• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you have a photo of the turnoff to Sarria?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church.

The last time I walked there was a turn off to the right, up the highway further and it was well signed.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of this turn off point?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church.

The last time I walked there was a turn off to the right, up the highway further and it was well signed.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of this turn off point?
Just follow the LU 633 road out of Samos ( there is a dedicated walk way safe from traffic) after 3kms you will see the Meson Pontenova bar/restaurant over on the right hand side of the road. Follow the Camino sign and cross over VERY carefully and be mindful of traffic as it’s a busy bend in the road. Just past the door of Meson Pontenova there is a formal Camino sign directing you onwards. I pulled these photos from GOOGLE Maps so I hope the come across clearly. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_2639.png
    IMG_2639.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2638.png
    IMG_2638.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 169
Just follow the LU 633 road out of Samos ( there is a dedicated walk way safe from traffic) after 3kms you will see the Meson Pontenova bar/restaurant over on the right hand side of the road. Follow the Camino sign and cross over VERY carefully and be mindful of traffic as it’s a busy bend in the road. Just past the door of Meson Pontenova there is a formal Camino sign directing you onwards. I pulled these photos from GOOGLE Maps so I hope the come across clearly. 👍
WAIT.
When I go to Google Maps and follow that road, it goes past the Meson then around in a "C" shape and goes right back to the highway. Is this right????

I prefer the old way. I don't think this is the place they dropped us off.

In the second photo a bit BEFORE the Meson where you see the bus stops is where I usually turn.
See how it goes up past the pig farm on the right? There is a big yellow arrow on the entrance to that road.

Seems like they just want you to stop at the Meson. Is there a track from the Meson the Google Map isn't showing?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.28.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.28.27 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.29.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.29.34 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.36.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.36.14 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In april 2022 I walked there and took a photo of the statue in front of the Meson. Behind the Mason you can See a sign pointing to the right.
As I record my tracks I was able to find the exact route I took, just following the signs. So I think the ‘official’ route does not go last the pig farm.

Schermafbeelding 2024-03-14 om 18.14.02.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here is a Google Maps satellite view of the area I think we are talking about. Caminos are in red. I believe these came from a @David Tallan share. From the Meson you see a red trail headed north through a line of trees to Casa Xaymaca where it turns left. There is a church right behind Casa Xaymaca.
Screenshot_20240314-140731.png
Meson Pontenova is located here for you to bring up the same screen (minus the Camino red lines). Zooming in with satellite view you should be able to see the start of the trail.

ok thanks.
I love the track that goes past the pig farm as it also goes by a small church that is very interesting.
I think I'll stick to that one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In april 2022 I walked there and took a photo of the statue in front of the Meson. Behind the Mason you can See a sign pointing to the right.
As I record my tracks I was able to find the exact route I took, just following the signs. So I think the ‘official’ route does not go last the pig farm.

View attachment 166088
Did you go past a small church fairly soon after leaving the Meson?

Did you go past a small church fairly soon after leaving the Meson?
OpenStreetMap.org has a walking distance of 1 km (13 minutes) between the Meson and the Igrexa de Santa Baia de Pascais (behind Casa Xaymaca). Is that what you mean by fairly soon?

Photos of that church can be found by clicking Photos on the following webpage.

Last edited:
I looked at my photos and the only little church I have taken a photo of is about two hours walking later. It is small, but I think it is not the one your looking for. ( photo is taken when I passed the church looking backwards).
IMG_7106.png
It is a lovely church!
The iPhone location information showes this location:
IMG_7107.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I looked at my photos and the only little church I have taken a photo of is about two hours walking later. It is small, but I think it is not the one your looking for. ( photo is taken when I passed the church looking backwards).
View attachment 166109
It is a lovely church!
View attachment 166108

Google Maps shows this as Capela da Ascensión de Perros. This doesn't match the names on the sign though. You can get photos with the following link:

So, maybe all dogs do get to go to heaven. 🤣

OpenStreetMap.org has a walking distance of 1 km (13 minutes) between the Meson and the Igrexa de Santa Baia de Pascais (behind Casa Xaymaca). Is that what you mean by fairly soon?

Photos of that church can be found by clicking Photos on the following webpage.
Yes! That is the church. So the two trails must hook up. Ok thanks!

View attachment 166109
It is a lovely church!
View attachment 166108
Different church but aren't they all just fantastic!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back