• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time 100 to 150 kms

bpondugula

Hallo all

Due to my lack of experience in walking long distances, I would like to walk the first time atleast 100-150 kilometers.

Can anybody point me to a good starting point, and ways to get there. I live in Amsterdam (near), if there are anybody doing the travelling....

Thanks in advance

Bharat

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
O'Cebreiro (bus from Santiago to Piedrafita then walk up the hill) is a great starting point as it gives you some time up in the mountains. That would be about 150km of walking.

You're definitely looking at somewhere between there and Sarria (the last point at which you can do an "official" pilgrimage).

Wulf

Hi Bharat,

I have two suggestions for a starting point:

1) Sarria - is located on the last stretch of the camino Frances, 111km from Santiago. This last stretch is probably the busiest part since the camino Frances. For some more information do a search for "sarria" in the forum from the main page:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.santiago-today.com/board//">http://www.santiago-today.com/board//</a>

You will find post like this:
viewtopic.php?t=1352

2) Valenca (border Spain-Portugal)- is about 118km from Santiago. Valenca is located on the Portuguese side, Tui is the name of the town on the Spanish side. This walk will be less busy, but parts of it has burt recently. Have a look at the camino Portuguese section of the forum and do a search for "Valenca" to find some more info. Here is a map

Some links:
viewforum.php?f=13
viewtopic.php?t=1331

I hope this helps,
Ivar

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hallo Wulf, Ivar

Thanks for the Information. I want to do atmax 150 kms in a week. This is my first time at walking long distances.

Next year, I would like to do the 800 kms.

Bus from Santiago to Piedrafita is a good option. I should start to plan about this. And Wulf you are right. I would like to do the official pilgrimage.

Thank you for the info.

Regards
Bharat

As part of your planning and preparation, don't forget to include some long distance walks nearer home, getting used to your gear (and how your body responds to the ordeal).

In the early days of walking the camino, you will think about how tired you feel and how far you have to go and wonder if you will ever make it. Knowing that you can walk 20+ km in a day isn't the same as knowing you can do it every day for a week (you can!) but helps toward that.

Wulf

It is possible....

Time is what the Camino is about -- not just the walking... It is best to haev no deadline when one walks the Camino -- but if you do then
maybe 100-150 kms is a good idea..

If you have time then I wd suggest just walk from St Jean -- Classic Camino Frances -- 748 --800 kms... All muscels ache the first few days BUT>>>Each day as you walk you will get stronger and then you fidn yourself walking 50 kms and not being tired a bit!! The feet hurt a lot at times and the first two weeks are a bit rough if you are completly unfit..
but then your body gets enmeshed with the soul and mind and it is fine.. really...
Make sure you haev good walking boots.. as they are your life.. and also pak carefully..gear.. and take dried fruits such as almonds and apricots and figs..And WATER>>

You will also get everything in Spain --

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hallo katy06

I agree, time should be made available to enjoy the experience

But my decision was based on my lack of

a, experience in hiking

b, experience in spain. its going to be my first time to spain

next year in oktober, i hope to do the 800 kms.

Regards
Bharat

Bharat:
A good test run of about 120km would be from Logrono to Burgos. Logrono is easily accessible by public bus from Bilbao International airport, and there are several daily buses back to Bilbao from Burgos.

It is a very scenic and not too demanding walk, mostly through the mellow hills of the Rioja valleys and vinyards. Then at last, Burgos with its magnificent cathedral is a worthy endpoint, which will make you want to return and see more, and there is plenty more to be seen, next time around.

Another good section to walk would actually be from St. Jean Pied de Port to Logrono, but that stretch is a good bit longer and somewhat more demanding because of the Pyrenees crossing at first, and SJPdP is not that easy to reach from, say, Bilbao.

I really recommend Logrono to Burgos as a starter.

Enjoy,
K.

Most who do the walk have no experience of hiking - believe it or not..
And, I was one of them.. And,Spain is tres magnfique in every sense of the word,/People are simply amazingly kind and tolerant of us peregrinos as we walk through their villages and beyond..

Iwd say do the 800 kms now.. you cannot imagine how magical ( and very possible to do) it is..
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.