergues/ refugios on the back. You really do not need anything else.
ranthr

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
IMHO - different view.....
i walked the VDLP in Sept 2010
using only the SCJ's "guide" in effect a verrry trimmed down map with a few words of description
i can only describe this experience as orgasmic
.....the thrill of rounding a corner at Puente Quintos, and seeing the massive lake, then walking through the reserve and seeing all the antelope was sooo invigorating
every corner a thrill
every step a newfreshness
every discovery my own
i felt like i was the first person on earth to have been there
naturally i did a bit of "off-piste" walking because i got very lost
ah, and the thrill of finding my way again

There is a January 2011 edition of the Brierley book of maps. It may be updated with the new albergues that sprang up last year, but I have not checked it.

Hi, I agree Birieley's guide is great, Its nice and compact with accurate maps. With this guide you can be rest assured you will not get lost.

Have a great Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If all you are interested in is staying on the route and finding the next alburgue you don't need a guide, just follow the yellow arrows and the other pilgrims. If you want to know anything about what you are walking through/past, things like "that bridge was built by the Romans in 300 BC" or "that church has some of the greatest carvings in Spain" or "there is a supermarket 200 meters off the camino behind the main square" or where the next water fountain is then a guide like Brierley is indispensible. You can travel across the US or Europe without a map or guidebook but you will certainly miss at lot in the process.

I think that Brierly is the best for all the above reasons , but also because the guide fits comfortably into a lot of pockets particularly those side type of pockets that are found in combat trousers.
It is easy to get at without having to stop and remove your rucksack.
Very important when on the Camino !
Buen Camino !

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back