• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Feast of St James

Maureen O'Donoghue

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago in 2011, Burgos to Santiago in 2014
I started out from Oviedo on 9 July and sometime on Friday I should reach Santiago. Any advice on events planned for the feast day would be much appreciated. Are any special arrangements made to cope with the high number of pilgrims due to arrive on Friday and Saturday? There must be more than the cathedral could accommodate.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am here, in Santiago working as a volunteer until 10 August. The city is filling up with both pilgrims and tourists for the "festa."

Rooms are scarce. The general atmosphere is decidedly festive. I have been privileged to be here 4 times, but this is the first time I am here for the feast of Santiago.

As a general statement I would suggest that Santiago currently has the vibe of New Orleans just before Mardi Gras.

I am told that a world-class light show in the Plaza Obradoiro starts at 23:00 Friday night. This is followed by a HUGE fireworks show at midnight to bring in the Saturday Feast Day.

Each day, there are more street musicians, and Galician marching "bands" of musicians wandering through the historical center. The city has gotten very exciting and animated.

This should be something to see. I get off work at the Pilgrim Office at 5:00. I think I will try to take a nap and return later, in time for the festivities.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@t2andreo what a treat. I was in Santiago for the Feast Day 2004 (a Holy Year; the Feast Day fell on the Sunday) and it was fantastic.

I was there last year, Tom, and it was a lot of fun. If you like fireworks and crowds, you'll be in hog heaven. Even if you don't, you can't help but enjoy yourself, it's a wonderful, festive event. Send pics!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone have a link to a live feed to the light show? The webcam images sent from the square are all I can find - they seem to be in the form of static images that are updated every few minutes.

Most read last week in this forum