• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino in July

gicanzo

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (July 2015)
Hi everyone,

I am leaving for my first camino (Norte) in no more than 10 days, starting from Irun and walking the whole way to Santiago.
I have read many guides and posts on this and other forums so I think I am already aware of the most important tips/items to bring/etc.
My question is: do you have any "original" tips which you think are not usually found in the guides?
For example, I recently found out that shortly after Irun there are two alternative ways, the Alpinista, going up the mountain, and another one which goes flat. Everyone I've read agrees the Alpinista is way more beautiful. Are there any other parts of the camino in which I will have to choose between alternative paths, with one being definitely more beautiful (landscapes and the like) of the other?
I was also wondering: do you think it would be possible at least in some parts of the camino to leave off at morning without taking any food with you and just picking on the way what nature offers you (fruits and the like)?
Any other suggestion on any matter is more than welcome :)

Thank you!
Giuseppe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Out of Bilbao you can follow the Camino or take a much shorger route to Portugalete following the river in the industrial,section of town. Ugly, but short.

After Guemes there are also 2 routes, one along the road, and the "pretty" but sligtly longer anlong the coast, but it's not that pretty. see how you feel about the extra distance.

Avoid the albergue in Santander, walk on to Sta Cruz or Boo, the albergue is at the foot of the train stop where you take the train for 1 stop to cross a river and avoid a 9km detour.

Out of Zarautz you can go through the mountan or alomg the coast via road. It's a nice walk. After it you can also take 2 ways, one alomg thecoast, but much longer, one up and down the hill. If you go this way have lunch in the hamlet in front of a txacoli vinwyard, the lady makes a wonderful tuna steak.

The muni in Castrouriales is tiny but has à Carrefour 100 meters from it. Super convinient.

Stay at the Santurino albergue is Hazas and ask how to leave through the mountains towards the San Julian ruins and see what is probably the most beautiful spot on all the camino when you pass by the beach at the bottom of a cliff.

In San Vicente de la Barquera avoidmthe muni at all cost.

And no, I don't think you will be able to feed yourself on wild fruits and veggies, if you do see some, like figs in the fall, they most likely belong to the person onwhose property the tree is. But you also do not need go bring any food with you as you will find bakeries, cafes, bars along the way.

Anyone else?

Hi Giuseppe, if you decide to stay on the Norte instead of going on to the Primitivo later on in the Camino when you get to Soto de Luina take the mountain option instead of the road option to Cadevedeo, it goes via Sierra de las Palancas, it is not advisable in bad weather but it takes the way of an old cattle droving road. I have posted some info on here for that subject, it is way marked but you will need a map, try putting 'Peter Robins Walking Pilgrim' into google search, on his mapping for the Norte he has this route and you can get very detailed and small scale printouts. Very few people do it, they are advised against it but I have seen several reports saying it can be done and is not as bad as they were informed.

Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone,

I am leaving for my first camino (Norte) in no more than 10 days, starting from Irun and walking the whole way to Santiago.
I have read many guides and posts on this and other forums so I think I am already aware of the most important tips/items to bring/etc.
My question is: do you have any "original" tips which you think are not usually found in the guides?
For example, I recently found out that shortly after Irun there are two alternative ways, the Alpinista, going up the mountain, and another one which goes flat. Everyone I've read agrees the Alpinista is way more beautiful. Are there any other parts of the camino in which I will have to choose between alternative paths, with one being definitely more beautiful (landscapes and the like) of the other?
I was also wondering: do you think it would be possible at least in some parts of the camino to leave off at morning without taking any food with you and just picking on the way what nature offers you (fruits and the like)?
Any other suggestion on any matter is more than welcome :)

Thank you!
Giuseppe

Giuseppe:

There are several alternative routes almost daily on the Norte, including deviations to the e-9. That said, I recommend you just go with the flow and not try to plan too much. Gronze and Eroski guide give good information on available accommodations and list a lot of the Alternatives.

Seaside walking or deviations, this route is a great walk. Talk to Hospitalero's, they have good suggestions on alternate tracks.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.