• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Double check when you call your banks to inform of travel...

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Not certain this applies as much to those in Europe...
BUT I leave tomorrow for Camino number two and one of my friends is there now (coming from the States), she called both Chase and Bank of America prior to going and has not had access to either account over there in a week.

SO...my advice, call...and call again...to inform them of your travels and where you will be.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always call at least one week in advance AND I send them an e-mail via the secure messaging system that the bank has attached to your account for contacting customer service. I also cc myself.

This way, I will have a copy with me, on my iPod Touch. It has always worked, at least for the 30 years I traveled globally on business and leisure.

Also, DO NOT forget to take the correct phone numbers for the fraud-prevention office for whoever manages your card(s). If your account is blocked this is where you need to call. Typically, they are open 24x7.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good advice from everyone. Also keep in mind that because of the increased potential for fraud in Spain that many (most?) places will ask for your passport as identification. I had this happen just getting gas for a rental car. It didn't happen in France.

Help with ALSA

I have been trying to make my bus reservations using my iPad. I have used both the Spanish and English interfaces and neither has accepted the transaction.... Pay pal does not have a drop down to select passport (just NIF/NIE) so it will not transact. The ALSA app is also no go....

Will I need to fire up the computer? Suggestions welcome.

It would help to know what country your credit cards are in, but I think you didn't complete that part of your profile.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I informed my bank (Natwest) before going on Camino and was told that it made no difference, my card could still be blocked! Always take another card just to be sure

Alsa booking...my experience on a PC (CDN) was that it wanted my card to be registered with "Verified by Visa/Mastercard". I just closed the popup that wanted that extra password but it turns out they were serious in wanting what they called "the digital signature issued by your bank."

In the end I have decided to wing it without a reservation as I wasn't totally sure which one I would be in time for anyway. It will sort itself out some way.

Lynda

I managed to book Alsa tickets via Paypal last year. Cant recall how I did it but it is possible if you persevere.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hmmmm, it is a USA card. However, the problem was not the card, the problem was that there was no drop down menu to select "Passport number" after inputting the card number so the passenger information was rejected as incomplete. This was the case for credit card, pay pal, in both Spanish and English. I will try the laptop tomorrow since I believe it is an interface issue with the tablet... Oh well, no big, the bus has plenty of seats available. I just do not feel like winging it so I will stay on it :)

Have a wonderful time on the Way and thanks for the reminder ;)
Perhaps her account has been hacked since she's been on the Way. That is so unfortunate to be without funds! I had no problems with my Compass Bank card, whatsoever.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back