• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Excited for my first Camino in May

Nichola Scurry

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino Frances in May 2018
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum - it's a wealth of knowledge, inspiring and entertaining :)

I'm Nichola from Melbourne, Australia. I'll be setting off from Saint Jean Pied de Port on 6 May 2018 with the intention of walking the entire Camino Frances. Can't wait! I love Spain and this will be my third summer there. I heard about the Camino the first time I was there and always wanted to do it, but when I started my research about six months ago, I felt more and more drawn to it, and 2018 is the year! I have all my gear, am improving my overall fitness at the gym and walk a lot. Could do with a few more long-distance walks carrying my pack though! I speak some Spanish too, and looking forward to chatting with locals and other Spanish speakers I meet on the way. My pack, including water and poles is currently 7 kilos and I'd like to get it down to 6 kilos, but I have a couple months to work on that. I don't really have any questions, as I've already found so many answers in this excellent forum already, but I wanted to say hello. Hopefully see some of you on the way!

Nichola

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum - it's a wealth of knowledge, inspiring and entertaining :)

I'm Nichola from Melbourne, Australia. I'll be setting off from Saint Jean Pied de Port on 6 May 2018 with the intention of walking the entire Camino Frances. Can't wait! I love Spain and this will be my third summer there. I heard about the Camino the first time I was there and always wanted to do it, but when I started my research about six months ago, I felt more and more drawn to it, and 2018 is the year! I have all my gear, am improving my overall fitness at the gym and walk a lot. Could do with a few more long-distance walks carrying my pack though! I speak some Spanish too, and looking forward to chatting with locals and other Spanish speakers I meet on the way. My pack, including water and poles is currently 7 kilos and I'd like to get it down to 6 kilos, but I have a couple months to work on that. I don't really have any questions, as I've already found so many answers in this excellent forum already, but I wanted to say hello. Hopefully see some of you on the way!

Nichola
Hi Nichola we are departing SJPP on 5th May. We are from Noosa and certainly older than you so no doubt you will pass us! We carry green Aarn packs with front pockets so will be easy to spot. Will be at Orisson 5th and Roncesvalles on the 6th. We are at 7 and 8kg each happy with that. See you on the road. Carol and Lou

Hi Nichola
My wife and I are starting at roughly the same time but doing Le Puy - SJPP - Irun - Oviedo - Santiago over 10 weeks. We won't see you but we ARE from Melbourne and we have a number of walks we do over trails in and around the city and suburbs that replicate camino conditions. If you'd like us to share some of them with you, let me know.

We also podcast our preparations and our camino 'live' once we head off. You can listen to it here

Buen camino

David

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nichola we are departing SJPP on 5th May. We are from Noosa and certainly older than you so no doubt you will pass us! We carry green Aarn packs with front pockets so will be easy to spot. Will be at Orisson 5th and Roncesvalles on the 6th. We are at 7 and 8kg each happy with that. See you on the road. Carol and Lou
Hi Carol and Lou, I also have an Aarn backpack but without front pockets. Tried it out on a 10km walk carrying 4 kg and hardly felt a thing, love it! I’ll look out for you and your green packs, although I’m not an overly fast walker. Maybe our paths will cross though :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nichola,
Welcome and enjoy your camino! I will be doing my first in the Fall... I need more training! I hope your journey holds all you need

Hi Nichola
My wife and I are starting at roughly the same time but doing Le Puy - SJPP - Irun - Oviedo - Santiago over 10 weeks. We won't see you but we ARE from Melbourne and we have a number of walks we do over trails in and around the city and suburbs that replicate camino conditions. If you'd like us to share some of them with you, let me know.

We also podcast our preparations and our camino 'live' once we head off. You can listen to it here

Buen camino

David
Hi David, would love to hear about some of the walks around Melbourne you’ve been doing. I live in East Brunswick so have been walking up and down the Merri Creek trail. I’ll be sure to listen to your podcast. Buen camino to you both!

Buen Camino Nichola.
We depart St Jean on 25th April.
You should catch us by Leon! We’re slow :oops:
Buen camino to you too, Robo. I’m not planning on walking too fast and I’m lucky not to have a deadline. I may not catch you, but will keep a lookout for you :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nichola,
Welcome and enjoy your camino! I will be doing my first in the Fall... I need more training! I hope your journey holds all you need
Hi Micah, all the best for your camino too! I’m sure it will be a wonderful journey :)

Hi,

Nichola
Michael and Lynne from Wollongong. Hope you have a great time. We’ll be leaving St Jean on the 7th so we may see you on the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

Nichola
Hi Nichola
My friend and I are from the northern rivers near Byron Bay NSW and we are leaving for our first Camino on the 6th May from Saint Jean Pied de Port.
Like you say this is a very helpful forum. Lots of useful information. Like you I've been training with my pack but need to fit in some longer walks. I have most of my gear and am looking forward to such an adventure.
We may bump into one another
Happy preparing
Ruth

Hi Nichola
My friend and I are from the northern rivers near Byron Bay NSW and we are leaving for our first Camino on the 6th May from Saint Jean Pied de Port.
Like you say this is a very helpful forum. Lots of useful information. Like you I've been training with my pack but need to fit in some longer walks. I have most of my gear and am looking forward to such an adventure.
Happy preparing
Ruth
Hi Ruth, I’ll keep a look out for you. Looks like there’ll be a few of us Aussies heading out in May :)

Hi Nichola
Happy preparing
Ruth
Hi Ruth we leave SJPP on the 5th. Will see you. From Noosa.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I may bump into you, too. I start from SJPP on May 1 or 2, and I'm not planning to go fast as I have seven weeks before I have to be back home.

Hi Nicola and Welcome to the Forum.

As it happens, as I was booking a flight this week, I discovered that I would be able to save $100 by going a week earlier than I had originally planned so I will arrive in SLPdP on May 6 and begin walking May 7, likely. However, I may start right off the train and head for Valcarlos. (I have done Route Napoleon). It is my intention to be on the Camino for both Mother's Day and Father's Day.

So, I do hope we cross paths along the Way.

Hi Nicola and Welcome to the Forum.

As it happens, as I was booking a flight this week, I discovered that I would be able to save $100 by going a week earlier than I had originally planned so I will arrive in SLPdP on May 6 and begin walking May 7, likely. However, I may start right off the train and head for Valcarlos. (I have done Route Napoleon). It is my intention to be on the Camino for both Mother's Day and Father's Day.

So, I do hope we cross paths along the Way.
Hi Michelle, how exciting that your flight is booked! I’ll look out for you and the others who have commented. Would be nice to run into you :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I intend to start the Camino Frances end April but I haven't booked my flight yet. I'm not that organised as I applied for a new job but didn't get it. So now I am going. I cycle about 20 kilometres every day, and did a 3 day walk in NZ in December and tested my new shoes and socks. No blisters. I look forward to meeting Australians and others along the way. And I'll be asking a lot of questions before I leave.

I intend to start the Camino Frances end April but I haven't booked my flight yet. I'm not that organised as I applied for a new job but didn't get it. So now I am going. I cycle about 20 kilometres every day, and did a 3 day walk in NZ in December and tested my new shoes and socks. No blisters. I look forward to meeting Australians and others along the way. And I'll be asking a lot of questions before I leave.
Hola Aysen,

I’m leaving SJPDP in late April... all the best & if you hear an Aussie accent and remember my face don’t be afraid to say hello.

Hola Aysen,

I’m leaving SJPDP in late April... all the best & if you hear an Aussie accent and remember my face don’t be afraid to say hello.

Hola Consigliere - I have now booked my flights and hopefully, start walking the Camino 2 May. I imagine I will meet a lot of antipodeans along the way, Australians as well as New Zealanders. If I catch up with you, I'll will definitely say 'hola' or 'gidday'.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nichola

I am starting from Burgos on the 22nd May. Wonder if we will meet up?
Buen Camino and welcome to the forums. I have only just joined myself.
Judianne

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.