• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Pilgrimage

LindsayD

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2024
Hello all! My husband and I are set to undertake our first ever pilgrimage at the end of the month. We are planning to walk from Coimbra to Fatima - arriving in Fatima on the afternoon of 1st April ( the anniversary of my mum's passing 3 years ago).
I have done a fair amount of research and have booked accommodation along route. I guess because it's our first pilgrimage and I'm a tad nervy anyway, I think I am overthinking the concerns quite a bit. Is it a safe route? What if we can't find the signs? etc etc. I'm sure once we are up and running it will be fine, I guess I'm just looking for some words of wisdom from those experienced in this walk.
I think its the section between Alvorge and Freixanda that's concerning me most as looking at the map. We have been trying to learn some basic Portuguese to help us along the way xxx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all! My husband and I are set to undertake our first ever pilgrimage at the end of the month. We are planning to walk from Coimbra to Fatima - arriving in Fatima on the afternoon of 1st April ( the anniversary of my mum's passing 3 years ago).
I have done a fair amount of research and have booked accommodation along route. I guess because it's our first pilgrimage and I'm a tad nervy anyway, I think I am overthinking the concerns quite a bit. Is it a safe route? What if we can't find the signs? etc etc. I'm sure once we are up and running it will be fine, I guess I'm just looking for some words of wisdom from those experienced in this walk.
I think its the section between Alvorge and Freixanda that's concerning me most as looking at the map. We have been trying to learn some basic Portuguese to help us along the way xxx
The way to Fatima is well marked in Portugal. You’ll have no problem following the blue arrows.

The way to Fatima is well marked in Portugal. You’ll have no problem following the blue arrows.

Was in Fatima in January. The route is well marked. Just look for the blue arrows or signs like the one in the pic.

As regards safety, you might want to wear bright clothing such as a hi-viz vest. Pilgrim groups, usually Portuguese, often have a leader / someone at the back with such a vest. Roads, when you are on them, are quiet though.

Make sure you are carrying snacks and water (especially) as there may not be cafes/shops on route at times you might want them.

As regards the language, I managed with English, or pointing, or Google translate. The Portuguese are very accommodating - and patient.

P1000532.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

A local (central Portuguese) news source reported recently on the newly marked routes to Fatima from 1/ Serta 2/Tomar and 3/ Abrantes (east of Vila Nova da Barquinha on the Tejo/Tagus). Here's a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back