• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino: Frances

Alicemc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, March 2017
Hi all,

I will be walking my first Camino next year, starting from either SJDPP or Roncesvalles around 22nd March. I'll be walking alone but look forward to meeting some of this forum's wonderful characters along the way!

Thanks for all the magnificent information available to first-time walkers like me, the forum is a wealth of information and so supportive :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
starting from either SJDPP or Roncesvalles around 22nd March.
The municipal albergue in Valcarlos will be open, but nothing else between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. The bus does not run from Pamplona to SJPdP that time of year, but there is a bus six days a week to Roncesvalles. For departing in March, Roncesvalles or Pamplona will be most convenient, and weather is not likely to prevent starting.

Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jealous. I'm sure i'll walk many more French Caminos but the first was amazing.

Hi all,

I will be walking my first Camino next year, starting from either SJDPP or Roncesvalles around 22nd March. I'll be walking alone but look forward to meeting some of this forum's wonderful characters along the way!

Thanks for all the magnificent information available to first-time walkers like me, the forum is a wealth of information and so supportive :)

Hi, Alice,

I'm walking my first Camino, also by myself, beginning mid-March 2017. Starting in Roncevalles.

Best of luck,
Anne

The municipal albergue in Valcarlos will be open, but nothing else between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. The bus does not run from Pamplona to SJPdP that time of year, but there is a bus six days a week to Roncesvalles. For departing in March, Roncesvalles or Pamplona will be most convenient, and weather is not likely to prevent starting.

Buen camino!

Thank you! I hadn't realised the bus wouldn't be running so that's great advice :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

Hi, wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi all,

Buen Camino. Seldom alone on Francis unless you want to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! I hadn't realised the bus wouldn't be running so that's great advice :)

Hi Alice :), I'll be walking the Camino end of March. Will be travelling to Pamplona and then take the Corazon Puro option to SJPdP - http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html . I'll be picked up from Pamplona, and then driven to SJPdP on the next morning. I've read lots of great feedback for Corazon Puro and they seem to be very nice people and helpful indeed.

You might consider that option should you wish to start from St. Jean :)

Hi all,

Hi Alice. I'm an active 58 yr Canadian doing my 1st solo CF starting also around March 22-25. I speak Spanish. My start date is flexible depending on final travel to SJPP plans. Are you bringing a sleeping bag? Other strongly suggest, I'm really minimizing by weight, nothing except essential. Hoping we'll meet. Buen camino amiga!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

We'll be a couple of days ahead of you, leaving from St jean. Walking slow, so say Buen Camino as you pass ;)

Looks like the week of March 20th will be a great group of relaxed Peregrinos, I can't wait to meet you all. Buen camino amigas !

Looking forward to meeting you Colette. I'm walking in a group of 4 ladies from Australia. Our goal is to walk slow and laugh lots!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am due to arrive in bayonne on March 22nd... as things stand I am not sure if I will be heading to SJPP to the french way or whether I will instead head to irun and walk the Northern route... time will tell and the camino path for me shall be revealed... Buen Camino in advance, and if our paths cross then I look forward to saying it in person!

I am due to arrive in bayonne on March 22nd... as things stand I am not sure if I will be heading to SJPP to the french way or whether I will instead head to irun and walk the Northern route... time will tell and the camino path for me shall be revealed... Buen Camino in advance, and if our paths cross then I look forward to saying it in person!

Buen Camino & if it's the will of God (good orderly direction) then our paths will c cross Colette

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Alice. I'm an active 58 yr Canadian doing my 1st solo CF starting also around March 22-25. I speak Spanish. My start date is flexible depending on final travel to SJPP plans. Are you bringing a sleeping bag? Other strongly suggest, I'm really minimizing by weight, nothing except essential. Hoping we'll meet. Buen camino amiga!

Hi Colette - yes, I'll be bringing a sleeping bag and a silk liner as I am planning on spending around half my nights in albergues / refugios. I sleep very warm but am a little funny about unclean bedding & want to be prepared for potential snow temperatures along the way! I definitely am taking more than most but I need to, and am confident I can walk with ~9kgs along the way :)

Hi Colette - yes, I'll be bringing a sleeping bag and a silk liner as I am planning on spending around half my nights in albergues / refugios. I sleep very warm but am a little funny about unclean bedding & want to be prepared for potential snow temperatures along the way! I definitely am taking more than most but I need to, and am confident I can walk with ~9kgs along the way :)

Thanks Alice. My dates are now finalized. Arriving in SJPP 18 March around noon from Pamplona (hoping to taxi share to getbto SJPP earlier). Staying at Beilari Albergue 1st night, starting Sunday March 19 probably only to Valcarlos, want to start slower and build up, I have 44 days total. Perhaps we will cross paths. Bueno camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back