• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

End of a ritual....

frescotours

Time of past OR future Camino
First one Frances 1999 (from Burgos), since then...over 100 in Galicia, Portugal, Basque....
I arrived to Santiago last week with our group and we found that they have roped off the center column of the Puerta de la Gloria, which meant that pilgrims could no longer place their fingers in the Tree of Jesse or tap their head on Master Mateo.

Does anyone know if this a temporary or permenant decision?

Fortunately, we were lucky enough to see the Botafumiero!

Hope all is well - Buen Camino to everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Welcome home frescotours :!: I've seen it roped off through the years, accesible at specific hours, maybe for crowd control. Best, xm 8)

PS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyv5vhC ... 20santiago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSLK5FWC ... 20santiago

The Portico del Gloria

A few years ago there were reports that cracks were appearing in the marble pillar bearing the Tree of Jesse which was being weakened and becoming vulnerable. Authorities spoke of disallowing pilgrims to lean on the marble column and put their hands on the column until they could find a way of repairing it.
Perhaps this is the reason?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There was an article in El Correo about this, they put it up before easter due to " the masses of tourists that would be coming". I can't remember if this was temporary or not, but i would imagine...

... the cathedral has just begun a bigger renovation of the inside, starting with some wall paintings and so on, this may be related to that, not sure.

The sun is back in Santiago!
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum