• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fire Risk

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all - I just drove to Santiago up from Portugal and have now moved east about 175 miles to offer first aid and pastoral care to pilgrims (I am around Astorga right now).
When I entered Spain there was a forest fire on my left, by the road. As it was right next to the motorway the chances are really high that it was started by a thrown cigarette butt. Helicopters overhead dropping water (and most likely lots of bewildered fish and the occasional aqualung diver), men and women out there risking their lives to control it.

2016-07-22 17.43.56 (816 x 612).jpg

The thing is, this summer is hot and dry, the whole of western Europe is madly hot and dry - it is absolutely like tinder out there ... now, I know none of you would drop lit cigarettes or litter but even an empty plastic bottle can become a lens, even more so if it has some liquid left in it, so if you see careless behaviour please do become involved.
Where I am this evening, just east of Astorga, I was looking to the north at what can only be a forest fire watch tower and way beyond on the horizon I could see a fire (actually smoke from a fire).

Now, I come from damp old England so I don't know much about all this but, should the worst happen, should any of us find ourselves in close contact with a fire ... are there Californians, Aussies, etc, who can give advice?
What does one do? Go for high ground? look for a stream or river? Anyone know?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Excelente inputs @David .

I'm not saying that this was indeed caused by someone ( maybe it was just the sun) but, I still get very depressed thinking on the lack of care human beings practice in the outdoors.

Last couple of times on the Camino you'd be impressed on ho much litter I collected from the paths... Just thrown careless on the floor...

Now, About the fire, unfortunately I cannot give any appropriate advice.

I'm pretty sure someone will have inputs to give us pilgrims...

And for the pilgrims out there. Beware, be careful, stay out of trouble!

Buen camino to you all

Very frightening. We had a terrible fire about 8 years ago. A local B&B owner got all his guests into the local dam, except for one couple who got in their car and tried to drive away. They were caught in the fire. Since then we have had much more controlled burning of fire breaks. I am sure the forested areas of Spain do that too. Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@David this is a great question, but if you are caught near a bush fire on foot you are in very precarious position. You might well have ignored advice from the local fire authorities to get yourself into that circumstance.

There are online resources available from Australian state fire authorities. Use a search using the terms bushfire safety bushwalking. I didn't check what might be available from other bushfire prone countries, but I assume it will be similar.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As you can see on the official statistics: www.magrama.gob.es/es/desarrollo-rural/estadisticas/avanceinformativo1deeneroa17dejuliode2016_tcm7-358485.pdf this year is the one with less fires in the last decade and, overall, the one with less area burnt in the last decade.

I'm not saying that this was indeed caused by someone ( maybe it was just the sun) but, I still get very depressed thinking on the lack of care human beings practice in the outdoors.

There are many possible origins of a fire and, sadly, most of them are human related. BTW, we shouldn't forget about arsonists.

What does one do? Go for high ground? look for a stream or river? Anyone know?

I'm not an expert but in addition to the info on the link provided by @nonami on post number five, I would say: look where the wind is comming from (i.e.: look the direction of the wind) and, if possible, walk in the opposite direction (i.e.: feeling the wind on your face and not on your back).

Being British, you'll probably know the common Emergency Telephone Number of all the EU countries but for anyone reading who doesn't know it it's: 112

Living and walking in the driest state in the driest inhabited continent on the planet I'm always very much bushfire aware. Fortunately, while I've seen quite a few, I've never been caught in one but am always aware of the wind direction whenever I leave home.

Parks Tasmania has excellent information specifically for bushwalkers on bushfires in its walker safety guidelines.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
http://www.campingatv.net/caught-in-a-back-country-wildfire/

Grab your survival kit (never venture into the back country without one) and get as far away as possible from your ATV because most ATVs have plastic fuel tanks that will melt and explode when exposed too high heat. The following is a list of what to do if you are caught in a back country wildfire:

• The safest area would be in a sparse fuel area where there is less to burn.
  • If you are in the mountains, the back side from the fire and wind is the safest.
  • Canyons are considered by the firefighters as a natural “chimney” and saddles. Canyons are the last place you want to be caught out in the open during a wild fire.
  • If there is a road is near, it’s best to lie face down along the road.
  • If there is a ditch you could lie on the uphill side.
  • If there is a large body of water like a pond or lake swim out to the middle.
  • Look for anything that can help shield you from the fire’s heat.
  • Find any kind of depression with as little fuel to burn as possible.
  • Remove fuel away from the spot if there is time while the fire approaches.
  • Lie face down in the depression and cover yourself even if you only have sand or dirt.
  • Avoid wearing synthetic clothing if possible.
  • Remain down on the ground until the fire has passed.
Typically a wildfire will pass in about 1 – 5 minutes. Once the fire has passed be careful because debris on the ground can still be white hot and burned trees and branches can easily fall. Try to find the road or trail you came into the area on. If the trail or road can not be found seek high ground and wait for rescue. Review the Lost in the Back Country post for information and tips on getting found in the back country.

===========
http://www.preventwildfireca.org/
http://www.bia.gov/nifc/prevention/Tips/index.htm

As a general observation, I would expect local authorities in places with a fire risk area through which a Camino route passes to have standing emergency/disaster plans they would activate should pilgrims (and others) be in danger from a bushfire. Following the directions of people implementing these plans would be my first response. Make sure you are either evacuated from the area of the fire, or don't even go there in the first place.

As part of the California contingent, I second all of the good advice above. Brush fires are fast and unpredictable -- I am currently living under the smoke cloud of a brush fire that started Friday in the local mountains and has now engulfed 33,000 acres. There are still 3000 firefighters trying to contain it while it burns the equivalent of 10000 football fields a day.

Best thing to do is stay as far away as possible!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Before we terrify all the new pilgrims out there! Most of the Camino is open land, only some of it is forest enclosed .. I really posted to ask pilgrims to be aware of what they are doing in this tinder box that the heat wave has made - let us hope for no fires whatsoever!!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back