• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walker says hi!

Megan2014

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on the forum for a few months, but thought I should introduce myself now as my departure for SJPP looms nigh. At the beginning of this year I made a surprising decision (to me and my loved ones both) to walk the Camino in April/ May this year, and I'm now counting down the days with eager anticipation until I leave Sydney (Australia) on April 13 . I'm not sure if I'll make it to Santiago (or even to Roncesvalles as I'm not the world's fittest person and with only 3 months' training behind me I've set myself an incredible challenge), but I'm really looking forward to finding out what I can achieve.
I really appreciate the words of wisdom and support of everyone who contributes to this forum, and I already feel like I'm part of something 'bigger'. Every time I have doubts about my choice to walk, I read some of the posts here and I am inspired again.
Looking forward to meeting some of you along the trail :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The spring flowers will be beautiful. Take time to enjoy them.
Ultraeia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just got back from my first Camino, and all I can say is that it is much more difficult than you could ever imagine, there are days when really everything hurts! But it is really, really worth it! Just go one day at a time, respect youself and your body, and when you feel you can't go on, just remeber why you wanted to do the Camino in the first place and remember all the pilgrims that already have passed those same spots you are passing - these thoughts helped me a lot!

Buen Camino!
I'm a first time walker too - but am not going til 2017, so I'll be training as much as possible - between now and then!

Buen Camino Megan2104 !!! You'll do splendidly, I'm sure !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Megan, it seems like we had a similar idea! I decided out of the blue to walk at the beginning of this year as well. I'm a sailor but wanted to do something to take me out of my comfort zone :) I fly out of Sydney on the 9th, I'll see you along The Way!

Buen Camino, Megan! I'm heading for my first Camino in April myself, though you'll be arriving a few weeks ahead of me. All the best to you on your upcoming journey!

Hi Megan, Skye and Kazenouta
I can feel your excitement oozing onto the forum. I'm so happy you don't have long to wait to 'be there' but time enough still to read through the forum and 'stretch' the camino out a little longer, by reading about some of the experiences others have had on their camino. Yours will all be unique and unforgettable and I hope you are able to tell us how it goes for you. Rest assured you will have made some wonderful new friends and have a special love for Spain and the Spanish people, (or increased it!). This makes us all want to come back again to walk another route! You just never know!

I'm so glad I found 'The Way!'

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pack light--almost everything you think you might need can be bought in Spain. Once there, go with the flow. Be open doing things on a whim. When in doubt, ask others--many of those around you have walked before and will be more than happy to answer any questions. Listen to your body. If it's telling you to take a break, then do so. Rotate your socks every 90 minutes to help prevent blisters. Drink more water than you think you need to drink. And most importantly, trust the Camino. It will provide what you need.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.